DSE CRO on Sale

The DSE Q1803 10MHz scope is currently on sale for $98:

Insane value for money for a new scope.

Perhaps they are selling the probe and throwing in the scope for free?

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

"David L. Jones" <

** Remember when someone advertised a component tester with a free, 20 Meg CRO chucked in ??

BTW

The term "scope" is American jargon.

Do you call prawns " shrimp " by any chance ?

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Ah, the Phil police are back.

-mark

Reply to
mark jb

Perhaps, but it's funny how the majority of the colleagues I've ever met also prefer the term scope, kinda rolls off the tounge better than CRO in my instances I think. The two terms have always been used interchangeably in every place I have ever worked. I have noticed a slight bias, with the term CRO being used more often for the physical device, as in "where's the 'effen CRO?". And scope being used more often for display related stuff, as in "check the waveform on the scope". Of course, it always seems to be a "CRO probe", not a "scope probe".

Always call a meter a DMM do you?

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

I agree with Phil, probably because we're the same age and only got exposed to all the Americanisms after we'd been doing electronics for quite a lot of years.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

"David L. Jones"

** For those who prefer, you can get the exact same CRO ( badged Caltek) from Farnell inOne for a mere $ 516.18 plus gst. Funny how they have no stock .......

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Guess it depends on who you interacted with when you were taught. I know lots of (Australian raised and educated) guys of yours and Phil's vintage who never use the term CRO.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

I hope you feel dirty .

Reply to
atec 77

"David L. Jones"

** No " perhaps " about it.

It is 100%, * positively * , Septic Tank jargon.

** You must have a lot of " funny " colleagues then.

FYI - d*****ad:

The word " scope " refers to that famous brand of soldering equipment sole here in Australia for many decades.

Not a good idea to get the two mixed up - it could lead to lotsa tears.

** A very smelly red herring indeed.

Like most of your dumb posts.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"David L. Jones"

** All wild heresay of the dumbest sort.

These same mysterious non experts likely never used a soldering iron in their lives.

Compewter geeks for sure.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Hey, have we found another button to push perhaps? ;-)

Nope, really good ones in fact that work in the real world where it doesn't matter if you call an oscilloscope a CRO or a scope.

I've heard that's a common mistake in the toaster repair trade, but in the real world it doesn't happen. Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Would be a pretty silly thing to do if it's a D'Arsonval movement :-)

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

They use the abbreviation of "'scope"? I'm just interested to know.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

Either "scope" or "oscilloscope". Very occasionally "o'scope", but of course that one should be banned! ;-)

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

At least it wasn't "That little box like a small TV with the wiggly lines on the screen"....

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

What if they have no cathode ray tube?

Reply to
The Real Andy

Good point. :) I just say, "Where's me Tekscope?" because that's what's written on it.

Reply to
Bob Parker

I only have one of those crappy (but expensive) Tek LCD 'scopes' these days but I still call it a CRO. I have not used it in the last 4-5 years, perhaps I should sell it..

Reply to
The Real Andy

Its a TDS 220. I see ebay reckons $900, i think i paid near on $2000 IIRC just after they were released. I bought it for field work. Sigh, I got ripped, but it did pay itself off.

Reply to
The Real Andy

Mine's an old THS720 handheld which has paid for itself lots of times, despite a few annoying bugs in its firmware and an intermittent problem associated with one BNC connector which is not a replaceable item.

Reply to
Bob Parker