Digital TV: Why do we have to have it? - Page 3

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

"Terry Collins"

**  I see you like to take folks words out of context and then post bovine
remarks under them.

  **    Moooooooooo.

...........   Phil

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Good Standard Definition STBs cost arount $200... and High Definition STBs
cost around ... $500?
If you have a 'normal size tv' and a good tv reception, there isnt really
anything to be gained by digital tv. If you want to watch wide screen, High
definition will get you there. Digital will eliminate effects of minor
ghosting, noise, and interference. But if your reception isnt good, rather
than having a poor quality picture, youll have none. And unfortunately with
digital, with fast moving scenes you can notice pixelation (under some
conditions atleast).

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

"Denz"
 "Phil Allison"

**  You are out of touch  -  prices have fallen.

**  Utter bullshit.

 SD digital supplies a DVD quality, noise and ghost free pic that very few
folk have with analogue.  Plus a semi wide screen option ( letterbox mode )
that gives more of the picture than analogue 4:3 can.

**  It can *remove* quite major ghosting and serious amounts of noise plus
most RF interference.

 Pics can go from  **totally unmatchable**  to perfect  -   particularly
true with channel 2 since the digital version is on VHF ch 12.

**  Utter bullshit again   -  see above.

**  Not true of the SD digital system.

...........  Phil

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Dick Smith has a generic DSE for $138, Teac for $168, DGTec for $298,
Panasonic for $298. High Definition ranges from $398 to $748. Dick Smith
prices are usually fairly average
www.dse.com.au

really
mode )

All you need is a quality antenna, and no bad conditions to get a good
picture (most of melb area can achieve this). Then theres no point in going
digital. Quite unlike going from B&W to Colour. Sure, I appreciate letterbox
when watching DVD's, but im not too fussed watching 4:3 on analog even if it
is pan & scan or cropped.

Ive youve seen digital work where analog had serious amounts of noise, thats
encouraging. Ive heard this isnt always the case.

I wish channel 2 analog had been on VHF ch 12
Its frequency seems to be a bit low for optimum tv reception (maybe why 0
moved to 10 ?)

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

"Denz"

  **  That is a very good one.

 **  But  NOT  most of Sydney or other capitols.

Melbourne is very flat and all the transmitters are right up on that
mountain top !!

**  Depends just how bad the noise is and if the issue is with ch 2 or not.

Folk with poor antennas ( even indoor ones )  and  ghosty/noisy installed
systems in block of units find  STBs  work like magic.

.............   Phil

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

I didn't.

Natalie

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

there were a number of reasons for the channel 0 stations in Melbourne and
Brisbane to go to 10, poor reception on the 0 frequency was one of them.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

The plan for the 0 to 10 relocation has been around since FM radio first
started in Australia in the 70s.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

If you have excellent reception there is no need for a STB, unless you
really need those crappy extra channels. As for WS, blah, I'd actually
rather watch the footy in standard mode! DVDs are what widescreen is
for, if I want to watch it.

I don't have good reception any more because I've got no outside
antenna, but I was watching a DVD of a TV show I used to watch in my old
place that DID have an outside antenna and excellent reception, no
difference in picture quality at all!

None of it changes the absolute crap on TV most of the time. I don't
really need to see ACA on digital thanks.

Natalie

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

"Natalie"

**  If you have a chauffer there is no need to learn how to drive  ....

**  Just as asinine as the previous  one.

 ** Then don't watch the crap  -  watch only the decent stuff.

..............    Phil

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

***************************** Crap

Cheap STBs cost that much. GOOD ones cost more.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

"Who_tat_me"
 "Phil Allison"

 **  So you got ripped off  -   eh  ??

.............  Phil

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Phil Allison can't afford to spend anything more than $100 on a STB.

He has to budget that low to go with the 21 y.o. Sony CDP-101 CD player, the
ageing AWIA 9500 LW/MW/FM tuner (same model recently passed in on Ebay with
no bids at $19.95) the 12" AWA Deep Image portable tele (circa 1978) and kit
speakers driven by a clapped out amplifier.

ROTLF

Cheers,
Alan

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

************************************************ No, haven't got one. I
don't see any point in getting one because I get excellent FTA reception but
I prefer to watch Foxtel.

Cheap STBs are $80-$150
Good STBs cost at least $200

Prove otherwise

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

"Who_tat_me"
 "Phil Allison"

**  The cheaper ones are still good ones  - you seem to have simply assumed
they are not.

  A big mistake when the Chinese are now killing prices on all such
electronics.

............   Phil

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

but

Phil is quite right, you can pick up a perfectly good stb for $100.
It can render a nice picture from something totally unwatchable on analogue
( ABC on Sydney northern beaches ).
If you lash out like I did, you can get a stb with hard drive for $299 - so
you get a noticeably better picture and no more video tapes to buy.
Of course you may just be rich, and happy to share your cash around.

Regards,
John.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Are they easy to get and widely available all the time?

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

my local woolies has em for $80 pretty much all the time (mcarthur central,
Brisbane CBD)

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

You're lucky. Every woolies I've tried sold out and they don't know if
they're getting any more in.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Check out the links David Jones gave elsewhere in this thread.
Also, between all the major retailers, something suitable is constantly on
special.

Regards,
John.

Site Timeline