Disagree with wife over bulb temp, Help

Hi all, We have a single bulb central in the kitchen that I hate in the morning when I first get up to make my coffee. My wife usually is up first and has the light on. I have taken to putting on sunglasses to ease my pain. It is a 6500K, that's the problem. The bulb burned out and I have resolved to find a happy medium with the replacement. The bulb was a 23 watt 6500K Model L23TM4/65K Found a good sight for info;

I already have already installed a bulb from the closet. It is a GE FLE26HT3/2/SW Finally, found the color temp it is a 2700K.

I know she will not like it.

Here we go!

She just got home, she walked in and put stuff on the counter and walked back out. She didn't say anything, maybe she won't notice.

Ahh, second trip in she said "oh, you replaced the light, I'll change it tomorrow"

Ok, I knew it wouldn't fly so I'm back to finding a color temp we can both live with. I suspect she has a bit of a cataract problem, so more light is probably better, but 26 watts is about the highest wattage bulb I've seen.

Right now we are between 2700K and 6500K.

The base is up in the fixture inside of a globe, I'd go LED if it was not directional.

So any suggestions for a bulb that would make us both happy.

I plan on keeping the wife, but I guess I could move my coffee pot.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

The 6500K bulb we had is rated 1600 Lumens. Mikek

amdx

Sheeeesh! We have 500W of Halogen's in our kitchen. I like my light at drafting quality ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

That's not helpful. We do have a second 20 in fluorescent above the sink and a bulb in the hood over the oven. I checked the 20 in tube it is 4100K, I'll see if she can live with that temp. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

It isn't clear that you've established that it's the colour temperature she's concerned about or the brightness.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

There are many choices. Check out the HomeDespot or Lowes and such. There are at least a dozen color temperatures, light output ratings, and light quality ratings for these things. You'll probably go through half of them before one of you gives up. ;-) We only have a double 34W fixture in the kitchen (dumb - "high end" kitchen with a cheap-assed contractor-grade fluorescent fixture) and SWMBO was bitching about it being too dark to work. I replaced the tubes with a couple of 6500K tubes I'd bought for the workshop. Now she complains that it's too bright (and I bought a four-tube fixture to replace it). I'll probably try her on 4000K tubes in the new fixture.

Reply to
krw

tomorrow"

seen.

I would think cataract would pride more glaring at high temp. I can't handle high temps. Regardless of brightness, I can't see or think clearly. The sun is ok, as the bandwidths are different.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

She thinks she likes the 6500K color.

Reply to
amdx

She was pissed that I replaced it with something she didn't like. It turned into an argument and I just quit for the day. Later I'll try something around 4100K and see if she changes that. I a 6200K on my workbench that I like, but I don't use it first thing out of bed.

Reply to
amdx

I've found that color temperature is bothersome at first, but you get used to whatever it is.

I've had success using different temps in multi-bulb fixtures.

Never thought about it before, but why can't they put multiple phosphors in a CFL and get broad spectrum output?

But the bottom line is that there's only one correct answer. "Yes, dear."

Reply to
mike

OK, but you can get that colour in a lower power, so that it's not so bright when you get up to make your coffee.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

My experience was that the daylight (i.e. high colour temperature) lighting seemed harsh at first, but now I can't stand the lower temperatures that were, after all, only really created to simulate incandescent lighting whose colour temperature would have been made higher in the first place had it been technically feasible.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I do get used to it, in fact I like it. I like it anytime after 9am. But I hate it at 6am when I first get out of bed. I can make my coffee in the little bit of light from the window with the curtain closed. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I found a 42 watt 4100K bulb. Not made to run base up AFAICT.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

You might try a "Grow Light", which mimics sunlight at about 5000K. I find it pleasing. They now come in screw base types:

row-bulb/623/

p/B003QPA1BE

Paul

Reply to
P E Schoen

Yikes, that's almost like looking at an arc-welding torch! WAYYY bluer than the sun at earth's surface.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I have three 1.5W LED lamps. One in the bathroom. One in the living room. One in the kitchen. All run 24-7. Rarely have to turn on anything else. And I haven't tripped over anything in the dark since I set it up.

Reply to
mike

Are these outlet night lights ?

where did you find them ?

hamilton

IMHO, anything that blue-white makes butter look green, but I guess SWMBO MBO. It depends a bit on the color scheme in the room- if the walls are warm it can be less disgusting. When we bought our current house, it had a couple rooms done in a light yellow that combined with cool white fluorescent lamps to make a particularly ghastly glow.

OTOH, I think it is difficult to have a surfeit of lumens in a kitchen or other work area.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

That's more than an hour and a half before sunrise here, so there won't be much (natural) light coming through the window at 6am, just a glow from the moon or orange light from zillions of sodium vapor lamps (soon to be replaced by the whiter glow from zillions of LED streetlamps in some kind of urban planning boondoggle).