Trinitron gun

There has been some discussion in another newsgroup about what this looks like. The Wikipedia entry says "The single-gun consists of a long-necked tube with a single electrode at its base, flaring out into a horizontally-aligned rectangular shape with three vertically-aligned rectangular cathodes inside".

Can anyone supply a link to a picture of a trinitron gun anywhere on the internet?

TIA

--

Jeff
Reply to

Above that it says: "The Trinitron design incorporates two unique features: the single-gun three-cathode picture tube, and the vertically aligned aperture grille."

Which makes sense and I think it is correct.

However I think the part you quoted should be rewritten.

The best I can find online is:

But from my bookshelf, the trinitron gun structure (diagram not image, viewed from above) and a description of how the tube works is in the

1972/1973 edition of Radio and Television Servicing. Do you want a scan sent/uploaded anywhere?

Old Guy

Reply to
John Smith

is the best I came up with though it doesn't have a diagram of the Trinitron but of a standard CRT gun. There are some errors in the article.

I am intrigued how the Trinitron is different.

Reply to
Fredxx

I think it had the RGB guns effectively in one tube. I had one in a panasonic colour TV in the early 70s

Reply to
TTman

Or was it a Sony? I forget now

Reply to
TTman

Sony. Trinitron is their trademark for inline gun CRTs.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Why Are you going to shoot red, green and blue electrons at someone?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Quoted from Sam Goldwasser's web site at

So What Does It Mean to Have a Trinitron CRT? Trinitron is a CRT technology developed by Sony. The patent has recently expired and therefore other manufacturers are free to offer similar CRTs. The CRT uses a set of fine vertical wires called an aperture grill instead of a steel shadow mask to separate the R, G, and B electron beams and force them to strike only the appropriate colored phosphors. This in conjunction with an in-line set of electron guns is supposed to provide a brighter image with simpler convergence and purity adjustments. It should be brighter because the percentage of open space of the aperture grill is higher then that of a shadow mask. Other adjustments should be less critical in the vertical direction. In addition, since there is no imposed structure in the vertical direction, undesirable moire patterns caused by scan line pitch compared with the shadow mask dot pitch should be eliminated. You can recognize a Trinitron tube by the fact that the picture is made up of fine vertical stripes of red, green, and blue rather than dots or slots. The shadow mask in all other kinds of common CRTs are made up of either dots (nearly all good non-Trinitron computer monitors) or slots (many television sets). The Trinitron equivalent is called an aperture grill and is made of around a thousand vertical wires under tension a fraction of an inch behind the glass faceplate with its phosphor stripes. Since the aperture grill wires run the full height of the tube, there are 1 or 2 stabilizing wires to minimize vibration and distortion of the aperture grill. These may be seen by looking closely 1/3 and/or 2/3 of the way down the tube. The larger size tubes will have 2 while those under 17 inch (I think) will only have a single wire. Many have complained about these or asked if they are defects - no they are apparently needed. You can be sure that Sony would have eliminated them if it were possible. Another noticeable characteristic of Trinitrons is the nearly cylindrical faceplate. The radius in the vertical direction is very large compared to the horizontal. This is both a requirement and a feature. Since the aperture grill wires are under tension, they cannot follow the curve of the glass as a normal shadow mask may. Therefore, the glass must be flat or nearly flat in the vertical direction. As a selling point, this is also an attractive shape. In the final analysis, the ultimate image quality on a monitor depends as much on other factors as on the CRT. There are many fine monitors that do not use Trinitrons as well as many not-so-great monitors which do use Trinitron tubes.

--
David
dgminala at mediacombb dot net

[snip]

[snip]

I'm sure that all the LCD and plasma tv manufacturers are overjoyed.

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to

How on earth could the guns possibly be not in the same tube?

--
_____________________
Mr.CRC

Three tube projection TV.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Google probably can.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

offer similar CRTs.

:)))

But trinitrons were impressive. I remember walking into the living room late at night with lights off and eyes well adjusted to total darkness and I heard that TV "hiss" from the switcher. TV looked as if it was off and was completely dark, but it wasn't, wrong video source was selected. Try that with any other tube or LCD (backlight off is cheating).

TheM

Yes, I was a bit puzzled by it, but do not have the knowledge to amend it.

Not at the moment, thanks, John. The link you supplied was ok. Many sites discuss the nature of the aperture grille and show diagrams of how this is constructed, but it is strange how few show the other unique feature of the trinitron tube!

--

Jeff
Reply to

But every other Japanese TV manufacturer had PIL guns as well. For some patent reason, the die hard British manufacturers soldiered on with delta gun for a good many years in spite of all its problems and setting up.

Reply to
Fredxx

Actually I think that the part which does make sense should say that the aperture grille is horizontally aligned. The aperture grille is not vertically aligned. The tube would be a mile high if it was. The cathodes are also horizontally aligned. It could be that whoever wrote it knew what they were talking about but didn't write very clear English.

Old Guy

Reply to
John Smith

Yeah I spent many years messing with scratchy wirewound convergence pots, purity rings, static convergence, blue lateral shift. You had to spend hours setting it up right. The picture was good if done right but not as bright as a trinitron. Every other set had an A56-120X and when philips did finally put what looked like just the same three guns in a horizontal row (20AX) the picture was not as sharp as a delta tube. I was impressed with the first trinitron on my bench. KV1320UB. Small screen but excellent picture apart from the need for a tint control on a PAL set.

Old Guy

Reply to
John Smith

Not at first. In fact, some of the first studio monitors built with Sony Trinitron CRTs were built from high end Sony TV sets because the volume wasn't high enough to interest Sony in a license. There were many grades of inline color CRTs and the early ones weren't that good, by comparison. The first studio monitor with a Sony Trinitron CRT was in mid '74. It was several years later before I saw a MGA TV with their version, which had a blue cast to the glass.

A skilled tech could set up most delta gun color CRTs in 15 minutes. The big problem was bad parts on the convergence board that techs had no clue how to fix. I saw a couple that were set up in under five minutes that looked damned good. Low grade guns used by some rebuilders, or a bent gun assembly made it impossible to get a good convergence. I also saw some CRTs with a crooked neck where it wasn't properly aligned before the neck glass was welded to the bell. All of these were either rebuilts, or built from used glass at low budget operations.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

at night with lights off and eyes well adjusted to

it was off and was completely dark, but it wasn't,

Try that with a high end studio monitor with a delta gun CRT and it will be just as dark. Of course there aren't many left, and the last new one I saw was $7,000 in 1988.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That's not the tube, it's down to accurate black level maintenance. Any CRT will do that with the right circuitry.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse