NSW, Australia, criminalises the possession of 3D printable gun designs.

Not just 3D guns, but the data used to make them.

Penalty, 14 years in prison.

Explanatory memorandum for the Bill (which has now been passed).

"Schedule 1 [7] inserts proposed sections 51F and 51G into the Firearms Act. Proposed section 51F contains a new offence to prohibit the possession of a digital blueprint for the manufacture of a firearm on a

3D printer or on an electronic milling machine. The offence is to carry a maximum penalty of 14 years? imprisonment. Proposed section 51G contains a number of defences to the new offence, including defences relating to innocent production, dissemination or possession, conduct for the public benefit and approved research."

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Ach! That was meant to go to comp.misc. Sorry.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Easy way to bypass it is to create a server-client pair that interface between the os running the machine and the data stored somewhere else. Slave the printer/mill to the server and get it to issue the commands to the client printer/mill.

Reply to
unk

Somehow I just don't like the direction in which Australia is moving.

conduct for the public benefit -------------- ^ This!

joe

Reply to
Joe Hey

Just to be safe, they should outlaw owning or storing pictures of guns. Ditto movies that show guns. Or web access to patents that involve guns.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Pardon my French, but WTF is happening to Australia? Permits and registration and end use reqirements for mW class "prohibited weapon" laser pointers and criminal charges for posession of CAM files?

But no permits for all the venomous snikes?

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

This reminds me of when the US passed the DMCA that outlawed a small piece of code required to use DVD drives under Linux. It was distilled to just a handful of lines of code and printed on t-shirts.

--

Rick
Reply to

I really, really, want to get some 3D printable gun designs and start emailing them to NSW legislators. Endlessly. So they'll be in violation as soon as their law goes into effect.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Yeah, that's a rational act.

--

Rick
Reply to

No - they stick these defenses in to make it look superficially reasonable. Then they define "public benefit" very narrowly:

"Conduct is of public benefit if, and only if, the conduct is necessary for or of assistance in: (a) enforcing or administering a law of the State, or of another State, Territory or the Commonwealth, or (b) monitoring compliance with, or investigating a contravention of, a law of the State, or of another State, a Territory or the Commonwealth, or (c) the administration of justice."

Sylvia

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Hey - Australian legislators don't need any help when it comes to devising absurd laws - they have plenty of experience already.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

It's a question I've asked myself. It beggars belief that such a laid-back society has managed to turn into this.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I presume its quite ok to own a file, a hacksaw, a drill, and a welder, plus assorted bits of steel. In which case it takes about a week to make a gun from scratch. A pencil and paper will do for design tools. No fancy 3D printer or computer needed.

Reply to
Adrian Jansen

That'll certainly make us safer from pictures of guns or movies about guns. It won't help against real guns, however.

Reply to
krw

Civil disobedience is a time honored tactic against such nonsense.

Reply to
krw

Tony Abbott was a right-wing nitwit's right-wing nitwit, and having him as party leader and prime minister empowered the Liberal Party's lunatic fring e.

Malcolm Turnbull had to buy off the far-right faction in order to be able t o boot Abbott out, and it will take a while before they all shoot themselve s in their feet or get caught with brown-paper bags full of cash. Bronwyn B ishop managed to organise her own debacle, but not every right-thinking pol itician is quite that half-witted.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Yeah well they can't do that. And most of them form what I read, are happy with being neutered. And their owners are so much happier with how much better they obey now.

Reply to
jurb6006

"Schedule 1 [7] inserts proposed sections 51F and 51G into the Firearms

Perhaps, but this sort of thing has been going on for a while now.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Still... I presume that there was/is a (general) ban on guns. Did they trip over their feet with attempts to define "3D gun(s)"? Did they trip over their feet in attempt(s) to define "digital blueprint(s)"? What about "innocent"? Etc?

Now if there is no (general) ban on guns, they blew it; one could make and/or own a gun that was made by conventional method(s) but NOT by "printing" or auto-milling. You see the stupidity.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Guns aren't banned, but you need a license - and a reason - to own one.

Not obviously, but it's clearly a poorly thought-out catch-all provision.

Probably not, but thinking that everything that gets onto your hard disk was put there by intention is a trifle unrealistic.

It's an excuse, but a rather closely drawn one.

There isn't a general ban, but you do need a license if you want to own one.

Not without a license.

Sadly, the stupidity is pretty much all yours. A simple google search with the search string "Gun ownership in NSW" throws this up

You were clearly too stupid to bother looking.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to