OT: Human-caused warming likely led to recent streak of record-breaking temperatures: study

What I'd really like to know is this: how can all these studies be based off flawed data? What is happening to our scientific and research institutions!!!

Reply to
hondgm

Indeed!

As a _very_old_fart_ (3/4 Century+), virtually all of my adult life in one general area of Arizona, I note the following:

(1) It was _very_slightly_ hotter (peaks) in 1962 than now... maybe

(2) What's interesting, but pleasant, is that, while peak summer temperatures haven't changed, the DURATION of very hot has DECLINED...

Intense heat now drops off at the beginning of August... used to be it lasted until almost the end of August. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I know you just can't comprehend how this could be happening despite your t iny corner of the world not appearing to be affected. It's called sample s ize.

Reply to
hondgm

We've been getting into the low 60's at night here. It's usually in the 70's.

And we haven't had more than a day or 2 of 90+ degree weather. It's been mild just like last year, and the year before that, And....

Martin Riddle

Must be all those melting glaciers >:-}

Or is it Al Gore _sucking_ all the power ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Or all your hot air.

Reply to
honddgm

But when it's cool, that's just weather. When it's hot, *that's* climate.

It was really hot in the late 1930's. You missed that.

 Click to see the full signature

Could it be that we how have hundreds, likely thousands, of times as many 24/7 weather stations as we had occasionally-read ones 100 years ago?

About all you can trust is satellite measurements. Funny, satellite data => hiatus.

 Click to see the full signature

All they had back then for air-conditioning was wet blankets... literally ;-)

There are still existent some old Navajo structures that used an inverse chimney effect to cool their hogans.

Back when I first came to Arizona you could freely wander thru most of those ruins... amazing how well it worked.

Now they're pretty much closed to the public :-( ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Jim is not only old, but also remarkably ignorant.

Anthropogenic global warming is the progressive rise of the average surface temperature of the whole planet. Arizona represents a rather small fractio n of the planetary surface, so what happens there is of strictly local inte rest.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Athony Watts doesn't seem to realise that there are ways of measuring tempe rature than don't involve Stevenson boxes. Neither does John Larkin.

They might have done, for a while, until the rest of the field got together and persuade Spencer and Christy to properly correct their satellite data for orbital decay.

This update doesn't seem to have made it onto the denialist web-sites from which John Larkin gets all his climate change information.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

This is climate for the dolts that haven't learned yet:

"Climate in a narrow sense is usually defined as the "average weather," or more rigorously, as the statistical description in terms of the mean and va riability of relevant quantities over a period ranging from months to thous ands or millions of years. The classical period is 30 years, as defined by the World Meteorological Organization (WMO)."

So a few years. Sounds like weather to me.

Reply to
hondgm

The pig ignorant admonishing the pig ignorant.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

On Thursday, August 10, 2017 at 12:43:57 PM UTC-7, Jim Thompson wrote: ..

Maybe, but NOAA reckons the average temperatures have increased a bit in Ar izona:

kevin

Reply to
kevin93

Not due to any summer peaks, but due to winter not being as cold.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Ummm.... NOAA has the temperatures in Phoenix AZ from Jan 1 to July

31, 2017 as the 5th highest since 1934: It was normal from Jan 1 to about Mar 5, but went up quite a bit after that. 2014 and 2015 were also record high years.

Looks like the data for Phoenix comes from the airport (USW00023183): I've sometimes wondered about the wisdom of putting a weather station in the middle of an airport, which is potentially a major heat source. It's next to runway 25L, but at least it's not on top of a building as it was prior to 1948: The station moved in 2000-12-01 so I would be careful about using data that overlaps that date.

Hmmm... looks like the ASOS Hygro/thermometer was replaced on

2017-04-10, which might produce a slight jog in the readings. However, I don't see anything on the graph, so I guess it's ok.

"The most famous problem occurred in Tucson, AZ in the mid

new high temperature records for the city, even though surrounding areas had no such measured extremes. Unfortunately those new high temperature records including the all time high of 117 degrees F, became part of the official climate record and still stand today." The above is from 2008. It hit 117F again in 1990, which suggests that nobody bothered to fix the instrument or the data:

Garbage in, climate out.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Of course they dont factor in the bazillion sqft of concrete, asphalt, and roof tiles that now occupy what was once desert. Back when I bought my house up on Beardsley road (now 101) there was nothing out there. Bell road was way out of town and very little on Union Hills. Arrow Head Ranch was citrius groves. The old Glendale airport was a 2400ft strip right on Grand Ave and Dunlap. When I was working for Honeywell on T-bird road we used to drive out of town to Deer Valley Airport to eat at the Satisified Frog (or what ever that place was called, it's long since moved). All those houses and shopping centers north of Deer Valley airport did not exist - it was nothing but desert ground that gave up the heat at night.

--
Chisolm
Republic of Texas

Maybe, but NOAA reckons the average temperatures have increased a bit in Arizona:

kevin

I always thought average temperatures to be an absolutely useless calculation in regard to evaluating different climates

Which would you prefer to live in?

Another factor is the media reported 1970's clash between phx and tuc over summertime temps and how it effected where the tourists went. The summertime high temps were reported to be 3 to 5 degrees cooler in Tuc. So phx had the weather station at sky harbor move its thermometer to a slightly cooler location. And the local politicians congratulated themselves on a major accomplishment. So be careful of any changes over time in the measurement system used.

Art (another old fart who lived in phx and tuc for 60 years)

Reply to
Artemus

Indeed! I can remember an enormous amount of snow on (what was then) a meadow at 7th St and Northern.

I contracted at Sperry/Honeywell, Deer Valley, and at the Space (?) Division (Union Hills ?), late '80's, early '90's. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

BS. They're taking their readings over that concrete mass/mess called Sky Harbor.