high-capacity AAA NiMH batteries - who sells them?

I was seeking some AAA batteries for a cordless phone, to extend the
talk time. The existing batteries
are 970 mAh, so I was hoping to get some 1300 mAh.  Local shops don't
seem to stock anything over
1000 mAh. On fleabay, there are tons of Asian vendors offering 1300
mAh, but these are brands I never
heard of.  Also, I saw two sellers with pictures of the same battery,
and one claimed it is 1300 mAh, but
the other seller lists it as only 1250 mAh. I start to wonder if any
of them are truly rated.
Has anybody found any AAA that really has the extra stamina?

Re: high-capacity AAA NiMH batteries - who sells them?

Are you sure it's their capacity that's the issue and not their
self-discharge rate? How long are you leaving the phone between charges?

Sylvia.

Re: high-capacity AAA NiMH batteries - who sells them?

Generally, I leave the phone on charger until it shows full charge.
Leaving it there full time will reduce the battery life, as it is not
a smart charger. Even when showing full charge, it only lasts 60
minutes (the trouble and strife can natter this long with any of
her gossiping friends). When she was away for a week, the battery took
about 5 days to go flat.

Re: high-capacity AAA NiMH batteries - who sells them?

OK, so not a self-discharge issue. Sounds like a higher battery capacity
would simply result in longer conversations though.

1 hour seems a very short talk time. Maybe she's already trashed some of
the batteries by overdischarging them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel-metal_hydride_battery#Over-discharging

I looked around the net, as you have obviously done, but didn't find
high capacity cells from reputable suppliers either. There's clearly a
theoretical upper limit on the capacity of a cell of a given volume or
mass, and 1300mAh may be pushing it for an AAA.

Maybe it's time to look at a new phone instead? I brief search revealed
this page:

http://cordless-phones-review.toptenreviews.com /

Sylvia.

Re: high-capacity AAA NiMH batteries - who sells them?

Maybe it's not the phone that is the problem or needs replacing ?!!

geoff

Re: high-capacity AAA NiMH batteries - who sells them?

Replacing the phone is bound to be cheaper than replacing the wife.

Sylvia.

Re: high-capacity AAA NiMH batteries - who sells them?

Thailand & the Philipines have some inexpensive models.

Re: high-capacity AAA NiMH batteries - who sells them?

I was more thinking of the ongoing costs of getting rid of the old one.

Sylvia.

Re: high-capacity AAA NiMH batteries - who sells them?

I neglected legacy costs.

Re: high-capacity AAA NiMH batteries - who sells them?

All this talk of recycling. Do the right thing here and you want to do the
best in dumping your old CRT TV and they want to charge you $25 !

Getting rid of old junk just ain't so easy (or cheap) any more ....

geoff

Re: high-capacity AAA NiMH batteries - who sells them?

Try Jaycar.com.au.Caveat, not sure of exactly what they have.

Re: high-capacity AAA NiMH batteries - who sells them?

Stay away from no-name batteries that are offered on eBay.
Their ratings are pure fantasy. Some don't even have 20% of the nominal
capacity! I have been testing a number of AA and AAA batteries over the
last 3 month.
Surprisingly, Woollies Essentials were pretty good value for money if it
comes to capacity.

Site Timeline