Low capacity for 9 volt NiMh

Why do 9 volt NiMh batteries have such a low capacity as opposed to alkaline batteries ?

Thanks, Andy

Reply to
Andy K

Prolly a combination of the fact that NiMH tend to have less capacity than alkalines in the first place, and difficulty in making good, teeny NiMH cells.

These are just guesses.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

** Not true.

The way battery makers specify "mAh capacity" favours non-rechargeables like alkalines. In actual use, a NiMH type may outlast an alkaline.

All depends on the actual discharge current and the lowest voltage your device tolerates. NiMH cells tolerate higher discharge rates better and have a steady output voltage compared to alkalines.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I bought a couple of ESB lithium ion 9V batteries rated at 600mAh. Only had them a few days, so jury is still out. I expected them to be 8.4V, but the two I got stop charging at 8.04 and 8.2V respectively. That's a LOT of lost capacity relative to a 8.4V terminal voltage. Only have one indication of low voltage cutoff, but seems to be 6.5V-ish

My voltmeter throws a low battery indication at 7.2V. I'm hoping that the LSD ability is more benefit than the loss of voltage.

Reply to
mike

Some interesting info here (doesn't cover 9 volt batteries, though):

I've no idea how accurate the info is.

--

Jeff
Reply to

Interesting about your 600 mah batteries.

My EBL 300 mah 9 volts charges to 9.53 volts.

Andy

Reply to
Andy K

If it's the rechargeable lithium, I'd be worried about that. If it's the 9.6V NiMH version, that sounds about right.

Reply to
mike

Thanks.

Andy