Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

"WDino"

** It is actually far better than that. Analogue TV signals cannot operate on adjacent frequencies - there has to be a wide vacant gap equal to another channel between any two stations. ( Chs 9 and 10 are separated by ch 9A - which is to be used for digital ) So for the usual 4 analogue channels to co-exist requires that another 7 or 8 channels be left vacant - one above and one below each channel.

It is by the elimination of these vacant blocks of spectrum ( about 50 MHz worth in each capitol) that new services will be made possible.

It is even better with the UHF band - with digital services all 41 channels can be occupied in the same area instead of the previous max of about 20.

So, allowing 3 x SD signals per channel number results in a possible 123 digital TV channels on UHF !!!

Another benefit is how much closer stations using the same frequency can be located - with analogue there has to be hundreds of miles of separation as even the slightest signal from a distant same frequency transmitter produces a visible image on the screen. With digital, the significantly stronger signal wins out and no sign of the weaker one is seen.

............. Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

You really don't understand how things work do you?

You have to have one overall control and monitoring body or you'd have anarchy.

Reply to
Who_tat_me

Because there would be anarchy.

Reply to
Who_tat_me

Like the early days of AM broadcast. People built stations on the same frequency and caused all kinds of interference. It has to be handled by someone who is responsible to international agreements or it is a real mess.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

** Because the EM spectrum is an extremely valuable public resource - you utterly mad cow.
** Because the Australian Government OWNS the frequency spectrum and MUST administer it for the public benefit.

All users ( commercial or not) of the EM spectrum are licensed so that they can be made to operate in a way that does not interfere with other users nor is contrary to the public interest.

Private industry has self interest and greed as its only driving forces - if you have not noticed.

........... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Maybe the ones that you buy on ebay have them but the under $100 STBs that I've seen in shops are a lot more basic than that. The $79 model that Woolies has been selling recently is one example.

Lucky you.

Reply to
Who_tat_me

Maybe your relatives were just being nice to you. When you went on so much about the virtues of digital they didn't want to upset you by saying "No, I can't see any bloody difference."

Reply to
Who_tat_me

"Trevor Woods" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eftel.com:

If you're in Tassie you need it to watch ch10.

Reply to
lora Norda

normal

benefit

CAN

parents

in

areas.

of

In

case to

contradict

much

"No, I

Nope. They beg me to come around and fix the slightest problem they have, they can't standing watching analog any more it gives them headaches. Face it, you are wrong. The STB digital picture is MUCH clearer to SOME people. Just because you have no people that it makes a difference with doesn't mean that's the way it is.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

today.

analogue phones.

Reply to
regn.pickford

I still use my old Sony analogue TV in conjunction with a Topfield TF5000PVRt STB and while this is not a HDTV unit, I have never seen any pixellation or "jaggies" while watching AFL in 16:9 or any other format. The resolution and clarity of the picture are eminently superior to standard analogue FTA and I get excellent analogue reception where I am anyway. This will do me until I can afford a larger widescreen display.

Perhaps your neighbour's STB is not one of the better quality units such as the Topfield and that is what is causing the pixellation and "jaggies" problem.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

3

that

Not according to this thread:

(Hope the link works) They claim the new Wollies box has RCA and Digital out for your lousy $75. But then again, you should know that, you contributed to the thread. I find it curious that you contribute to a digital TV forum yet you don't have an STB yourself. Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

for

I like the menus, I like the programme information and guides. I have never used the radio side of it, I have my favourite stations already programmed into the entertainment centre.

The improvement in the picture is really effective where I live. It goes from snowy to crystal clear. It was a good buy

Reply to
regn.pickford

Well a good STB may have features such as dual tuners and a hard disk for recording (up to 200Gb currently) so you can actually record two programs simultaneously, even while watching a previously recorded program.

I don't specifically know what makes a "good" STB better than a cheaper one with less features. This is for the individual to decide based on what they consider is "good", what features they desire, and how much they wish to pay. Here is a typical "good" quality STB if you have around $900.00 (new retail) to spare

I'd have to agree with that...

Reply to
Ross Herbert

It doesn't have SCART, which is the most compatible outlet. Most TVs and home stereos don't have coax in so that leaves just 1 set of RCA connectors and RF for most people.

Since when is aus.tv a digital TV forum?

Reply to
Who_tat_me

Just out of interest, were they a big point when you purchased your STB?

*snip*

I know of quite a few people who purchased didgital STBs specifically for that reason and many of them are happy. Unfortunately a lot are in a position where nothing helps their TV reception but even some of those prefer the digital picture over the analogue version. Even the pixelation that they now suffer is better than the severe ghosting that they previously had to put up with.

Reply to
Who_tat_me

No I'm not.

Of course it is but if you already have a good analogue picture, a digital STB is no substitute for spectacles or laser surgery

Just because you have a limited number of relatives who who think it makes a difference doesn't mean that's the way it is either.

Reply to
Who_tat_me

so

saying

You claimed that improved clarity in the digital STB picture offers NO improvement what so ever for visually impaired people. I know several visually imparied people who will tell you otherwise. Therefore you are wrong.

digital

Never said it was. I can help SOME people that's all.

makes a

What part of SOME people don't you understand?

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Same as any political party too. I do however agree it is a government responsibility, which is why I'm surprised they haven't given it to private enterprise yet, like they have all their other responsibilities. Taxation is the only one they really want.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

over

the

$$$

8

Mostly it was that I had seen the improvement in picture on another tv.

I wouldn't have bought it only for the menu system but it is a pleasant add on.

previously

The picture is magic and the pixelations ony kick in when there's a storm blowing and even then only for a few minutes till the storm eases up. Day to day it's like watching a DVD! ;^)

Reply to
regn.pickford