UTOPIA interface signal traces

Hi
I am new to UTOPIA interface. I would like to know how critical it is
to have matched lengths for UTOPIA data and clock traces on PCB with
multiple processers (all processer having UTOPIA interface).

It would be nice if somebody could reply as soon as possible.

Regards
Nithin

Re: UTOPIA interface signal traces

Hi Nithin,

It depends. Look inside the datasheets of your utopia transmitter and
receiver to see the timing requirements. If I'm looking e.g. in my
IXP425 datasheet at AC characteristics I can find the recommended
setup/hold time requirements for the UTOPIA receiver. With these values
I can go to the transmitter timings and calculate the reserve between
transmitter timing and receiver timing and the rest is available for
everything that happens (bad edges, length differences between clock and
signals, ...)  between transmitter and receiver.

I hope this helps,

Michael

PS: Remove the ABC chars to get my correct e-mail.

re:UTOPIA interface signal traces
An inch or two is not going to make much of a difference if you ar
talking about uotopia level 1/2 (50 Mhz).  You will have more of
problem on the higher speed utopia busses.  You will however need t
watch clock distribution

Site Timeline