Good VHDL reference?

It seems I have misplaced my VHDL book a long time ago and I can't figure out where I left it. In short: I need a new VHDL book :-(

Can anyone recommend a good generic VHDL reference? I'm not looking for a book with a particular bias towards fpga design, asic design, or simulation.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Symon

I've waded through my share of VHDL books, and Ashenden's (Designer's Guide) is by far the best of the pack.

Eli

Reply to
Eli Bendersky

The one i am using and it is the first book have used to learn VHDL is "VHDL for Designers" from Stefan Sjoholm and Lennart Lindh.

Reply to
xenix

I'll second the Ashenden's (Designer's Guide) plug, but also add that I have both the Designer's Guide and "The Student's Guide to VHDL" by Peter Ashenden and I actually prefer the student's guide as it seems to have everything I need without having a lot of extra stuff I never use. And its cheeper too!.

Dan

Reply to
Dan K

Hi, I just bought "Student's VHDL Guide" by Ashenden.

What is the difference between the following two books by the same author:

The Designer's Guide to VHDL (Systems on Silicon) by Peter J. Ashenden (Paperback - May 2002) Buy new: $75.95 $56.19 40 Used & new from $49.18

The System Designer's Guide to VHDL-AMS (Systems on Silicon) by Peter J. Ashenden, Gregory D. Peterson, and Darrell A. Teegarden (Paperback

- Sep 4, 2002) Buy new: $81.95 $60.57 23 Used & new from $55.00

Weng

Reply to
Weng Tianxiang

The latter is for vhdl-ams (analog mixed signal?), and probably has more to do with the analog aspects of it.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

From complex projects of VHDL IP filter to general tips of how randomize, print an instance name are at:

"While it is simple in VERILOG (%m in the display system function), in VHDL a bit more code writing is required. $display("dbg instance name %m at %d", $time); An example how to print an instance name in systemc is also available on this site...."

pini_kr