Plimer and Silicon Chip

Plimer and his pseudo-scientific nonsense were dealt with on the ABC Science
Show  not long ago.

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/scienceshow/stories/2009/2593166.htm

I gave up reading SC (usually at the stand in the News Agent) after seeing
projects in it which were clearly written by technically incompetent people.
eg. the water tank level gauge.

SC now appears to be trying to consolidate a fading readership that includes
far-right ratbags. Would not be surprised to see it go the same way as EA.

Pete
--

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

"Peter K"

** The ABC Radio's  "Science Show"  is an utterly discredited sham run by a
obviously anti-science &  half-witted pommy journo -  ie  Robin Williams.

It once used to be entertaining, now it is just irritating, pseudo science &
populist crap.

Like the item you just linked.

**  Now YOU would not be one of those too  -  would you ?

** Most of SC readers are over the age of 50, often much older.

   So they did not grow up believing in whatever some computer told them.

   Unlike total fools like you.

......  Phil

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

If your sick of this guy's ravings then follow the link and raise an
objection with his ISP

  http://members.iinet.net.au/~rutlidge/alanindex.html

Pete

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

"Peter K"

** The regulars here can  DEAL with this smug,  anonymous pile of

     top posting shit  -   any how you like.

....   Phil

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

Well, gee, how about YOU contribute a project then?
Or is that too much to ask?

Dave.

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

More than happy to contribute.

How much do I get per page?  Have you contributed and if so what were you
paid?

Remember the old saying. Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

By the way I read your contribution on the solar heater.  Sorry but I found
this was just a repeat of may other articles prior to yours.

Pete

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

$100 per page is the going rate, tax free.
Not a huge amount, but say $800 for an average 8 page article ain't so bad.
Pays for your prototype at least, gives you a free warm fuzzy feeling seeing
your project in print, something extra to put in your resume perhaps, and
then possibly gives you the right to complain because you've actually helped
contribute.
A guy like you should be able to churn out a great article in no time, yes?
SC will usually put good articles in pretty quick, within a month or two. So
we look forward to it within say the next 4 months. Just so there is no
confusion, the "K" stands for?

Yes. 3 construction projects in SC, another 3 part article, and over half a
dozen projects in the old EA.
SC have also turned down one of my projects.
I've also got another one ready but am deciding if I'll actually get that
one published or not.

Money ain't everything.

Perhaps, there have been many around the world, but I'd like to think mine
had a different slant. Renew thought it good enough to publish. Which ones
in particular did you think were similar?
Although the 15,000 or so hits per month, many thankyou emails every week,
and many people and schools copying and referencing my design probably puts
your opinion in the minority I'd say.
And your contributions to Renew are...?

Dave.

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

Tax free? I don't think so. (You may have deductions that will effectively
make it so however, since then they will WANT to classify it as a hobby)

MrT.

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

Yes, tax free. For most people it can be classified as hobby income, unless
you are silly enough to deliberably say it's not. SC even gave me a form to
fill out stating that the income I was receiving was for hobby purposes, to
cover their backside too I guess...

Dave.
Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

unless

Which is fine only as long as the tax department agrees it is a hobby. And
that may well be the case for most people.
Claiming blanket coverage for all contributors as a "hobby" however is
incorrect.

MrT.

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

Yep, that's why I said "most".

The main definition is IIRC something like "no reasonable expectation to
make a profit. I'd be most perplexed if anyone can claim having made a
profit from an SC article alone! Perhaps if you did it as part of similar
regular income work or some such.

Dave.

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

In my case according to my accountant - the definition was whether the
"hobby activity activity was run in a organised and businesslike way,
and for a clear purpose of generating income, and unrelated to your
current business activity" (or similar wording).  I remember in my
case that "hobby" income" from activities that were similar to my
profession, were a problem area.

In the end, the amount involved wasn't that great, and it was
considered less hassle just to pay the tax rather than possible extra
accountants fees and possible risk of a dispute over the claim.

As it seems clear from your videos that you are an electronics
professional and earn taxable income from that, and are probably using
for your "SC hobby income" instruments, tools, home office,
proportions of electricity, rent/mortgage on that you may claim as
legitimate work related deductions on against your work income, this
may possibly create a problem or "grey area" for you, in these
circumstances.

As an example - writing/selling books on internet dating - as you
mentioned in another post, is clearly totally unrelated to your
electronics related profession, (it might not be if you ran a dating
agency ;) doesn't use your work related equipment, and unless I am
wrong, is probably done more for fun and hobby, or advising others on
the subject rather than pursuing a career as a writer - should be a
clear-cut case of "hobby income".

(Note, these are my recollections of tax advice that I was given some
6 years ago, they aren't necessarily correct or maybe not still valid
with possible tax law changes made to this matter since that time and
should really be confirmed with an accountant.)

For anyone considering claiming to the ATO that any sort of income is
"hobby income", it would be very wise to consult an accountant first.

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

Yep, the way it works is you keep all those receipts for parts, books,
etc that you used in developing the project. so Income = $10, but
expenses = $1,000, equals deduction of taxable income of $900.

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

I'm sorry where exactly?
"> >>>> $100 per page is the going rate, tax free."

MrT.

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

That's the typical response I expected, as you aren't the first.
So you were interested in getting something published in SC, but now you
refuse to because they don't pay enough?
Ever heard of doing something for the fun and satisfaction of it, and
helping others?
Seeing as that you have (had?) some interest in SC as a reader, what's wrong
with contributing?
You certainly cared enough about SC to complain...

I'm surpsied a person of your obvious high standing in the professional
engineering community even reads a hobby magazine like SC...

No, just asking you to put your talent where your anoynmous mouth is.
You slag off at SC for their poor content and then aren't willing to
contribute anything yourself even though you claim to be more than capable
to do so.

You've made precisely zero money writing to and reading this forum, how
about you turn some of that energy into a publication for us all to enjoy?
And Leo will even pay you a few bucks, ain't he nice?

So, tell us.

BTW, why would I care?, it has nothing to do with anything. Your words speak
for yourself. But given that you are criticising publications, I am
interested in what you have contributed, so show us.

LOL, hardly!
I did it for fun and the desire to contribute something, try it some time,
you might actually like it.

*yawn*

Years? try decades.
 I make no claims for my content being completely original, I just built my
own version and thought it would be nice to publish and share with other
people. And shock horror, many people found it very valuable. Shame you have
such a seemingly low opinion on freely sharing and contributing knowledge.

If I'm wrong, show us stuff you have contributed, or start contributing.

Correct, my choice. You get no say in it, sorry.

I don't do it for the money, that's laughable. The small amount of money I
get is nothing and does not even come close to paying for my time or support
effort involved in doing stuff like this. I do it because it's fun and I
like to contribute.
Ask any contributor and they will tell you the same thing.
Try it some time, you might like it.

No actually, overpopulation and nuclear weapons are.

No I don't actually, my silence indicates precisely nothing. Anything
perceived from my silence is just your active imagination.

BTW, I've criticised SC more than my fair share of times.

If you knew anything about me, you'd know I do give more than a toss about
the environment. I would have thought my Solar Sponge article hinted at
that?

It was a poor(?) attempt at humour, something some on this group actually
enjoy occasionally!

Advice from an anonymous usenet poster?, this should be a hoot...

Oh the irony!

Once again, I contribute and have helped countless people through this and
other forums. And likewise they have helped me on occasion in return.
Show us what you have contributed.

I actually wrote an Internet Dating book a long time ago, in case you missed
it. Yet another contribution of mine. Want a copy?, I'll send you one for
free. It's ok if it's an anonymous PO box to go along with your anonymous
usenet profile, really.

Regards
Dave.

