DSE charging full price for strip-board on special

"Clifford Heath"

** See this link if ABSE is no good for you:

** Just contact DSE support: 1300 660 054

Like I did today & got a 4 page PDF by email in less than 1 minute.

Very cool.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Yes, exactly as planned. :-)

Reply to
Bob Parker

I don't suppose you'd consider putting that up on the Filespoint site too....?? If I'm gunna get one of these CROs, it'd be nice to have whatever support info's available.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

"Bob Parker"

** Don't want to upset DSE by publishing copyright material.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Ah OK. I didn't stop and consider that aspect of it. Thanks.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

Please let us know how you go with that order.. I'm tempted to order some of the development boards, but all the buzz about them I can find on the net is _bad_ --lying about shipping, everything coming from Thailand, becoming an email black-hole when expensive orders still haven't shown up after 4 months, using 'front' overseas addresses, etc..

I actually live in the vacinity of their Broadmeadow 'office', and it's a very small cheap rented flat-- "a Warning Sign", as we'd say.. (Accepting only CC or cheque/money-orders, having no registered Business number, are others..)

--
Chris
Reply to

One of my mates told me most of the above when he tried to deal with them, before finally giving up in disgust.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

"Clifford Heath" <

** I have just tried connecting the monitor lead from my PC to the Q1803.

Pin 13 going to the ext. trigger input and pins 1, 2 or 3 used for vertical.

Result: Sharp, steady and very clear images of the video lines.

With pin 13 linked to the vertical, H-sych pules were steady and clear as crystal - negative going ( referred to + 4.5 ) volt and exactly 2 uS long.

** Purest bunkum !!!

** No.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Futurlec might be cheap but my order took a month to come and it came from thailand.

Reply to
andrew Gamlen

Interesting. I definitely couldn't get it to work. What trigger and timebase settings did you use? Did you see -ve sync pulses (0V on a 5V base) or +ve?

Reply to
Clifford Heath

"Clifford Heath"

** Try reading, INSTEAD OF SNIPPING, my post. <
** I have just tried connecting the monitor lead from my PC to the Q1803.

Pin 13 going to the ext. trigger input and pins 1, 2 or 3 used for vertical.

Result: Sharp, steady and very clear images of the video lines.

With pin 13 linked to the vertical, H-sych pules were steady and clear as crystal - negative going ( referred to + 4.5 ) volt and exactly 2 uS long.

** Purest bunkum !!!

** No.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Ok.

Cool, glad to hear it, but it's not my signal or my result.

I have a +ve going 2us sync pulse, 5 V relative to a 0V level, DC coupled, and if I use another way of triggering (from video), I can see it perfectly - even the overshoot cause by 2m of high-quality VGA to 5 BNC cable not being terminated. But with the HSync on the Y input instead, and everything else set right, it won't trigger at all, with any trigger polarity, trigger level, or timebase setting.

That's why I asked you exactly what you see (and you answered that) and what trigger and timebase settings you used (you didn't answer). In fact you snipped out the fact that I had asked, the same thing you blamed me for.

I could ask another question for you to snip, whether you're using a 1280x1024 video signal with a 60Hz refresh rate as I am? That sets the horizontal sync rate at about 62KHz... yours?

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Geez Cliff!, you should know better than to diss Phil's CRO, them's fighten words!.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

** It was a standard VGA signal.

Do you NOT have one to try with your CRO ????

YOU need to do that.

** Inverted.

** Purest bunkum !!!

It triggers just fine on such pulse.

It triggers on the video waveform just fine too.

The ball is now in YOUR park.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I worked at both a DSE Powerhouse and a regular DSE store.

The problem with DSE is that it's owned by woolworths... and its more important to keep the shareholders happy than the customers.

Most of the good dse staff left once the company stopped staff purchases... I pretty much worked there only to follow my hobbies because the pay was really low, but.. you could always make up the difference by being able to buy parts and bits for 10% over the cost price. Looking back at the amount of people that left when they changed the staff purchases to a generic 5% woolies discount card (5% off retail prices) probably was a big mistake for the company.. after all the cost of the purchases probably didn't outweigh the money and customers that came in because of the more knowledgeable and experienced staff.

DSE is slowly moving out of the hobbiest parts and components and moving into a more of a consumer electronics store. These days you would be VERY lucky to find at least one knowledgeable staff member per store, though most of the staff don't know much more than what's written on the ticket advertising the items. When I worked there (88-94) The staff I worked with all took an active interest in the store because most of us WERE hobbyists, but that time has sadly long gone.

Nowadays, its all commission based for the staff... Nobody wants to spend time helping a customer with a $4 stack of parts when they could be helping the customer eyeying off the $2000 computer system..

If you want toys and cheap electronics go to dick smith, if you want knowledge and advice plus real customer service go to Jaycar. After all jaycar still has all the principles involved that made dick smith such a good store all those years ago.

Cheers!

Reply to
machinesmith

I thought DSE was owned by Coles|Myers!

Daniel

Daniel

some of us are still hanging around. i agree though, many of the people that were in the company when I joined have since moved on with the reduction of parts, shift in direction and the elimination of staff purchase. I joined because like you I wanted to work in an industry that was my primary interest and hobby. Designing projects, building kits, and the desire to be with like minded people contributed to the fun of working for DSE.

You should see the faces of the staff from other stores i come across when they find out i've worked there over 16 years :)

mike

Reply to
Mike Paull

same experience here with Futurlec. Whats more, it took many emails to chase up the missing items from my order. I was also annoyed that there was no mention the items would be shipped from Thailand, not sure if they make that clear now, if not, they should.

mike

Reply to
Mike Paull

That was not his dimness. When DSE discontinues an item head office start marking them down relative to how much stock is left in the stores and it's age, usually starting with a small reduction and increasing over time.

At a certain point, when there is very little stock left at all, the item will be marked as "quit stock" and it will be reduced to any price required to get rid of the item. We have had items for 11c in our store, recent examples that come to mind are mobile phone leather cases and various telephone extension cables and adaptors, old components etc.

We have a couple of the "EasyJack" phone extentions (not the main unit) for about $2ea, previously these were around $149 if i recall correctly.

In the future you might want to think before you call someone you know nothing about, dim.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Paull

Sigh. I'll take suggestions of Australian registered businesses that're selling Z80 or Philips ARM experimenter boards. (Certain spammers *coughdontronics* need not apply..)

(And no, the readily-available Rabbit boards are no good as a Z80 alternative, since I'm intending to do CP/M.)

--
Chris
Reply to