3D printing of PCBs?

I heard an ad for this company on the radio a few days ago. Has anyone here used this process?

Michael Terrell

Their website is unpleasant to me. It is of course a viable solution for so me things.

I have heard of people taking plotters fitted with a little milling end ins tead of ink and took regular copper plated board and mill out where they di dn't want to conduct. That has advantages actually because you got more cop per conducting where you want.

What is even the advantage of the PC board in the first place ? Point to po int I got 3D. My two grand amps will be built on boards that emulate a brea dboard. Of course I will compact it and cut off what is not needed to keep stray capacitance down. The real power part doesn't need a board.

Bottom line it this is cool and all that but I do not see it doing anything for us.

Reply to
jurb6006

some things.

nstead of ink and took regular copper plated board and mill out where they didn't want to conduct. That has advantages actually because you got more c opper conducting where you want.

point I got 3D. My two grand amps will be built on boards that emulate a br eadboard. Of course I will compact it and cut off what is not needed to kee p stray capacitance down. The real power part doesn't need a board.

ng for us.

The devil is in the details. It all depends on the capabilities and cost. Obviously it has potential for prototype quantities with fast turn around. In the "Non-Planar 3D Design Rules" it lists 8/6 mils minimum space/trace widths. That's not going to cut it for most designs these days.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Hey I know, genius. Why don't you print the rats nest that some of the tube amps I saw decades ago looked like?

You don't know what a PC board is for? Wow.

And modern electronic devices like CPUs REQUIRE many multiple layers.

If one is going to "3D print" heavy conductors to connect to high current devices, one might as well use Silver.

How do you 'print' a Litz configuration "conductor"?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

YES SPECIFICALLY.

Your "house sized" laptop would also be dog slow and riddled with logic arrors.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

And that separates it from Windows PCs just how ?

Reply to
jurb6006

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:7fcccec0-3e1a-4611-be01- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

The discussion was about hardware dipshit.

Your iane OS jab is actually pretty stupid.

Windows is not slow. Insecure a bit perhaps, but NOT slow.

If you are having problems you would like to blame Windows for, I suggest you upgrade your dog slow hardware, because the OS is not to blame.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

what is a hardware dipshit? Does your pc have one?

It sure is.

It's wildly inefficient.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I have not used it, but saw things similar at the Orlando FabTECH show. Worth a visit, but I think the next one is in Chicago?

Anyway, I'm old. (-ish). And lazy. So I get a tech to do the Gerbers and send them off to JLBPCB. A week later, perfect boards are here - at ridiculously low cost.

Reply to
mpm

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:0034d770-6599-40ac-a695-94f7834bc253 @googlegroups.com:

Oh boy, a grammar lame lamer.

Your PC has one. Run to the bathroom and look in the mirror to see it.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

The GUI generation front end user interface elements in Windows are not any slower than those in Linux, except for those Linux machines set up bare bones mode on their desktop.

Benchmarks of the same apps run just as fast under each.

The big slowdown today is the backtrack code that had to be created by Intel to fix their vulnerability.

You were saying, ye of so little CS knowledge?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

right

No, the slowness is primarily caused by inefficient code & failure to match code size to machine ability. This is why so many new computers are painfully slow.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Slow PCs around here get scrapped. Windows is the biggest virus ever written. Junk. Like VHS, inferior but popular.

Reply to
jurb6006

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

You are an abject idiot.

My laptop does 3D CAD and finite element analysis pretty swiftly.

Faster than any POS you ever owned. You do not have the experience and observational tools (a working brain or decent PC) to understand, much less profess on how (quickly) computers work. Obviously.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

The average slow pc runs fast with a lighter OS. Just gotta match the 2.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Those who are qualified to assess this & have the relevant data have done so & do not agree with you.

kind of irrelevant

At the risk of stating the utterly obvious, you don't know what computers I've owned or used, nor at what speeds they ran.

The only thing obvious is why you get called 'always wrong'.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Twenty year old software on ten year old hardware. I never meant to keep it this long but it runs so well, and I have compared it to many newer ones a nd they just can't do it.

There is one OS I think is extra slow - Vista. It takes minutes to CLOSE Fi refox. Even the GUI is slow, go into a text area and it is like a whole sec ond sometimes before the cursor changes. And booting ? Go buy a new car and take a trip for a few days. And it has been like that since day one when I bought it new. It has about the same numbers as my XP box just a different OS.

Reply to
jurb6006

He doesn't seem to know that many people do not have nor want a six grand laptop.

Reply to
jurb6006

Their 4-layer coupon sample board takes 7 hours to print. One serious multilayer might take days.

I'd be concerned about defects, solder adhesion, and crosstalk.

PCBWAY does nice multilayer boards and stencils cheap, in 5 days.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

"A lighter OS"? What a Linux desktop with zero modern features?

I take a fully GUI Linux desktop. Still peppy as it gets.

Your shit hardware is truly outdated. You... running what? A 486 barely capable of even running 64 bit Linux if it can at all?

And no, that will not make your machine any faster at actually running an app. It will make YOU a slight bit faster at navigating around your storage, desktop, etc. But running apps on ANY slow machine configured in ANY way is still SLOW. Wake up and smell the instruction pipelines, boy.

But nope. Light desktops are actually a burden at this point. the speed of a modern multicore machine cares less about the GUI time slices, so fully 'gadgeted' desktops doesn't slow down a good PC box at all. You must have shit Hdw.