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

Overpopulation, YES. However nuclear weapons are only a major problem IF
they are used. Disposal of radioactive material is a problem of course, but
probably more of it comes from nuclear power plants I will bet.

But as to the thrust of your main argument, NOT everyone cares about seeing
their name in print enough to waste their time generating income for someone
else!!!
Personally I would rather put such articles on-line for everyone to see for
nothing, and NOT have other people profit from MY endevours.
You are entitled to make your own decisions however, but *not* necessarily
criticise those not willing to do the same, IMO.

MrT.

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

"Mr.Turd "

** The possibility that they WILL  BE  USED  increases every day.

That possibility  IS  the single, greatest threat facing mankind.

How typically asinine of  Mr Turd to so grossly misinterpret Dave's comment.

** Seeing one's name in print is not the point -  the telephone directory
does that.  Having ones efforts and ideas judged worthy of publication in a
national magazine is what generates a sense of achievement.

** Time spent that benefits both oneself and others is never wasted.

   What an utter ass Mr Turd makes of himself for saying it is.

** Nothing is all any of your demented ideas is worth.

** Fat chance of that, no matter what a vile Turd like you did.

.....  Phil

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

Agree on overpopulation.
Worse still we are breeding exactly the wrong sort of people (at huge
taxpayer expense).

Nukes seem to me to be a necessary evil and the nuclear weapons club
will only grow.

Since the Iraq WMD fiasco, and the illegal invasion, other nations
that are not (now) friends with the US  (IE: Iran)
have found that nukes are necessary if you are to survive and avoid
invasion or annihilation.

If and when this US economic/currency collapse occurs, and the
"protection racket" that we are on the receiving end of from the US
falls over, Australia might regret not having been in the nuclear
weapons club.
Worse still would be places like South Korea and the middle eastern
nations that are "protected".

In the past I don't recall any nation that had nukes being invaded.
When push comes to shove, it seems its the only form of protection
that has a deterrent effect.  EG: China, North Korea, Former USSR,
etc.

There is Pakistan of course that is unfolding, that could get
interesting.............

Each to his own, there isnt any wrong or right answer to this one.

My 2c worth would be that you would probably have better chance of
exposure in Australia by being published in Silicon Chip, rather than
being on a unknown personal web page that might never be found by the
majority of people. If you have a unique project that few have thought
of asking for, didn't know it existed or could be done,  but it has
benefit, this is a way to get the idea out there and the "Wow - what a
great idea, I could use one of these" factor occurs.  (IE: grabbing
the attention of people who normally wouldn't have thought of such a
project and therefore wouldn't search the web for it, but when shown
it, and it is explained they can see the benefits and then want to buy
and build it).

Bob Parker's ESR meter is probably a good example of this, and a
brilliant device.

If you are producing a project with proprietary parts (ie a coded
microcontroller) that can't just be grabbed off the shelf as a
standard part by regular kit suppliers, and you want to sell the chip
rather than publish the code, then SC probably would help you get more
sales than an unknown webpage.  Whether sales of this type are worth
the trouble is another matter.

Re: Plimer and Silicon Chip

Yep.
No thanks to G W Bush and his insane post 9/11 nuclear policies, and those
who followed.
Also no thanks to Regan who had the best chance ever to stop all the madness
at Reykjavik, but insisted on the stupid Star Wars fiasco that left poor
Mikhail scratching his splotch.

Yes indeed.
Those interested in such things should read Jonathan Schell's The Seventh
Decade. I'm just finising it off, a great read on the subject of weapons
buildup.

Pakistan are only but one of the issues.
Japan are sitting on a stock of something like 50tons of Plutonium, enough
to make thousands of weapons. And the capacity to make untold more, like
80tons projected in the next year or two (that's more Pu than the entire US
arsenal). They are the new Pu global powerhouse. Once they go nuclear (and
their aversion to nuke weapons is shinking to zero), the whole deck of
playing cards starts to fall.

Dave.