What arch's do you look forward to in 2006? - Page 2

Re: What arch's do you look forward to in 2006?
Whats' the 1 cycle mean?  fully pipelined, 1 instruction execution per
clock?

Re: What arch's do you look forward to in 2006?

  These days, 1 cycle means at least one opcode can execute in one clock.
Back in the mists of time, N8051's needed 12/24/48 clocks per opcode,
then some clock doubled, then newer cores arrived, with /2, or /1
clocks, and some have wider memory fetches, which also expands the
bandwidth. Other companies with 1 cycle C51's are ST (uPSD-USB) and STC
-jg

Re: What arch's do you look forward to in 2006?

Me ,
more fpga's
STI Cell , TI  DM6446.

What about the ones you don't look forward to working with ?
or architectures to avoid if possible ?

Alex

Re: What arch's do you look forward to in 2006?
Wow, I'm green with envy if you're actually going to get to play with
the DM6446.

It looks amazing.  Far better integrated than the Blackfin BF561 I was
looking at.  After bitbanging 56k serial and trying to keep sync with
wall power on a one timer Scenix/Ubicom SX chip, I think I've started
to realize hwo important integrated really is.

rektide

Re: What arch's do you look forward to in 2006?

Not out until April, so expect to see it after May.

I couldn't say it if is better integrated than the BF561 or not.
I have not yet worked with any omap processors (which appear fairly similar)
so I'll reserve judgement until after I been using it for a while

Sx. Much prefer having hardware peripherals to doing it in software.

Been pretty lucky so far.

pic -> 8051 / avr /sx
------>  cpld -> fpga
-----------------> dsps 56f805 -> BF533 -> C6713 -> DM642

I've used pics, cplds , fpgas and the TI chips for work.
The analog devices Ezkits are pretty good, as is the blackfin stamp.

The xilinx spartan3 kits are great value and looking forward to getting my
hands
on one of the S3e kits
XC3S500E, ethernet , lcd(2x16) , 64MB ram , 16MB flash , 2MB spi flash, 2x
rs232, ps/2 , leds , switches
usb platform cable builtin - US$149

Now if only xilinx's website wasn't so flaky - time for them to sack their
database guy.
(Keep getting the message We apologize... A technical problem has
interrupted your session. We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused
you. Planned site outages or problems: We are experiencing intermittent
database problems. Please try again at a later time. )

The digilentinc xupv2pro boards are also good to play with if you
can get your hands on one at education pricing www.digilentinc.com

Alex

Site Timeline