recommendations for new dish washer

Hi All,

We are in the process of purchasing a new dish washer.  Can anyone recommend
a reliable brand or a brand to stay clear of?

Thank you in advance.

Re: recommendations for new dish washer

After 15 years with a Malleys/Simpson beast, we replaced it a few months back
with the all-electronic control Electrolux.  Initial observations:

1.  Its about 30dB quieter, except that it creates a water hammer problem with
its solenoid at the tap.  The solenoid on the old one was ait the machine entry
- presumably the hose acted as the surge killer.

2.  It doesn't stack anywhere near as much (i.e. as efficiently) as the oldie,
despite our endeavours to wring the best out of it.

3.  The top electronic model has one extra function that the next-one-down
doesn't.  But to share a common front panel, they omitted the rinse-only cycle.

4.  The oldie had a counterbalance weight low down at the rear.  Pulling out
laden top and bottom racks never caused a hiccup.  The newies (I understand
across the board on "aussie" ones) don't have a weight, so sometimes even a
fully laden bottom rack can cause it to tilt.  (Ours is loose under a benchtop,
not screwed or glued in place).

5.  The new one has an interior light.  A nice touch, possibly a bit more
decorative than truly functional.

6.  We had the serviceman out to replace a faulty top rack runner (warranty of
course).  He's been with them a few years.  He and his missus bought a new
machine a year back.  A F&P 2-drawer!

That's my 2.2c worth.  You may value it differently.

Re: recommendations for new dish washer

Can't recommend, but we've had one of the dual drawer Fisher and Paykel
machines for a couple of years - excellent concept (depending on your load
size) but ours has had a brain failure about every 6 months.

Re: recommendations for new dish washer

David,

We had a Simspon unit with the electronic soft-touch panel; purchased in
1999.  By the time we turfed it in June 2004, it had died in the soft-touch
panel twice.  About $280 to repair each time, and I think the whole unit was
only about $799 new.  We now have a Dishlex, which wasnt my choice, but was
on the floor when we desparately needed to replace the dead one.  It has
turned out to be a very good dishwasher, albiet only just on 12 months old
at this stage.  The trays are designed to be adjusted to suit your needs
(flip-up racks), and the water to the top tray comes from the back of the
washer, rather than above.  This frees up the middle of the top tray wheras
the other style has a water pipe coming down.

As others have mentioned, many desings will fall over if not bolted in, and
loaded top-heavy; especially the built-in versions that dont have any
covering around them (The Simpson was like this). The Simpson did this a
number of times (Fell over), and you had to be quite carefull when loading
it. The Dishlex is much better at this, as it seems to have more weight low
in the back.

And final appeal for the Dishlex was it has a grand total of 2 controls; an
on-off button, and a rotary dial to select the wash program. Both buttons
push in to set flush against the panel, which makes it hard for a toddler to
play with the controls.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Rod.......Out  Back

Re: recommendations for new dish washer

nothing but great results from our kleenmaid dishwasher -- but our kleenmiad
oven has very weak door hinges - the warranty service guy reckons he's seen
at least 1000 ovens with the same door hinge fault...

one good design, one kludge. I'd say that's par for the course.

Re: recommendations for new dish washer

Hello David,

No idea about the Australian market but we found that many brands here
in the US didn't take the size of some of our plates or required a
really inefficient stacking. Finally we found a good deal on a Whirlpool
"Quiet Wash Plus" that could. Low noise mattered as well as we have an
open kitchen. It's working just fine since six years or so.

The best ones in quiet operation were European brands but that would
have cost us at least twice as much over here.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: recommendations for new dish washer

We had an Asko but it needed to be fixed three times in 6 years and
wasn't very good at drying the dishes. When we moved into a new house
we bought a Miele, not cheap but very quite, no problems at all so far
and if there ever is they keep parts for at least ten years they say,
even more. Great on water saving too, and the dishes come out clean!

Leon Gross

Re: recommendations for new dish washer

Before ASKO it was called ASEA, and the Cylinda 1500 model we still
have is very reliable after 15 years. I think we had a defunct
membrane control panel replaced on one occasion.

A mate of mine bought one with the ASKO brand and he had so many
service calls he junked it and bought a cheap LG. It seems that
something suffered in the quality area after the ASEA takeover and
name change.

Re: recommendations for new dish washer

We got a Dishlex because it had the lowest water consumption of any
model at the time (in addition to it's "Eco" mode), and was fairly
quiet. They were on top of the list of our requirements. What are your
requirements? - cost?, warranty?, looks?, water comsumption?, noise?,
internal rack space?, or is reliability your only concern?
Reliability is next to impossible to determine, you takes'ya chances.
You'll find that someone somewhere will have something bad to say about
every brand on the market. Get a good warranty.

No problems with the Dishlex so far, works well.

Dave :)

Re: recommendations for new dish washer

David

A couple of years ago we bought an AEG, basically on the advice of
Choice magazine. Their take was: if you can afford it, there is no
reason to buy anything else.

So far, so good. It works well & we have no complaints. The one thing
it doesn't appear to like is avocado - if there is a scrap of avo in
the wash, you can bet it will stick to a plate or cutlery.

My brother & siste- in-law have a Bosch which they overload
mercilessly - it seems to do well, but it also has some crappily
designed switches which need replacing periodically.

HTH

Dave Goldfinch

Re: recommendations for new dish washer

recommend

Don't get a SMEG anything. Crap quality and worse after-sales support.

Ken

Re: recommendations for new dish washer

We have a dual door stainless LG in the coast unit and at home use a Miele
  ( costs rather a lot)
  both are excelent and quite machines.
( one 3 times the cost of the other)

Re: recommendations for new dish washer

We had a Dishlex for 15 years. Only one solenoid replacement @ $25. Washed
and dried well and pretty quiet. Used it FULL every day. Got rid of it 'cos
wife wanted new colour. Replaced it with a European Franke brand. Only got
it 'cos we knew someone to get a healthy discount thru. It's no better than
Dishlex in performance. Had it for 1 year no problems.

When we got the new one, the trend for euro ones I noticed is for cold
water connection only, while the old Dishlex had hot water connection. This
is more economical probably because we have gas hot water. Anyone looked
into why?

Re: recommendations for new dish washer

SNIP

It is possibly because of the fact that most dishwashers don't
actually hold a lot of water for performing the wash cycle, and due to
the quantity of dormant cold water stored in the hot water supply
piping, the water coming in would still be cold by the time the washer
was ready to go. If the washer heats its own water then the water can
be guaranteed to be at the required temperature.

Re: recommendations for new dish washer

Further to this, I would think it removes the possibility the hot water is
the wrong temp due to the HWS being set incorrectly.

I remember years ago we buggered 2 dishwashers over the space of 7
years(Whirlpool & a dishlex); most likely due to the wood-fired HWS
regulating around 80-odd degrees most days... I dont think the average
dishawasher is designed for this sort of temp on the inlet side of the
plumbing, and one of the dishlex pumps was not well after the HWS got really
serious one day. I note the later Bosch & Simpson dishwahsers never had
these problems, as we had moved to letting them heat their own water.  Of
course, they had other problems, but neither in the water side of things.

As Ross said, at least if the dishwasher is heating the water, it should be
happy with the temp of it...

Cheers,

Rod.......Out  Back

Site Timeline