Plimer and Silicon Chip

And that's the point. If something CAN happen or be used, it's a threat. How can being able to almost completely wipe out the human race within a matter of hours or days at the push of a button, NOT be the biggest threat facing this planet? The only equivalent threats would be cosmic borne catastrophes.

As Phil and KR have mentioned, there are many other benefits (and the occasional problem) with getting something published. So you aren't just "generating income for someone else", far from it. Phil summed it up nicely when he said "Time spent that benefits both oneself and others is never wasted."

You can have your cake and it eat it too. You can put a project up on your your webpage as well as getting it published. And getting it in SC or some other mag gives you large direct exposure to people who otherwise generally won't find your stuff unless they went specifically looking. And SC will pay you too, not a large amount, but a nice bonus.

While it may be a profit generating magazine, there are those who like to think of the aussie electronics magazine scene as a more of a "community" they grew up with, and therefore like to give something back in return for what they have gained over the years. Thinking you are just helping a magazine make a profit is a very narrow minded view IMO.

Sure, I agree. But you have to look at my critisim in context to "Peter K"s post at which my comments are directed. He criticised the magazines content, of which he claims to be quite capable of contributing to. He even mentioned he would be happy to contribute, but then chucked a hissy when he found out SC won't pay his consulting like fees (LOL!). Anyone who just criticises something but is in a position to help change for the better, deserves a serve in my book.

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

Yep. No thanks to G W Bush and his insane post 9/11 nuclear policies, and those who followed. Also no thanks to Regan who had the best chance ever to stop all the madness at Reykjavik, but insisted on the stupid Star Wars fiasco that left poor Mikhail scratching his splotch.

Yes indeed. Those interested in such things should read Jonathan Schell's The Seventh Decade. I'm just finising it off, a great read on the subject of weapons buildup.

Pakistan are only but one of the issues. Japan are sitting on a stock of something like 50tons of Plutonium, enough to make thousands of weapons. And the capacity to make untold more, like

80tons projected in the next year or two (that's more Pu than the entire US arsenal). They are the new Pu global powerhouse. Once they go nuclear (and their aversion to nuke weapons is shinking to zero), the whole deck of playing cards starts to fall.

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

Of course. Only a fool thinks we are not damaging this planet in untold ways.

There has to be some sort of resource-induced sustainable limit somewhere, but no one knows where or how. The problem is the developing countries are starting to find out how good we've got it, so they want their big house, plentiful high quality food, SUV, big screen plasma and broadband internet as well.

It's insane, no other word for it. The problem is governments run countires like they run big businesses, you gotta show that mythical X% compounded growth every year otherwise you must be doing something wrong!

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

**I recall reading a report when the scientists reported to some politician that they had managed to achieve a power density (of the laser they were testing to shoot down ICBMs) of 10^5 Watts/sq cm (or close to that). The pollie then asked how much power they needed for the system to work. The scientist replied that they needed 10^10 Watts/sq cm. "Oh good" replied the pollie, "you're half way there"...

And they leave idiots like that in charge of the 'button'.

Politicians should be taught about the power under their control.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

ess

US

I didnt know about that. WOW.

I forgot to add Japan to the list of countries under US protection and therefore at huge risk if the US fails. I'm not surprised that the Japanese' aversion to Nuke weapons is shrinking to zero.

Note also that at the recent Japanese election they changed to the opposition party that had been in the wilderness for decades.

The other consequence of all of it could be a drastic realignment of alliances throughout the world, that could also affect economy, security, trade, finance, and who knows what else.

As much as I dislike the idea of nukes, In the face of such a "regional arms race", Australia may be forced to do the same, for its own security. (deterrent effect).

--

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

log.com

Reply to
KR

elf

hey

ut

le

ees

One point I overlooked - if you read Peter K's original post, he only "reads" SC at the news stand, presumably this means that he stands there reading it, rather than buying it. In this case, he gets the info for free, so why "look a gift horse in the mouth" ?

Even though it is his free choice to buy or to read for free - he is not even contributing financially by buying the mag, this isn't going to help it "improve".

If he stops his "reading", I doubt Leo, or anyone else related to SC is going to lose any sleep over it.

Personally, I have always been amazed at how SC, & the former EA teams and their contributors over the years have managed to think up, design, build, prototype and publish such a wide and diversified range of electronic designs, every month, for so many years, on top of all the hassles of running a business. - Even before the days of the internet. The time and effort involved in some of these projects must be staggering

None of this would come cheap either.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

log.com

Reply to
KR

I didnt know about that. WOW.

