OT. MY wife, Sleuth, Detective, and Badass*

We had a long time occasional customer that wanted some fish we didn't have. My wife told him she could get some, but it would take her 12 to

15 minutes. He said he wanted it, she left to get it and the customer decided to walk the marina while waiting. I got another couple customers and one noticed a wallet setting on the bench, she ask a customer that just left and he said no it wasn't his, but it was the fellow that walked down the marina. She placed it back where she got it. I was busy with shop duties when I got two Mexican customers, they ordered two lbs of shrimp. My wife returned with the fish while I was waiting on them. They left and within short time I noticed the wallet was gone. I said something to my wife and she said, we need to follow them. I took off in my vehicle looking for a large blue pickup truck. I went the direction I thought they might go. I caught up with a blue truck about 4 miles down the road, but it wasn't them. My wife called me, by this time the fellow that lost the wallet was back and found out his wallet was gone. I told my wife where I was and she said, "I don't think they went that way, come on back to the shop, I'm going to look at the local Latino store and then drive over to a neighborhood where a lot of the Mexicans live." I got back to the shop and talked with the lost wallet customer for a while, he had called the cops and within a few minutes a female officer showed up, ask a few questions and then my wife called and said, "I got it" She went through the neighborhood and saw a blue truck, she reached way up on the hood and it was still hot, she thought she was at the right place! She knocked on the door, someone peeked through the curtains, then the door opened, a hand stuck out with a wallet in it, "I tried to call you, I left a message." (not) She grabbed the wallet, hopped back in her van and came back to the shop. The customer that lost the wallet said there wasn't any money in it to take, but he's a vet, it had his military stuff plus all the usual credit cards, license. I'm going to keep my eye on this customer, he told my wife he loved her three times!

Did I mention my wife is all off 4'7" tall and has no fear.

  • Probably a little crazy too.
amdx

Good story. Funny that people tell me I'm not right in the head for tapping my brakes when people tailgate me. Going up to the door of a home where you suspect someone had committed a crime is a dangerous thing to do. Cops are very wary in situations like this. It is not frequent, but sometimes the person who commits a minor crime is actually otherwise very dangerous.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Yes, that's why I added the and "probably a little crazy too". My wife chastises me if I approach a pissed off customer, she says, you don't know they might have a gun. I once told a customer we have grouper pieces for $10 as I pulled out a 5lb bag. He said I'll take that. I stuck it on the scale to make sure it was 5lb and told him it will be $50. He said, "I thought you said it was $10!" It is, 5 times $10 is $50. He left pissed and when he got close to his car, he called me an asshole. I went up to the car and let him know if he thinks he can buy grouper for $2 a pound he is the asshole. That's when my wife said, I don't know why you do that, he could have a gun. Speaking of that, we recently had a guy shot and killed in a subsidized housing unit. About 4 days later, in a drive by shooting a house has riddled with 34 bullets. No one was hurt. The cops think it was retribution. This was about 4 blocks from my home. Our sleepy little town has some bad boys! Mikek

amdx

If there is a next time, I would put the wallet in the cash register for safe keeping.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

What I don't understand about your gun culture is why you don't learn from your own Westerns movies. Wasn't the point of many of those 40's and 50's movies that the only way to reduce the risk to the peace loving citizens was to outlaw guns being carried in town? When guns are freely available then it just takes a moment of anger to do something you may well regret the rest of your life...

You talk about all the shootings and yet you don't want to reduce the risk?

And yes, I live in a country (Canada) where public carrying of guns is illegal and oddly enough our death rate from gun violence is a tiny fraction of you folks, our friends to the south. We just shake our heads when we hear these sad stories.

Most (80%) of Canadian deaths by guns are suicides and yet we aren't perfect by a long shot either:

John

Reply to
John Robertson

That's a basic difference between our society and others. We consider citizens as co-sovereigns able to control themselves, where other societies regard citizens as untrustworthy subjects that must be controlled.

Not terribly long ago in America, schoolboys carried their .22 rifles with them to elementary school, for squirrel and rabbit-hunting on the way home. Mass shootings didn't seem to be a problem (except for squirrels).

The problem is not the implement, but the people who have the desire to misuse it. In our society, those people are overwhelmingly Democrats, overwhelmingly hailing from communities ruined by Lyndon B. Johnson's Great Society public-dependency project.

(Not trying to be controversial here, just reciting the facts...)

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Are you suggesting that we need to shoot squirrels on the way to school?

Really? The gun killings are mainly done by Democrats?

--

Rick C
Reply to

That was true in rural Canada too when my dad was a kid. We just dodn't think you need to own assault rifles to get a ground hog.

It seems to me the people who are misusing the amendment are the gun sellers and their henchmen the NRA. Weapons sales are big business in the USA and heaven help anyone who questions it - they may be accused of being a Democrat!

(As am I, however the notion of facts can be slippery when your president-elect's people say there are none...)

Merry New Year!

John PS, if you ever visit Canada you need to leave your guns at home. Our border guards confiscate them...

Reply to
John Robertson

They were MOVIES. It was fantasy. Are you that deluded? Are you that susceptible to suggestion? Like the game-playing teenagers of today?

That would be nice. Your only proposal is to confiscate guns? You've got nothing better, like maybe getting rid of the people who want to kill?

When a group of people are killed by a truck driver whose intent is to kill people, will you outlaw and confiscate trucks? Perhaps you will remember that it has happened more than once, and recently.

I have 3 guns. I used them for hunting when I was younger. I am not a gun advocate and I see no sense in using assault weapons for hunting. In fact, I see no sense in having assault weapons at all.

Something is wrong with you.

Reply to
John S

Isn't that already part of the laws of every civilized country? What country allows the use of deadly force without punishment?

I know that even you are not so dumb as to not understand the difference. Why don't you explain it to us?

I agree and I don't think hunting is illegal in Canada or Australia or many other places where you are not allowed to carry weapons. Are you trying to be ridiculous?

What is going on with you that you don't think we can restrict gun ownership and still allow hunting and other recreational gun use?

--

Rick C
Reply to

When did they start that? I have taken a gin into Canada but it was a long time ago. As I remember you had to lot the National Parks people know if you were taking a gun into a national park . And they sealed the gun so it would be obvious if you fired it while you were in the park.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

That was my reaction exactly. You LEAVE the wallet on a bench??

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

You get your information from the same place Slowman gets his. Hollywood! Amazing.

More innocent people are saved by guns than killed by them. *LOTS* more.

Different country.

So you think people won't kill themselves if guns aren't available? Did you see that in the movies, too?

Reply to
krw

I know someone who carried their rifle to school every day. ...in New York City!

Define "Assault Rifle". No doubt you don't even know what it means. Lefties don't (and refuse to learn anything about what they spout).

Of course, you're wrong, but that's no surprise. Are you saying that people are misusing their right of free speech by using Facebook?

You wouldn't know the "facts" if they bit you in the ass.

Don't worry. You've got nothing I want.

Reply to
krw

You declared the weapon so they treated you like an adult.

That was then, this is now.

You need some sort of travel papers for bringing guns into Canada. What they are I don't know. Otherwise the guns are confiscated and destroyed. I am somewhat sure that if you declare you have guns and no papers that all they will do is just turn you around and send you home (I'd google that first though - look for CBSA and importing guns)- it is trying to sneak them across the border that gets them annoyed. Not to mention the fine and possible imprisonment.

John

Reply to
John Robertson

Really? Please provide some sort of proof. I'd really like to see your evidence.

Indeed.

Um, no, just that most gun violence in Canada is self inflicted...

I give references - why don't you?

John

Reply to
John Robertson

"You love my wife? Cool. Not sure you could handle her in the sack, though - she can be pretty aggressive. Anyway, if you're sure you're sure about it though I can tell you the best way to get her phone number..."

Reply to
bitrex

Because you're a cuckold, doesn't mean Mike is.

Reply to
krw

If my girlfriend wants to run off with another man, hey, feel free. I can find another girl. The world is sort of full of them.

If I made it my job to "keep an eye" on every overly-friendly guy who made a pass at her I'd have another full-time job. That is to say, it's not my problem.

Reply to
bitrex

Sounds like she's really important to you.

Lefties really are humor challenged. Completley.

Reply to
krw