Anyone have any DIP 74LS160s?

I built a little project that uses several of them, and since it seems none of the major vendors carry them anymore I turned to Ebay where I have had good luck in the past. Unfortunately this time I was burned, the chips I ordered (from China, natch) all appear to be defective in their own special way; for example, one loops between "2" and "3" forever, another has outputs that oscillate at 20 mHz on every negative going transition...

Does anyone have 4 of these that are known good they could part with? I'll certainly endeavor to use parts with better availability in the future.

Reply to
Bitrex

Can't you use an HC160 or an HCT160?

John

I can't use an HC160, because there's LS logic driving the '160. I suppose I could use an HCT160, but I checked both Digi-Key and Mouser and they're either non-stock or available only in surface mount packages. :(

Reply to
Bitrex

Nevermind, there seem to be some at Mouser - I guess a SOT38 is actually a DIP?

Reply to
Bitrex

If you have room and your speeds aren't too high you can use pullups on the LS parts' output.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Thanks for reminding me of that possibility, in a pinch if I could only get HC logic that wouldn't be too hard to implement as the speeds are not very high at all. Fortunately it seems Mouser does indeed have HCT 160s by NXP in a DIP package available.

Reply to
Bitrex

Unicorn Electronics lists them in their online catalog @ $1.29 each, with a price break at qty of 25, if you need that many. Free shipping on prepaid orders. The only issue that you might gripe about is their $25 minimum.

They are good folks; I've bought from them many times, with nary a problem.

--
Dave M
dgminala at mediacombb dot net

d,

uture.

I'm not sure what speeds or fanouts you are running at but for noncritical applications LS will drive HC without a pullup, and with a pullup you can actually be sure you are meeting specs.

If you can just pop out the LS and put HC or HCT parts in those spots that would be way preferable. Those little snippers are your friend.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

--