Strip board?

Bill mentioned a strip board, which I kind of liked as an idea for implementation of the final circuit. (due to mentioned issue of contacts in breadboard going bad after a while). I looked for it on ebay and only found some UK items. Is it called differently in the US?

Ignoramus4371

Radio Shack has a variety - such as Catalog #: 276-158

This one is 2 3/4" by 3 1/16 with a pad per hole on 0.1 by 0.1 pitch - I find it better than Veroboard - the strips on Veroboard are never quite where I want them and the capacitance between adjacent strips can be pretty high.

I use 32 gauge polyurethane coated magnet wire to wire up the components (it strips with just a soldering iron). This works well for prototypes and can be permanent if you need it to last. They work well for microcontroller and low frequency analog designs - it is not good for RF unless you beef up the grounding arrangements.

kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Probably, or hidden under perfboard or prototype boards. Futurlec sell a stripboard, though it's sllightly different to the original with wasteful corners rather than our plain cut-to-suit sheets.

cpemma

Thanks, looks nice and inexpensive. I will call them on the phone tomorrow and will get a few of these. I also have a great source of parts now, from a 1960's disassembled transistor tester. Resistors, caps, zeners etc. A big pile of boards with components soldered on.

Ignoramus4371

Veroboard is the preferred UK name ( even though that's like calling all vacuum cleaners Hoovers ).

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Just remembered.

Sometimes it's called 'perfboard' ( perforated board ).

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear