ST LM324N anyone have any schematics

LM324N http://www.ortodoxism.ro/datasheets/stmicroelectronics/2156.pdf

can i make a four channel audio amp with this chip? left tweeter / right tweeter / left woofer / right woofer.

This would be my first electronics project but i have a scope and want to learn. thanks!

Reply to
Tim

Yes.

It may not be loud enough for your taste. I mean, you even provided a datasheet; why don't you read it and do some math to determine the available output power?

It would be better if you had a book rather than the scope. Get a hobby electronics book or magazine with some example circuits and build a dozen of those. Then modify the circuits to fit your needs. Finally, start designing on your own. That's what got most of us started here.

Of course the 'Net is full of hobby stuff as well, but it often takes some experience to judge if something is hard or easy to build, or if it is downright bogus. Printed publications specifically geared at the hobbyist are better in that regards. Elektor used to have those "300+ circuits" books, maybe they're still available.

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

Sure, but it would be rather horrid. You're not going to get any power out of it and the crossover distortion of a LM324 is pretty bad. The frequency response won't be anything to write home about either.

You could put a complimentary pair of transistors on the output. This will get you some more power but the crossover distortion will still be bad (and frequency response worse).

It's a good project to learn with.

--
  Keith
Reply to

[... LM324 for audio ...]

No, the frequency responce will be bad and the crossover distortion worse.

Vcc ! Signal ------!+\ !/ ! >-------+-----! NPN ---!-/ ! !\e ! ! ! ------+---------------+------- Out ! ! ! === ! !/e ! +------! PNP ! ! !\ GND--/\/\-+-/\/\-- GND

Forcing the Lm324 to always pull up helps a bit.

Reply to
MooseFET

LM324 is terrible for audio. Use, say, an LF347. But 1/4 of a little opamp will never give you enough power to drive a speaker to useful levels. For that you need big parts.

John

The LT1230 will drive 30mA.

0.03^2*8 = 7.2mW

That is *way* louder than anyone needs for rap-music.

Reply to
MooseFET

Ok. ;-)

I've always forced the LM324 into the dust bin[*], but...

[*] I have used them for DC applications.
--
  Keith
Reply to

That's not going to get you anywhere... ;) Learn how to design electronics for toys.....or weapons systems.. You'll make more money :P D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Much better choices:

JeffM

I'm sure the missionaries have a different position on that. Last time I was talking to a missionary I mentioned that kid is taking a course primarily intended for "heritage language" students. He got this shocked expression on his face.. though I said it was intended for "heretics".

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Ah, but they're the very best op-amp on the market at that price level. (The worst too.)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

What do you have against the missionary position?

--
  Keith
Reply to