What is with DSE lately?

I have noticed that many of their stores have stopped ordering in
various components from crystals to resistors and capacitors.

Re: What is with DSE lately?

Some stores that previously stocked components are no longer doing so.

But since their component stock control has collapsed and died, the
problem at your particular store may just be that they think they still
have stock.

Sylvia.

Re: What is with DSE lately?

I think they are *deliberately* getting out of the component business now.
Your comment was true for many years though.

MrT.

Re: What is with DSE lately?

Isn't DSE no longer owned by Dick Smith?

Re: What is with DSE lately?

:Mr.T wrote:
:>> Wayne. wrote:
:>>> I have noticed that many of their stores have stopped ordering in
:>>> various components from crystals to resistors and capacitors.
:>> Some stores that previously stocked components are no longer doing so.
:>>
:>> But since their component stock control has collapsed and died, the
:>> problem at your particular store may just be that they think they still
:>> have stock.
:>
:> I think they are *deliberately* getting out of the component business now.
:> Your comment was true for many years though.
:>
:> MrT.
:>
:>
:
:Isn't DSE no longer owned by Dick Smith?

Not since he sold it to Woolworths in 1982...

Re: What is with DSE lately?

:
::Mr.T wrote:
::>> Wayne. wrote:
::>>> I have noticed that many of their stores have stopped ordering in
::>>> various components from crystals to resistors and capacitors.
::>> Some stores that previously stocked components are no longer doing so.
::>>
::>> But since their component stock control has collapsed and died, the
::>> problem at your particular store may just be that they think they still
::>> have stock.
::>
::> I think they are *deliberately* getting out of the component business now.
::> Your comment was true for many years though.
::>
::> MrT.
::>
::>
::
::Isn't DSE no longer owned by Dick Smith?
:
:
:Not since he sold it to Woolworths in 1982...

It seems that he sold 60% to Woolies in 1980 and the remaining 40% in 1982.

Re: What is with DSE lately?

I think this newsgroup will be blaming all their problems on Dick Smith
well beyond the term of his natural life.

Re: What is with DSE lately?

Not at all, most people know DSE hasn't been serious in the hobby/component
business for at least the last 10 years (that's being generous!)
No new news here at all, it's well overdue. I'm surprised they persisted for
so long actually.

Dave.
Re: What is with DSE lately?

I thought he still had a controlling interest.

Re: What is with DSE lately?

Nope, none at all, very common knowledge that he sold the lot in 1982.
Woolies bought the right to continue to use the name and DickHead face etc.

Dave.
Re: What is with DSE lately?

No. At most he probably gets some money each year for the use of his name.
And likeness.

geoff

Re: What is with DSE lately?

Except that now they don't use his face anymore, and with the change
from "Dick Smith Electronics" to "DSE", they technically might not
even be using his name. ?

Re: What is with DSE lately?

The recent change seems to have been  from "Disk Smith Electronics" to
just "Dick Smith" so they are still using his name (unless you are
going to say he was "Mr Electronics").
Andy Wood
snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Re: What is with DSE lately?

Although Dick 'sold out' to Woolworths many years ago, so that he could go into
the aircraft
and Australian biscuit business, he still made time to visit all the stores with
his
face on them. For the staff, Dick was a constant presence. His smiling
bespectacled visage
was a constant reminder of the principles of quality, service, and product
knowledge [not
to mention obscene mark-up] on which the chain was originally founded.  When
Dick arrived,
staff would be relentlessly quizzed on whether you could use 10% tolerance
resistors with
Zener diodes, or how long it the LED discharge cycle was with a 10K or 5K ohm
resistor
in series. My, how they laughed at his antics.

But the new breed of beancounters at Woolworths, Australia's most aggressive and
cost-conscious
retailer, were not so amused. When all efforts to prevent Dick from randomly
turning up at
stores around the country failed, the clever marketing people at Woolworths
noticed that
he only appeared at the ones with his face out front. A new plot was hatched:
re-branding. No
longer 'Dick Smith', now it's 'DSE'. It was good enough for Kentucky Fried
Chicken [sorry, I
mean KFC]. And the smiling bespectacled face was out of step with modern
merchandising theory.
Geeks don't spend enough money; let's move those boxes, boys. And it has worked.
Dick is no
longer seen prowling the shelves checking for 100 microfarad capacitors, and his
ghost is
no longer seen munching on his tuckerbag. He's gone a-waltzing matilda.

Atom Egoyan
Melbourne Australia
[i.e. not the Canadian filmmaker]

Re: What is with DSE lately?

Dick hasn't owned it for a couple of decades!

MrT.

Re: What is with DSE lately?

In article <4a62ba6c$0$9754$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
01.iinet.net.au>, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com said...

Oh dear.

Re: What is with DSE lately?

I just shop there.

Re: What is with DSE lately?

In article <4a63c1bf$0$9713$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
01.iinet.net.au>, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com said...

Most of here do (or more likely /did/).
For me, I think DSE went past the point of no return sometime around20%
1990.

Re: What is with DSE lately?

The only advantage DSE have had over Jaycar/Altronics for the last decade or
two is that they have more stores.

Dave.
Re: What is with DSE lately?

Lets face it, there is lot more profit in iPods, TVs, laptops etc than
resistors, capacitors, and chips.

Site Timeline