Repair LCD Traces

The LCD readout on my exersice machine is fading and is pressure sensitive. The LCD itself attaches to the pc board via pressure on a silicon strip embeded with extremely tiny conductive bits. I cleaned all surfaces gently but the display is still weak on some elements. The traces on the glass LCD are very faint. Does any one know if I applied CircuitWriter type conductive paint to the traces on the LCD glass, would I make this better or worse? Any other suggestions? Thank you.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.
Reply to

Probably worse. It all relies on everything being //very// flat, so conductive paint, I fear, would screw up connections either side. What did you clean the contacts with ? The ones on the glass are chemically deposited, so moderately fragile. I have never had a problem cleaning with electronics grade isopropyl alcohol. Does the situation improve if you increase the contact pressure between glass / contact pad strip / PCB pads ? Did you clean the PCB also ? Have you tried reversing top to bottom and / or side to side, the contact pad strip ? It can be used any way round, and sometimes if you get a slightly dodgy area on one face, it doesn't cause a problem any more when you turn it around, and it becomes say a PCB contact, rather than a glass one.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I used a light swab of rubbing alcohol. Yes, pressure brings up the missing elements somewhat. I cleaned the PCB pads with an eraser and swapped the contact pad strip. I'll try again. Thank you for the advise.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.
Reply to