Breaking of Ethernet frames

Hi All,

I am very new to the Ethernet area.

I am trying to design and Implement an Ethernet switch or Multiplexer.

so say if I am bridging between two 1-gbps channels with one 2-gbps channel. when I think of designing a TDM switch between the 2 channels of 1 gbps my basic design will contain a MAC and a FIFO right...?

I was thinking that if the incoming data frame is long so that it will cross the TDM slot for that channel of 1 gbps. then I will have to break that frame store the remaining data in fifo and send it in the next slot.

Here I am not getting is that how it will get reconstructed at the receiving end . So firstly is it allowed to break like this if yes then how to insert a packet number etc in the frame.

Please Help...

Thanks & Regards. Kedar

Reply to
kedarpapte

Do you have two networks that you need to connect?

A switch is a device that recieves a packet and find the correct channel to forward it to.

Or do want to combine two 1 gbps networks in one 2 gbps transmission line and then seperate the two lines in the other end of the transmission line.

A multiplexer is a device that combines e.g. several telephone lines into a high speed link.

Regards Rune

Reply to
Rune Christensen

yes I want to make an ethernet Multiplexer... correct but 2 3 people gave me a responce saying Mux is same as switch. so I concluded may be switch has more intelligent functionality than mux.

but presently I want to implement a Mux combine 2 channels in one

so do you mean to say that at a receiving end of the mux transmitter a demux is neccesory means the final 2 gbps line cannot be routed to a general wan,lan etc it has to be a point to point connection between mux and demux.

then what is the technique to break and combine frames as well giving the channel number ....?

Thanks & Regards,

Kedar

Reply to
kedarpapte

If I understand you correctly then you have two 1 gbps ethernet networks that you want to route into one 2 gbps ???? network. What type of connection is the 2 gbps? What will happen with the data when it reach the other end of the 2 gbps connection?

The multiplexer will combine but keep the data as separate channels as needed for telephone lines. In the other end there will be a demux to split the lines up two the separate telephones.

The switch will combine and mix the channels together into one e.g. an ethernet switch with eight 100Mbps channels and one 1 gbps channel. The traffic from the different channels will be routed to the correct channel based on reciever address. Some ethernet switches use a method called "store and forward" where it stores the ethernet packet reads the reciever address and by a table lookup it decides which channel the ethernet packet should be forwarded to.

If the 2 gbps channel is a connection to the internet then your need to follow a specific set of protocols because that is necessary in order to communicate with the equipment placed at the ISP. Your ISP should then provide you with equipment or with the protocols needed.

You will need some kind of equipment in both ends of the communication line in order to send and recieve data packets. If you want to create a backbone with a 2 gbps network then you will need some kind of equipment to route the signals between the 2 gbps communication lines and that equipment will use some kind of protocol in order to know where to forward the data to. You will need to follow that protocol when you route from the two 1 gbps ethernet channels to the 2 gbps network.

If you just want to mux the two 1 gbps channels into one 2 gbps channel and in the other end of the 2 gbps channel demux into the same two 1 gbps channels then the easiest solution would be to create a protocol that adds some information in front of the ethernet packet. That could be length of the ethernet packet and which channel it came from. Then you will be able to recreate the two original data streams. To be sure that you don't mix up the channels remember to add a checksum to be sure that the length and channel values are correct.

your protocol ethernet packet length channel checksum reciever sender data checksum

Regards Rune

Reply to
Rune Christensen

Kedar -

There is nothing simple about what you want to do. The first thing you need to do it learn about Ethernet - the frame structure, the CRC, how MACs work, etc. You can't just split Ethernet frames to fit into TDM slots, especially if you're operating at a point in the link where the data is 8B10B encoded. You would need to do much more than just split frames. Even if you figure out how to split frames, connecting two bidirectional 1Gbps links to one

2Gbps link is not as simple as a mux. It is relatively simple to combine the 1Gbps links into a 2Gbps link in the 1Gbps to 2Gbps direction. But in the other direction, when you're trying to steer data from the 2Gbps link onto one of the 1Gbps links you've got a 2:1 data rate mismatch. At a minimum you need enough buffering to absorb a max-lengthed 2Gbps frame until you have time to dribble it out onto the 1Gbps link. And then what happens if 2Gbps frames keep coming, all destined for the same 1Gbps link? You can only have so much buffering, so eventually your buffer will overflow and you need to discard frames. Loss of data is not handled at the Ethernet level, so you need to deal with that at a higher protocol level (e.g., TCP).

From what you've said so far it sounds like you're approaching a very complicated problem with a very simple and inadequate solution. Nobody here knows enough about your system to know what you can get away with, so you'll have to figure the basics out for yourself. Then post specific questions when you run into specific problems.

Rob

Reply to
RobJ