DSE charging full price for strip-board on special - Page 2

Re: DSE charging full price for strip-board on special

"Bob Parker"

** Don't want to upset DSE by publishing copyright material.

....... Phil

Re: DSE charging full price for strip-board on special

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 21:31:00 +1000, "Phil Allison"

   Ah OK. I didn't stop and consider that aspect of it. Thanks.

Bob

Re: VGA Sync levels (using new Q1803 CRO :-)

"Clifford Heath"
<

** I have just tried connecting the monitor lead from my PC to the Q1803.

Pin 13 going to the ext. trigger input and pins 1, 2 or 3 used for vertical.

Result:  Sharp, steady and very clear images of the video lines.

With pin 13 linked to the vertical, H-sych pules were steady and clear as
crystal -  negative going ( referred to  + 4.5 ) volt and exactly 2 uS long.

** Purest bunkum   !!!

**  No.

........   Phil

Re: VGA Sync levels (using new Q1803 CRO :-)

Interesting. I definitely couldn't get it to work.
What trigger and timebase settings did you use?
Did you see -ve sync pulses (0V on a 5V base) or +ve?

Re: VGA Sync levels (using new Q1803 CRO :-)

"Clifford Heath"

** Try reading, INSTEAD OF SNIPPING,  my post.

<

** I have just tried connecting the monitor lead from my PC to the Q1803.

Pin 13 going to the ext. trigger input and pins 1, 2 or 3 used for vertical.

Result:  Sharp, steady and very clear images of the video lines.

With pin 13 linked to the vertical, H-sych pules were steady and clear as
crystal -  negative going ( referred to  + 4.5 ) volt and exactly 2 uS long.

** Purest bunkum   !!!

**  No.

........   Phil

Re: VGA Sync levels (using new Q1803 CRO :-)

Ok.

Cool, glad to hear it, but it's not my signal or my result.

I have a +ve going 2us sync pulse, 5 V relative to a 0V level,
DC coupled, and if I use another way of triggering (from video),
I can see it perfectly - even the overshoot cause by 2m of
high-quality VGA to 5 BNC cable not being terminated. But with
the HSync on the Y input instead, and everything else set right,
it won't trigger at all, with any trigger polarity, trigger level,
or timebase setting.

That's why I asked you exactly what you see (and you answered that)
and what trigger and timebase settings you used (you didn't answer).
In fact you snipped out the fact that I had asked, the same thing
you blamed me for.

I could ask another question for you to snip, whether you're using
a 1280x1024 video signal with a 60Hz refresh rate as I am? That
sets the horizontal sync rate at about 62KHz... yours?

Re: VGA Sync levels (using new Q1803 CRO :-)

Geez Cliff!, you should know better than to diss Phil's CRO, them's
fighten words!.

Re: VGA Sync levels (using new Q1803 CRO :-)

"Clifford Heath"

**  It was a standard VGA signal.

  Do you  NOT  have one to try with your CRO ????

  YOU need to do that.

**  Inverted.

** Purest bunkum   !!!

 It triggers just fine on such pulse.

 It triggers on the video waveform just fine too.

 The ball is now in YOUR park.

........  Phil

Re: DSE charging full price for strip-board on special

Sometime their dimness can work to your advantage.

About a year ago I was on the lookout for one of those brackets for
mounting a TV antenna on a chimney. I sort-of recalled that I had seen
them in the DSE catalog for about $40 at some stage, but it seemed
that they no longer stocked them, and nor did any of the other places
that I usually go past.

Then I happened to go to a Powerhouse store one day to look at
something else, and lo and behold there was one of the brackets as a
"clearance" item for $11. I could not believe my luck. However, when I
got to the checkout, the guy there pointed out to me that the price
marked on it was not $11, it was actually 11 cents! I was so surprised
I told him that could not be right, but he did not want to hear that.
With rounding, it ended up costing me the grand sum of 10 cents.
Andy Wood
snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Re: DSE charging full price for strip-board on special

That was not his dimness. When DSE discontinues an item head office start
marking them down relative to how much stock is left in the stores and it's
age, usually starting with a small reduction and increasing over time.

At a certain point, when there is very little stock left at all, the item
will be marked as "quit stock" and it will be reduced to any price required
to get rid of the item. We have had items for 11c in our store, recent
examples that come to mind are mobile phone leather cases and various
telephone extension cables and adaptors, old components etc.

We have a couple of the "EasyJack" phone extentions (not the main unit) for
about $2ea, previously these were around $149 if i recall correctly.

In the future you might want to think before you call someone you know
nothing about, dim.

Mike

Re: DSE charging full price for strip-board on special

So did you buy it there?

Re: DSE charging full price for strip-board on special

rotating
my
useful
the
that I
or
bother

Jaycar do them for $10 too.

However, today I needed to get me some PIC18F2550's for a USB thing, which
Futurlec don't seem to have (and Jaycar certainly don't), so I went all
Google on it, and found this place:
http://www.modtronix.com.au /
Who not only have the 18F2550, but do the 16F84A for $4.21. They're in QLD
tho.

Re: DSE charging full price for strip-board on special

@news.optusnet.com.au:

 My variation on this experience is "I'd like a 25pin male D-type
connector with solder-tail pins please".

 Blank look, fade to I-hope-this-looks-authorotative look: "I'm
sorry Sir, we don't sell those here".

 "How about a DSE catalogue, do you have one of those?"
 "Certainly Sir"
 (product description pretty much word-for-word what I'd
  just said)

 Much backpedalling ensues...

GB
--
 "Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the
  entrails of the last priest." (Diderot, paraphrasing Meslier)

Re: DSE charging full price for strip-board on special

 > I just ordered a bunch of them from Futurlec for $4.66 each
 > (they're in Newcastle so I had to order it)

Please let us know how you go with that order.. I'm tempted to order
some of the development boards, but all the buzz about them I can find
on the net is _bad_ --lying about shipping, everything coming from
Thailand, becoming an email black-hole when expensive orders still
haven't shown up after 4 months, using 'front' overseas addresses,
etc..

I actually live in the vacinity of their Broadmeadow 'office', and
it's a very small cheap rented flat-- "a Warning Sign", as we'd say..
(Accepting only CC or cheque/money-orders, having no registered
Business number, are others..)

--
Chris

Re: DSE charging full price for strip-board on special

On 07 Jun 2006 20:10:16 +1000, Chris Baird

   One of my mates told me most of the above when he tried to deal
with them, before finally giving up in disgust.

Bob

Re: DSE charging full price for strip-board on special

Futurlec might be cheap but my order took a month to come and it came
from thailand.

Re: DSE charging full price for strip-board on special

I worked at both a DSE Powerhouse and a regular DSE store.

The problem with DSE is that it's owned by woolworths... and its more
important to keep the shareholders happy than the customers.

Most of the good dse staff left once the company stopped staff purchases...
I pretty much worked there only to follow my hobbies because the pay was
really low, but.. you could always make up the difference by being able to
buy parts and bits for 10% over the cost price. Looking back at the amount
of people that left when they changed the staff purchases to a generic 5%
woolies discount card (5% off retail prices)  probably was a big mistake for
the company.. after all the cost of the purchases probably didn't outweigh
the money and customers that came in because of the more knowledgeable and
experienced staff.

DSE is slowly moving out of the hobbiest parts and components and moving
into a more of a consumer electronics store. These days you would be VERY
lucky to find at least one knowledgeable staff member per store, though most
of the staff don't know much more than what's written on the ticket
advertising the items.
When I worked there (88-94) The staff I worked with all took an active
interest in the store because most of us WERE hobbyists, but that time has
sadly long gone.

Nowadays, its all commission based for the staff... Nobody wants to spend
time helping a customer with a $4 stack of parts when they could be helping
the customer eyeying off the $2000 computer system..

If you want toys and cheap electronics go to dick smith, if you want
knowledge and advice plus real customer service go to Jaycar.
After all jaycar still has all the principles involved that made dick smith
such a good store all those years ago.

Cheers!

Re: DSE charging full price for strip-board on special

I thought DSE was owned by Coles|Myers!

Daniel

--

Re: DSE charging full price for strip-board on special

some of us are still hanging around. i agree though, many of the people
that were in the company when I joined have since moved on with the
reduction of parts, shift in direction and the elimination of staff
purchase. I joined because like you I wanted to work in an industry that
was my primary interest and hobby. Designing projects, building kits, and
the desire to be with like minded people contributed to the fun of working
for DSE.

You should see the faces of the staff from other stores i come across when
they find out i've worked there over 16 years :)

mike

Re: DSE charging full price for strip-board on special

Hey Mike

What stores did you work at? I was based in stores around NSW, then when the
first powerhouse opened in bankstown I was moved there, I spent a few years
there then I left because with the staff purchases gone, the pay was really
shitty ;)

Theres a guy at the pretty kewl Bendigo store thats been around for years
and years... lol.. I don't know how he manages it but there you go :)
You arent based in Tassie are you? I think I might actually know you.

Cheers buddy

Site Timeline