DSE charging full price for strip-board on special

I bought some H-5112 "Versa" board at DSE / Powerhouse in Macquarie Centre at North Ryde, NSW on Thursday 1 June, and was charged $7.99, the price on the hanger. However, reading both their ad in (AU) Silicon Chip and their website, it should have been sold for only $2.99, from 24 May.

Reply to
Julian Sortland, VK2YJS

Take it back with the receipt, and a scan or screen capture of the ad. I'm sure it will be an oversight.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:               http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html

Differences between the advertised, shelf and charged prices became such a problem at the Gore Hill DSE some years back that "oversight" was a very unlikely explanation in my view.

Still, if you can be bothered for $4.00, take it back. You're entitled to it. (They're counting on you not being bothered).

GB, remember folks, DSE is Woolworths Limited - they're crooks, through and through.

--
 "Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the
  entrails of the last priest." (Diderot, paraphrasing Meslier)

Agreed, no oversight IMO. They once flatly refused to sell me an item on special at the advertised price, unless I could prove it. When I went back with the Silicon Chip ad, no apology was given, and I asked to speak to the manager. He gave me a BS story about Powerhouses being different, even though the ad made NO distinction and even listed the store in question. I did get the item at the advertised price eventually, but the extra inconvenience killed any faith in their honesty and customer service.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T
\

They are f***'n idiots.

I once needed a bunch of cmos 4000 chips and selected caps/resistors etc. to put together some extra parts of a circuit board. So I go down there and get the guy to help me find all this crap. Then him and the other sales guy bitch at me saying I can't come down with a list of parts again (because all the IC's etc are behind counter and it took them to long to get them all and do the prices on 30 different 2$ chips) and that I should be using mail order for that stuff. Well tricky dicky don't fucken sell the shit at your store or put the damn chips out where people can get them. Its not like they are 1,000$ processors.

I only go there as a last resort because they tend to have more stores closer by than jaycar or anyone else. But it shouldnt be to long before they stop selling electronic parts altogether. Some of their prices are already getting near double that of Farnell Express etc. so much so that at work Im not even allowed to spend more than 100$ at their shop at once anymore.

Reply to
DAC

back

get

all

and

they

At my local DSE the components are out on the floor in 2 stands of rotating plastic draws. The other day I was there to get a recharge voucher for my prepaid phone, and poking around I discovered they actually had some useful components in the rack, so I grabbed a bunch.

At the checkout I had a few other things, so the checkout chick rings up the major items but doesn't bother with the components, despite the fact that I told her I had the catalogue numbers - I wasn't sure if that was policy, or she was just incredibly lazy, but it saved me a bunch, so I didn't bother asking :)

Reply to
Poxy

At least you found some useful stuff. I went to several DSE stores to get some PIC processors and some 4MHz crystals but no one had any idea what a crystal was - when I showed them that they sell 20MHz crystals they were truly amazed that they have crystals.

But then again DSE sells a PIC16F84A for $10 and I just ordered a bunch of them from Futurlec for $4.66 each (they're in Newcastle so I had to order it). Is there a similarly priced place in Sydney? Is Jaycar better/cheaper than DSE?

Cheers, Monica

Reply to
Geek Chick

"Geek Chick"

** DSE cat: Z 9176 = the 20 MHz, PIC16F84A-20, retailing for $9.97 each.

The Futurlec's price you quoted is for the 4 MHz version.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Hah - sounds like yesterday in Box Hill whan I went up to the counter and asked for the Q1803 oscilloscope. The sales guy took me over to the *telescopes*. When I repeated "oscilloscope", he'd never even heard the word before. After he found it on the computer (I had to spell out the catalog code three more times), he was able to go out back and find one. Still showed not a spark of interest in what it was or why someone would want one. Truly dimwitted and likely to remain so.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

rotating

my

useful

the

that I

or

bother

Jaycar do them for $10 too.

However, today I needed to get me some PIC18F2550's for a USB thing, which Futurlec don't seem to have (and Jaycar certainly don't), so I went all Google on it, and found this place:

Who not only have the 18F2550, but do the 16F84A for $4.21. They're in QLD tho.

Reply to
Poxy

"Clifford Heath"

** ROTFL .....

** Funny how DSE stores keep them hidden away.
** Did you buy it?

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Geek Chick wrote in news:44818465$0$25128$afc38c87 @news.optusnet.com.au:

My variation on this experience is "I'd like a 25pin male D-type connector with solder-tail pins please".

Blank look, fade to I-hope-this-looks-authorotative look: "I'm sorry Sir, we don't sell those here".

"How about a DSE catalogue, do you have one of those?" "Certainly Sir" ! Don't sell *those*? (product description pretty much word-for-word what I'd just said)

Much backpedalling ensues...

GB

--
 "Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the
  entrails of the last priest." (Diderot, paraphrasing Meslier)
Reply to
GB

Aren't Futurelec also in US dollars as well?. Stuff I bought from them has been good quality though for the price and came from Thailand as I recall.

DSE in my area don't have those $128 CRO's and don't seem to know what one is or want to stock them, they have the place on the shelf for them filled with tools and crap. Have to stick with the 20 MHz BWD dual trace instead.

Reply to
Mark Harriss

Sometime their dimness can work to your advantage.

About a year ago I was on the lookout for one of those brackets for mounting a TV antenna on a chimney. I sort-of recalled that I had seen them in the DSE catalog for about $40 at some stage, but it seemed that they no longer stocked them, and nor did any of the other places that I usually go past.

Then I happened to go to a Powerhouse store one day to look at something else, and lo and behold there was one of the brackets as a "clearance" item for $11. I could not believe my luck. However, when I got to the checkout, the guy there pointed out to me that the price marked on it was not $11, it was actually 11 cents! I was so surprised I told him that could not be right, but he did not want to hear that. With rounding, it ended up costing me the grand sum of 10 cents. Andy Wood snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Reply to
Andy Wood

I did. It'll get its first task today, as I build a sync mixer for a 21" Sony/HP trinitron (workstation) monitor.

Nice and tidy inside too - good photo of yours. Pity it didn't come with a schematic, but the board's partly transparent so it wouldn't be hard to trace. Might be a good idea, to help with future repair.

Clifford.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

** Ah, so my JPEG is visible to you on ABSE.

Shame my newserver has blocked it.

BTW

Don't forget to change that oversized AC fuse on the back.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I think my news server's blocked it too. With luck I'll have my own Q1803 before too much longer, and I'll have a look first hand.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

"Bob Parker"

** Make sure the sales dude/gal does not try to palm you off with a *telescope* !!

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Reminds me of when I went up to the original Gore Hill DSE once before there were outlets everywhere. I've forgotten what components I was after, it was so long ago. The bloke behind the counter asked what I was going to do with them, and I told him. He said it wouldn't work. I told him it would and what my qualifications were. He kept insisting that it wouldn't and nearly refused to sell them to me, but finally relented with a parting comment to the effect of "When it doesn't work, don't say I didn't warn you!!". That was back when Dick Smith himself seemed to be choosing his staff for their technical "expertise".

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

Well, did it work?