wife wants to junk them

Hi...

My wife's been after me about a couple of old appliances that should either be fixed or tossed. One is a 4-yr-old waring blender that just quit one day, no burnt smell or anything. Just stopped. I've hung onto it on the thought that it might be a dead solder or something on the switch. Usually in the past when blenders have quit on me, you can smell some burnt part of the engine that gave out.

The second is an old canister vac that is just losing power. I took the thing apart down to the housing last weekend and cleaned it out, but it didn't help much. The actual vacuum part (blade and such under the motor) was in a housing that I couldn't remove so I couldn't tell if there was something inside I should clean.

Any suggestions on fixing them? Taking either to a repair shop would cost more than either are worth, I'm sure. I just don't know where to start.

Sorry if this is too mundane or newbie for the group.

Thanks

-mark

Reply to
Mark Modrall

Check the wiring. A lot of newer stuff uses push in wiring, and sometimes it didn't go in far enough, so it comes out. I just salvaged a new cordless drill that way, and it came with seven 19.2 VDC battery packs, five chargers, a large handheld buffer, and a flashlight that all use the same batteries.

Look at the commutator on the armature. It likely needs cleaned, and maybe a new set of brushes. As long as the windings aren't burnt, there isn't a lot to go wrong. I used to connect the vacuum cleaner motor to

12 VDC and polish the commutator on the armature with a large ink eraser. If the brushes show much wear, just replace them.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Mark Modrall spake thus:

I'd say worth opening up and looking around inside, checking brushes and such as suggested elsewhere.

Just to give you an idea of how vastly superior some of that old stuff is to the *crap* being made today, my upright vac is an old Kenmore (probably a rebranded Hoover) that I bought used ca. 1980 (for $10). Apart from replacing the footswitch when it finally gave out, I haven't done a thing to it; that thing works as well as the day I bought it, and probably pretty damn close as well as the day it was made (~1960). So yeah, it's worth fixing.

--
Napoleon won the battle of Waterloo. The German Wehrmacht won World War
II. The United States won in Vietnam, and the Soviets in Afghanistan.

- Uri Avnery, Israeli peace activist
(http://counterpunch.org/avnery09022006.html)
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Blender...tear into it with a continuity meter, and see what happens. As for the vacuum, if its the type where everything you suck up goes through the impeller, years of rock/metal bits/screws hits against the impeller may have chipped it down to nothing.

Reply to
Deke

most likely a bad cord,brushes or switch, fixing it may coast more than its worth but who knows, you must have a meter and knowledge to use it to know this.

more than likely the bearings/brushes or both are worn out in the motor.. toss it.

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

I concur with what is already said about it. Don't overlook the obvious problem with a vacuum passage being plugged up on the canister.

You may also want to check commutator/windings with an ohm meter to make sure they are all the same. An open winding or bad connection to the commutator will also cause those symptoms (along with some sparking from the brushes).

default

Jamie wrote in news:beUPg.27$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe07.lga:

Those are excellent experimenting devices. If you really screw it up or you can't get it to work again, nothing lost & experience gained. You might even wind up with a few spare parts. ;-)

*snip*

Puckdropper

Puckdropper

You should find between 20 and 60 gnomes in there for a 240v vac, 1/4 that if 110v.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote in news:1158773303.616090.44900 @d34g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

Gnomes? Lawn ornaments in a vaccum?

Puckdropper

Puckdropper

snipped-for-privacy@care2.com spake thus:

Dunno about "gnomes", but assuming the OP is in the U.S., it ain't gonna be a 240-volt unit. We don't use that Yurpeen power over heah'.

--
Napoleon won the battle of Waterloo. The German Wehrmacht won World War
II. The United States won in Vietnam, and the Soviets in Afghanistan.
The Zealots won against the Romans, and Ehud Olmert won the Second
Lebanon War.

- Uri Avnery, Israeli peace activist
(http://counterpunch.org/avnery09022006.html)
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

You're right! No wimpy 50 Hz power is good enough for the US.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I just picked up some free stereo components made in Japan. In each manual it points out that models exported all over the world have 110/220 power supplies and need to be switched appropriately.

The one exception is units exported to the USA which have 110 volt supplies only.

Makes you think!

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Homer J Simpson spake thus:

Yes: TWIAVBP.

--
Napoleon won the battle of Waterloo. The German Wehrmacht won World War
II. The United States won in Vietnam, and the Soviets in Afghanistan.
The Zealots won against the Romans, and Ehud Olmert won the Second
Lebanon War.

- Uri Avnery, Israeli peace activist
(http://counterpunch.org/avnery09022006.html)
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

But Americans won't RTFM.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Homer J Simpson spake thus:

But what to do when it's written in Chinglish? or Jinglish? or Germish? or, worse yet, in geek-speak?

-- Napoleon won the battle of Waterloo. The German Wehrmacht won World War II. The United States won in Vietnam, and the Soviets in Afghanistan. The Zealots won against the Romans, and Ehud Olmert won the Second Lebanon War.

- Uri Avnery, Israeli peace activist

David Nebenzahl

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:4511b890$0$19909 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.adtechcomputers.com:

At least you've got a chance with geek-speak. Those terms EXIST, even if you don't know them.

Puckdropper

Puckdropper

It could be a comic book written for a 5 yr old and they still wouldn't read it.

Homer J Simpson

Sure we do, I have some 240V tools here in the US, not hand tools though.

Reply to
James Sweet

James Sweet spake thus:

You know what I meant: ordinary, plug-in-the-wall stuff. Not talking about your honking 3-phase, 5-horsepower planer or whatever.

--
Napoleon won the battle of Waterloo. The German Wehrmacht won World War
II. The United States won in Vietnam, and the Soviets in Afghanistan.
The Zealots won against the Romans, and Ehud Olmert won the Second
Lebanon War.

- Uri Avnery, Israeli peace activist
(http://counterpunch.org/avnery09022006.html)
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

How about an ordinary plug into the wall 240V air compressor and a small drill press? These are reasonably common and plug into a normal 15A 240V receptacle. Many table saws can also be configured for 240 too. Oh and I have a small arc welder that plugs into 240 as well.

Reply to
James Sweet