Power over LVDS

Anyone have any good reference material or app notes for Power over LVDS lines. I ran across this the other day. Google does not give me much. One usage seems to be powering rear view cameras in cars. I found a power point presentation from National Semi that had a couple of slides with a simple analysis of pushing 2A@12V on the diff pair.

--
Chisolm
Republic of Texas

Isn't "12V LVDS" an oxymoron?

Link to the PowerPoint? ...Jim Thompson

AC couple the data, dummy. Like PoE.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

There was also a mention about it in a Intersil presser for their ISL76321.

I would expect something a little more exotic than a Ethernet style POE given the signaling rates.

--
Chisolm
Republic of Texas

Could be reasonable. Seems like it would be a variant of Power over Ethernet (PoE).

?-0)

Reply to
josephkk

Sounds like phantom feed for condenser microphones or Power over Ethernet. However, these use transformers to couple the signals.

To use transformers, the signal should not contain any data dependent DC offsets, so you would have to use Manchester coding etc.

Reply to
upsidedown

Sorta. The schemes I've seen use capacitors at each end to couple the LVDS lines and inductors to isolate the DC. At the frequencies usually encountered, the parts are small and cheap.

I haven't seen transformers used for power over LVDS. Often there's only one LVDS line, so the common center-tapped PoE thing doesn't work.

Reply to
krw

The transmitters and receivers that support AC coupling are using

8b/10b Line Code to DC balance.

I'll look through this and see if there is anything interesting

AC-Coupling Between Differential LVPECL, LVDS, HSTL,and CML

The Intersil part ISL76321 shows ac coupling in the data sheet with

27nf caps. This is for their 1G link but no power injection.

When I have some time I'll sit down and work it out....

--
Chisolm
Republic of Texas

isn't it +12 on the signal lines and ground return?

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

I'm not clear what the question is. The LVDS schemes I've seen are power on one and ground on the other, similar to the phantom microphone power scheme (above). I suppose you could put 12V on both and rely on another common ground for the return. Sounds like an EMI problem waiting to happen, though.

Reply to
krw

VDS

much.

he

xlr phantom power is gnd to gnd, ~48V via resistors to both signal wires

think you could use similar scheme for lvds, use inductors and caps to isolate power and signal so you can try to get proper differential termination

should few volts of common mode voltage to play with

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt