OT: Dummies with money

An article in the Boston Globe today about a woman who is a "long-time" resident of the Back Bay who, instead of paying the $500 a month that a reserved parking spot at the Prudential Center a few blocks away from her home would cost, instead just parks wherever there's room right next to her place and pays ~10-15k a year in parking fines for the convenience.

Is that really the best solution someone can come up with?

Reply to
bitrex

Some people buy a beater, run up kilobucks of fines, and sell it.

When I was a student at MIT, I parked wherever I pleased, and papered the wall over my desk with the parking tickets.

On graduation day we took my father's car. It was tow truck bonanza on Memorial Drive _unless_ you had no previous tickets... my father obviously didn't ;-)

Downtown parking in Boston is a total nightmare. I handled that by driving to Sullivan Square (MTA, now MBTA) Station and taking the subway downtown.

It used to be relatively safe. Now I wouldn't chance it :-( Boston is now almost as bad as Oakland.

Cambridge never did pursue the parking tickets after I graduated... WV plate in AZ would be hard to track in those pre-computer days.

Middlesex County did issue a warrant for my arrest for refusing to pay the Poll Tax... which I promptly sent back to MIT's Voo Doo humor magazine who did a hilarious write-up. ...Jim Thompson

Could be better...park right AT the fire hydrant that is directly in front of her door. Always room there..

Reply to
Robert Baer

NOT a good idea in Boston... once saw cars parked around a corner marked with red for fire truck clearance... along comes full-length ladder truck and they didn't miss a beat... completely totaled at least six cars ;-)

Also once saw a cop beat up a driver who ignored the cop's signal to stop and dared to drive over a hose. ...Jim Thompson

Sounds like the era back when Whitey Bulger and his buddy Bill Weld were running things.

Reply to
bitrex

Foster Furcolo was governor... I'm talking ~55 years ago when Massachusetts was clearly a church-police state... and the expose' Biography of a Bookie Joint...

was banned from the local TV because it exposed how crooked the cops were. We were renting the third floor of an old house in Cambridge, so I crawled up on the roof and aimed a Yagi at Providence and watched it anyway ;-)

...Jim Thompson

On Tue, 6 Oct 2015 15:15:38 -0400, bitrex Gave us:

Forget the car, the gas, the insurance, and the parking costs and simply use mass transit, which of course most major metropolises have now.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 12:40:38 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

Oh boy... another criminal retard on par with Donald Trump.

Tripeson's 'early years'. What character compromises have you committed since then, punk?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Tue, 6 Oct 2015 17:07:04 -0400, bitrex Gave us:

Jim only wishes he could be like them.... all dishonorable and such.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Somewhere on the Freedom Trail in downtown Boston, there was a bar named "Betty's Rolls Royce", or something like that. "Betty" would park her yellow Rolls out in front of the place, in a no parking zone, of course, and collect hundreds of tickets. A couple of times a year, they'd haul her down in front of the judge and she'd pay up. Out of the deal, she no only got parking but a full-page write-up for her bar and herself, in the Globe. Pretty cheap publicity, actually.

Worked for her.

Reply to
krw

}snip{

It doesn't seem to have improved much, from church-police to fascist police state...

Same thing, now they get really pissed off when you film them 'in action' (i.e. beating some innocent 'civilian' to pulp).

joe

}snip{

Reply to
joe hey

Yup, the lady in the Boston Globe article seemed so proud of her "solution" that I guess she agreed to let them print her full name!

Reply to
bitrex

It sounds like boston is full real shitty municipal workers. It must be slim pickings to get good people there.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

This was 1958-1962. I understand it has improved.

On the side of the cops... Massachusetts folk of that time period were the snottiest people on the face of the earth... as a West Virginia country boy used to politeness and civility it provoked me to respond in kind... but more physical >:-} ...Jim Thompson

It's changed very little, just FYI. ; )

Reply to
bitrex

I was pulled over last evening by one of the Massachusetts state police on the highway. The officer was just finishing up with someone else by the side of the road as I drove by - from that stop he immediately pulled out and zipped up right behind me and put his lights on.

I was doing nothing wrong. He glanced around the passenger compartment and said "You know, I'm just telling you that when you see an officer who has pulled another vehicle over by the side of the road, you need to move over into the next lane away from the shoulder", which is no law I've ever heard of. State police here always approach from the right hand side of the vehicle anyway.

He let me go "with a warning". After he was done he pulled out and...zipped right after the next unfortunate motorist driving by in the right hand lane. He was just pulling people over bing bing bing on a fishing expedition.

Given the way people drive here, you'd think they could go and actually find someone doing something obviously illegal?

Reply to
bitrex

New York has such law. (Since about two years ago, I believe.)

R.W.

Reply to
Roberto Waltman

It certainly is here. You *must* pull over or slow down (find someone doing something obviously illegal?

You likely were.

Reply to
krw

Likewise Arizona... it you can't move over (like in a freeway situation) you must slow down. ...Jim Thompson