I Have Too Many Parts!

I have about 300 little bags of components and I waste time flipping through to find resistors, semi's and capacitors. It's organized into resistor section, semi section, capacitor section and everything else section. I'm not motivated to sort all the resistors in increasing resistance.

Is there a mini computer controlled organizer yet?

I want something like this:

Enter 1K 1206 ....'rrrrrrrrrr.. ' (machine seeks folder)... Then I put out a zip lock bag..

Reply to
D from BC

Write one. It'll keep you from burning down the house for the next month or two. ;-)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

You'll have to sort eventually. I even use a database to keep track of the number of components I have. I get completely lost otherwise.

I bought these for SMT and normal parts:

                     "If it doesn\'t fit, use a bigger hammer!"
Nico Coesel

Why don't you go to your local hardware store and buy a couple of parts organizers, there a metal or plastic box standing upright with a hole bunch of little drawers in them. I have 4 of them so far in use. Canadian Tire sells them (assuming your from British Columbia).

Shaun

Reply to
Shaun

Close. You can get automated parts storage cabinets like this:

We used to have a huge system at my old company, where you enetered the part number and it whirred around and presented you with the part bin.

Of course you gotta sort it to begin with, you can't just funnel the parts in at the top... Either that or hire some oompa loompa's

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

Keep 'em on the reels and organize the reels by P/N. A reel of resistors is what, $10?

Reply to
krw

I suspect your main problem might be that all your little bags are different sizes? That can be truly aggrevating!!

If so, staple them to a 4x6 index card, and then sort the cards. That should be much easier.

Me?, I use parts drawers, but they can take up space. I think I have more than 2 dozen now.. For me, cards woudn't likely work, but for 300 parts -- that and an index sheet should work just fine. You could color the cards, but I doubt that would help enough to make it worthwhile.

As for a computer, you could cobble up something in VB and run on your computer. Interfacing it to a device -- to automatically serve up the envelope

-- well, that requires more thought. I'm trying to think if there is anything out there now that could be converted to such use, but I'm drawing a blank.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

Parts cabinets. LED in each drawer. Microcontroller.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

I once calculated if it was worth it for me to sort out the pile of $0.02 1/4 Watt MF resistors on my bench, or just take new ones out of the parts bin and sweep the dross into the waste basket. I think I cost a few cents a second.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Maybe.. Here's what I'm imagining.. It looks similar to this but bigger and there's no letter tabs. This is a random access system like ram.

It plugs into the USB port of a PC and the software has a list of items and locations. Then somehow the gizmo indicates where the part is.

Capacitors, resistors ..everything can be mixed up. It doesn't matter. Example:

1k 1206 slot 17 2.2k 1206 slot 42 0.1uf 1206 slot 4 empty slot 5 2N2222 transistors slot 6

Kinda like a vending machine..

Reply to
D from BC

I'm super lazy.. If possible, I'd like to try to keep the parts in there original bags..

Reply to
D from BC

$40.00 for 7 drawer at Superstore.. Almost bought it.

Reply to
D from BC

Impossible! 8-)

Tim

Tim Williams

Yup..

I'd like to just plop the bag (whatever size) into a slot, type in a part number. (The machine will already know which slot is open.)

I got as far as jukebox mechanics,vending machine mechanics and some sort of motorized rolodex. I might check out mail sorting equipment.

Reply to
D from BC

Neato :)

Here's a variation of that idea.. Nico posted a link for little bins. An LED can be installed on each bin. I want this plugged to my laptop by USB. If I made the hardware and wrote the software and put it for sale on Ebay, how much would you pay for it?

Reply to
D from BC

I've considered abandoning all my left over parts.. I'll order the BOM, use the BOM and then just toss the leftovers in the 'to be forgotten box'. I'll order the same resistors over and over and over again cause it's faster to order them than to find them in the pile. :P

Reply to
D from BC

Not an option, nowadays, but I use matchbox structures originally glued together in the 70s. Orders of magnitude across, 12 values tall (for E12 E24) for passive components. Different rack for different types. This simply duplicated the function of larger commercial bins that were meant to serve for larger parts.

The same thing works pretty well for smaller parts - normally you wouldn't remove them from their auto-insertion tapes (cut length to fit) until they're needed. Layer with antistatic bag material for the inevitable loose parts.

You sound like you need a boss with a big stick, just to tell you to keep organized. They normally come free with an assignment, in the workplace. Working independently, you get value out of something only after you have put it in, yourself, pay someone else to do it for you, or get a partner with a big stick.

For initial sorting, think egg cartons (hey, there's twelve bins), bought bags of suitable material and uniform size to fit whatever storage drawers you are using.

Things don't get 'unsorted' by themselves. The suggestion re application of broom and dustpan is completely valid, though you should eyeball the sweepings to confirm the dollar value, before dumping.

RL

Reply to
legg

"D from BC" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Maybe check pharmacutical store equipment.

Antoon

Reply to
Antoon

-

Better check that you can get those parts that are discontinued or not made any more.

It just takes one unobtainable part to stop your project in its tracks.

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

Yup.. There are ceramic chip caps costing more than $1.00 each.

Reply to
D from BC