satellite dish

Could a satellite dish used for FTA and pay-TV also be used for satellite-internet or would an extra dish be required?

Reply to
rooft

satellite-internet

Yes.

Nope.

Not clear if you mean simultaneously or not tho.

Reply to
Rod Speed

te-internet

Also depends on which pay-tv service you watch.

Reply to
Brad

Different sat...Not a problem it it is motor driven though and you have the software to drive it.

Reply to
SG1

If you are getting satellite internet professionally installed, you will definitely be getting another dish. No installer will attempt to use an existing TV dish. The dish will be supplied free along with all the other gear, if you qualify for the government subsidy.

If your attempting a DIY job, and if your a nooby at satellite stuff, you will not get it to work.

The first problem is that satellite ISP's will not supply you with equipment. You can buy it off ebay, but you need an installer or ISP to program the modem with your login details. It is not like programming an ADSL modem.

You will need at least a 90cm dish. If your TV dish is 65cm it will be too small for sat internet. You will also need to replace the TV LNB with a satellite two way unit, and mount it so it is focused correctly. It is possible to use a splitter on the RX side to get the TV signal, but it will need a number of things to fall into line for it to work, like the TV sat box will need to be able to tune to the RX frequency of the satellite internet LNB.

Reply to
Alpha_77DX

In simple words no way.

The pay TV dishes are too small as a 1Metre dish is needed for satellite internet and the receive dishes are not suitable for transmitting.

The satellite dish is a much higher quality and the feed is different as it has to allow for the transmit unit ( A BUC - Block Upconverter) to transmit and it most likely would have to be pointed at a different satellite.

A 600mm pay TV dish costs about $120 including LNB. The satellite internet ones cost about $600 without LNB

If you have seen the dishes used by the fire stations in NSW they give you an idea of what is required. A 1.5 metre fibreglass offset dish is used with a 1 watt transmitter consisting of the BUC on the dish and with a PLL LNB that is also much more accurate in frequency than the domestic LNBs used for pay TV is needed. The PLL LNB is worth about $800 by itself.

This is why the systems are expensive.

Reply to
DTVAUST

I use Foxtel. We don't have to move the dish in order to watch free to air.

Also depends on which pay-tv service you watch.

Reply to
rooft

Can a standard one-way LNB be used if you use a phone-line for uploading?

and mount it so it is focused correctly. It is

Reply to
rooft

I know a bloke who actually has one left over from sat isp connections , thats a cheap source as there are specifics in equipment or it wont work , is this a home done thing or a pro install ?

Reply to
atec 7 7

Would prefer to use the existing dish and just the existing socket in the wall. One of the FTA channels is an advertisment for Optus satellite internet which I presume is referring to the same satellite. I think it's Aurora.

Reply to
rooft

WHat you prefer is likely not to work .. it needs a certain size and nothing below will work

Reply to
atec 7 7

Like I said before

IT WONT WORK!

Different Satellite to Aurora Different dish Different LNB Different Receiver Indoor unit required Upconverter / Transmitter needed

Simply No Way!

Reply to
DTVAUST

he

Don't you just love these so called "experts" who say "Simply No Way", yet those amateurs like me have ALREADY DONE IT. It makes me wonder if they really believe the shit they speak, or if they are just trying to make people spend more money than is necessary. I suspect that they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about and are simply totally ignorant to what actually is possible.

Reply to
TG'sFM

Where is your post telling how to do it?

Reply to
Alpha_77DX

Wont happen

Reply to
atec 7 7

..

ng

Of course it won't happen. This sort of rort happens in every industry. I've had supposed experts (this same moron by the way) saying that to receive a HD digital signal, a set top box or HDtv is not enough - and that you MUST change your antenna to a "digital" antenna. As I said earlier, I'm not sure if they actually believe the shit they spread, or if they are just trying to rip people off, but in the case of THIS particular moron, he's just ignorant and uneducated.

Reply to
TG'sFM

Of course it won't happen. This sort of rort happens in every industry. I've had supposed experts (this same moron by the way) saying that to receive a HD digital signal, a set top box or HDtv is not enough - and that you MUST change your antenna to a "digital" antenna. As I said earlier, I'm not sure if they actually believe the shit they spread, or if they are just trying to rip people off, but in the case of THIS particular moron, he's just ignorant and uneducated.

Proof of having done it, is required. Or is that not simple enough for you????????

Reply to
SG1

the digital aerial thing is a hoot , fine if you need a new one 'cause it's buggered but usually the older one still work fine , I renently replaced mine because the old one fell apart after some wind.Best $74.90 spent for a while

Reply to
atec 7 7

the

g to

Who is sprouting shit TG?

You are in France and don't have the faintest clue about conditions in Australia. Why do you post your crap in an Australian group?

You are a total moron who dosn't have a clue about satellites and keep trying to convince all that you are an expert.

Unlike you I work in the professional satellite and broadcasting industry installing and commissioning systems. I DO know the engineering involved and there is no way any VSAT company would consider using a Pay Tv FTA dish to transmit as the performance is simply inadequate in terms of sidelobes.

In saying you have "done It" it proves you are not even aware of the requirements for a satellite internet system. Of course if you have a compliant VSAT system you could use the dish and LNB to receive Pay TV off the SAME satellite on the SAME polarisation but if you shift the dish you would lose the precise pointing necessary for compliant cross polarisation required by VSAT system operators.

Just go away and stop putting crap on our newsgroups.

Reply to
DTVAUST

in the

ing to

I've never even been to France. What drugs are you on?

Mate, the ONLY moron trying to convince anyone they are an expert is YOU. I've clearly said that I'm just an amateur, yet I've managed to do what YOU say is impossible.

Ahh, so the backpedalling begins. First you said it was "impossible", but now you say that no reputable professional would do it.

Keep backpedalling my friend. Just face the facts. It CAN be done, but YOU don't want to do it because YOU can make more money by selling more unnecessary equipment to unsuspecting clients. People like you should be shot and then sent back to whatever country you came from.

Reply to
TG'sFM