Recent works...

It's rare that I ever get to even acknowledge circuits that I've designed.

Finally one of my clients, Akustica, has gone public in the 04.27.06 edition of "electronic design"

See pp 36-38, "Breaking A New Sound Barrier: It's a MIC-On-A-Chip"

I did the analog amplifier circuit design, including charge-pump for the MEMS, and bandgap revisions.

Paul Spitalny, of Cascade Linear, Inc., Kirkland, Washington, did the sigma-delta output version.

...Jim Thompson

For most folks who don't wear a suit to work, doing a good job is like peeing your pants when you're wearing dark trousers: It gives you a warm feeling--but nobody else is aware. 8-)

Congrats.

Reply to
JeffM

Richard Crowley

Thanks, Richard! I didn't even think to check their website.

...Jim Thompson

Thanks! So true. I think I first saw that "dark trousers" joke in the late '70's... right about the time I reached the age of BPH :-(

...Jim Thompson

I cross-posted your message over on rec.audio.pro and rec.audio.tech. Not that they will necessarily find a product like that of interest for high-quality recording (because of the high distorion %), but because it may well mark the end of the electret condenser microphone capusule commodity item as we know it today. Some people will think that is a good thing, and others won't. :-)

Reply to
Richard Crowley

That distortion spec is at +110 dB SPL. Why they spec'd it there, I have no idea. But when you're doing circuit designs for physicists you never know what you're going to see ;-)

...Jim Thompson

At $3.97 each, it has a ways to go.

John

The article was poorly written. It has substantial amplification built-in.

Besides, hearing aids follow into the "boutique" business ;-)

...Jim Thompson

At these sound levels, the case and the mounting may as well resonate and play a role for the distortion number. Add a few Y5R caps and you're there too.

Rene

Reply to
Rene Tschaggelar

Hello Jim,

Tell me about it. Designing for medical folks can leads to similar surprises but it is fun.

Does the sensor part work similar to a single-chip pressure sensor?

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

I think so. I haven't done pressure sensors, but this is simply a voltage-biased capacitor (thus the "pump").

...Jim Thompson

Hello Jim,

Life is a little easier with applications where DC is not so important. We had a lot of work cut out with that pressure sensor since it had to have static state precision. Mostly process control, not so much design.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Yeah, but we physicists usually don't insist on making you feel like whale droppings on the bottom of the ocean just because you aren't an M.D....

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Physics gadgets are usually more fun than the wet stuff.

Physicists can be brutal to each other, but they're usually (not always, believe me!) kind to engineers.

John

I did my Bachelor's Thesis on blood flow measurement as a joint MIT/Harvard Med School venture.

I wrote an operating manual for the doctors and had my wife proof read it.

Her comment, "Seems awfully juvenile to me".

My response, "It has to be that way so the doctors can understand it" ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Do your ears hurt when you go through doorways?

Reply to
I.F.

[snip]

Eh? You lost me there.

...Jim Thompson

LOL, your head is so swelled your ears hit the jambs when you walk
through a doorway...
Reply to
John Fields