Rad-hard solder?

The photo of the IC at the bottom of the 2nd page:

The chip certainly has some decoupling caps on board, but the solder is also golden. Is it a special solder (namely what?) or do they apply galvanic post-processing? The caps are golden at the very top too...

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Probably Au 80% Sn 20% eutectic.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

I believe you are right, I didn't know about this mixture. Thanks!

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

That's a lead frame, and is meant to be "soldered" (really - brazed) at a much higher temperature than soldering. Also, could be the light was tinted golden for effect, or just what they had in the clean room.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Hmm, I don't seem to have any of that currently in stock for some reason.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The "solder" you're seeing is a eutectic chosen to have the same thermal expansion characteristics as the chip it's supporting. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature