Senility caused caused questions.

I am ashamed I have to ask this. On a 120v AC cap start 1 hp motor, would the run windings have the highest resistance? Again I am assuming that the cap would be in series with the start winding and disconnect when the centrifugal switch opened at min rpm. Right ? This is not a biggie just a cap that blew a few years ago when the centrifugal failed to open because of sawdust....I was in no hurry then as I had other dust collectors, but now that I'm getting my butt in gear, I forgot what was then, hence these questions. . . . .thanks in advance to 1 & all.. . .chas

Reply to
Chas

s I

The start winding always draws more current so therefore by ohm's law it's resistance would be lower than the run winding. I'm assuming this is some sort of wood working machine such as a table saw. If it's exposed to a lot of dust you should try to keep the area of the centrifugal switch clean. I haven't heard of it happening but I wonder if the switch arcing could ignite the dust? Lenny

Reply to
klem kedidelhopper

I really don't have much airborne dust. But it is a major explosion problem in wood shops. I have bare copper wire in all my ductwork and it is all grounded.