I forgot to add Japan to the list of countries under US protection and therefore at huge risk if the US fails. I'm not surprised that the Japanese' aversion to Nuke weapons is shrinking to zero.

**If you imagine that Japan could not assemble a nuke within 24 hours, I suspect you are in for a huge shock.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Yeah, I didn't know about that either until I read Schell's book.

Schell quotes they can do it "in a matter of days".

A plutonium implosion nuke isn't as trivial and foolproof as a gun type uranium one, but the japs ain't exactly lacking talent in how to build things.

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

I'm sorry where exactly? "> >>>> $100 per page is the going rate, tax free."

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Yes that is one area where you could possibly benefit.

Agreed, but attacking someone if THEY personally don't think so is rather silly IMO.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Well it may be a "threat", and still not a "major problem". The severity of the problem depends on the liklihood of the threat occurring.

Yes indeed. So one learns to live with what is totally out of human control. That does not include population increase and baby bonuses IMO.

oneself

Sure, but only the individual concerned can make the judgement of how his time is best utilised. No one has infinite time available to them.

they

but

And what I object to is that they make more money from my endevours than I do. YOU may not care, and that is your right, however I am happy to forego a small amount of money, and some ego stroking, just so someone else can make even more money. For those who are real professionals, having their name printed in SC is hardly something to get terribly excited obout IMO :-). However your personal situation may indicate otherwise perhaps.

Nope, this very newsgroup and thousands of web sites now provide what we needed the magazines to do once upon a time. We no longer need to pay the cost of the magazine to read some stupid opinions on climate change etc. Nor to read contruction articles for Jaycar/DSE/Altronics etc. kits. I once bought EA, ETI, and SC every month, but not for a LONG time, I just don't see the value any more.

capable

fees

That's my point, he IS entitled to criticise it (and you are entitled to disagree) Just because he chooses not to "donate" his time to help improve a "for profit" magazine, doesn't mean he is wrong. You just have different agenda's.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Well, there are only two militaries involved with this theorectical capacity. The Russians who have a decrepit and unreliable system and The USA who so far have cocked up every war (including independence) they entered unless someone else was wiping their arse and helping them.

Reply to
terryc

t>he hassles of running a business. - Even before the days of the

You ignore the fact that many of the projects were provided by Dick Smith/Jaycar/Altronics etc to sell kits. Then there are the projects like those under discussion that they pay peanuts for. It's been a long time AFAICT that they had a big team of in house engineers and technicians doing their own kit development. The rest of the mag is mostly ads, press releases, ads, an editorial rant that's just like those on these internet use groups which millions of people post for nothing, ads, and a couple of regular columns like "Serviceman" that they presumably do pay something for.

It all reminds me of Jaycar who have been advertising for staff in SC every month for YEARS, simply because they won't pay the amount of money necessary for the sort of staff they would like to have! They keep hoping someone is desperate I guess.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

It is the number of ads that determine how big the magazine can be and thus how many projects they need.

Reply to
terryc

You must read different history books to mine, if it wasn't for the Americans entering WWII England would be speaking German and Australia would be talking Japanese.

Reply to
Davo

It was the Russians more than the Yanks that defeated the Germans. Whether the Japanese could have invaded Australia is moot, they had pretty well run out of steam before they got here. It was, of course the Yanks who mainly defeated the Japanese, but they didn't do it on their own.

Reply to
keithr

Definitely a different "history" book to you. Yours must have entirely forgotten that WWII was basically won by the Russian. The USA only joined at the end to protect the loans they had made to the UK and Australia had already beaten the Japanese to a stand still with the rump of their forces.

Reply to
terryc

My main critisism of SC is that, now so many projects are microprocessor based, mostly they do not include the source code. In the "Old days" you could build a project from a magazine either straight as published, or modify is as you saw fit. Now, the hardware in many cases is simply the framework that lets the firmware do the job. Without the source code, there is no option but to build exactly as specified, and it is all just a soldering exercise.

Probably a set of articles on programming some of the more popular microprocessors would be an excellent thing for them to publish.

Reply to
keithr

Maybe he reads ones NOT written by the yanks!

The Hawaiians would probably be speaking Japanese I guess.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

"Mr.Turd "

** You ever met up with either Gary Johnson or Bruce Routley ??

Like meeting the BOSSES from HELL !!!!

All Jaycar are *ever* preying after is disaffected staff from DSE who have no where else to go.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison