Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

all

discussion of

aus.tv.digital is

that I

The link I posted shows aus.tv.digital only, so unless Google is lying or not showing cross posted groups, you do post to aus.tv.digital

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

feed an

Not that great I would suspect. Never tried it myself, as even my crappy 20yo 2nd TV has an A/V input.

so the

As above.

to the

As above.

using

TVs.

pic

Yes, I suspect you are right Phil, except in the case of Who_tat_me who doesn't even have an STB :->

Still ain't going to make any difference whether you get a $100 cheapie or a $300 "good" unit though ;-)

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

bject: Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it? Date: 27 Mar 2005 14:56:33 -0800 From: "David L. Jones" Organization:

Newsgroups: aus.tv, aus.politics, aus.electronics References: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8 , 9 , 10 , 11 , 12 , 13 , 14 ,

15
--
?

Michael A. Terrell
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

like

TV

Digital is a backward step in some cases since it sometimes pixilates.

Barry

Reply to
Barry OGrady

"AJ" = what a d*****ad Phil Allison

** Snip mindless abuse from a f****it.

** Bullshit - the poster ( "regn.pickford " ) who mentioned radio was speaking of the digital radio channels you get from a STB - quote:

" Set top box's give you better pictures and a menu system that has a programme guide built in with programme information to boot. They also tune in radio stations, they're excellent value at just over $100 "

** Yes he was - d*****ad.

** He never mentioned other radio signals.

** You are totally off with the fairies - f****it.
** STBs do NOT contain a FM broadcast receiver - d*****ad.

They DO provide capacity for DIGITAL radio reception in the VHF and UHF bands.

Hundreds of radio channels are possible.

............. Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

The link you posted earlier had nothing to do with me though. As for me posting to aus.tv.digital, if you try reading through some of the posts there, you will see exactly why I subscribed to that group. It is explained in the very first post that I made to that thread, not that it has any relevance to this thread. I gather that now your arguments are evaporating you're becoming a little desperate so you're reaching for anything that might help you dig your way out of a hole. Don't bother.

Reply to
Who_tat_me

Easily explained. We've been having a discussion about the benefits of digital. His arguments have been shot down so now he's grabbing for anything that he thinks might help him, even if it's totally off-topic and irrelevant to the conversation. He's at the "Shit! Now I'll have to try discrediting the other poster" stage.

Reply to
Who_tat_me

At the same time, analogue suffers from ghosting, noise etc. I'd rather have the occasional pixellation.

Reply to
Who_tat_me

It's not often that I agree with Phil but this is one of those times. There have been several explanations in other posts that you seem to be ignoring. I've given one or two myself.

Reply to
Who_tat_me

Maybe in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane but not in the rest of the country. There was one post recently from somebody who said his local Woolies has cheap STBs all the time. My local Woolies got 20. That's all they've ever had and they don't know if they'll ever get any more. A thorough check of Lower Hunter stores found no cheap STBs available at all.

Reply to
Who_tat_me

He said it tunes in radio stations, did he mention digital at all. If you knew that there were digital broadcasts then you might have assumed that was what he was talking about, but futher back people were talking about having extra boxes remotes etc, and someone said that a STB could more or less get rid of a radio because it had radio tuner inbuilt, which to mine didn't specificaly mean digital. Its a whole heap of good if its only ABC stations you can tune in, isn't it. How does that help with poor radio receiption in these units that you are so fond of? It doesn't until such time as more than the ABC are broadcasting on digital, and with this digital radio is that the same standard as is being planned for digital radio or will it be something totally different?

Don't know about that, and Oh FM radio was mentioned.

Possible yes, but now, how many, and my guess is if its ABC then its probably only the national ABC stations and not the local ones.

Reply to
AJ

like

do

TV

existing

If you've got pixellation, it's indicative of low signal strength. Try an antenna with a higher gain, and/or upgrade the coax from the antenna to the tv/vcr/tuner/digital tuner.

Reply to
dmm

TV station equipment had to be replaced with digital. The ABC had to beg for nearly $100m to afford it.

In order to force people to adopt digital, because they won't do so by their free will, the digtial legislation calls for the analogue signals are to be switched off in 2008. Rendering TVs, VCRs, Tuner cards etc. useless.

dewatf.

Reply to
dewatf

A DVD quality picture is only slightly better than a PAL one (it will just be a bit crisper). When watching VHS, as I do most of the time, then then the picture is below PAL quality no matter whether I spend $100 on STBs (and have to programme that to record something) or not.

I have no ghosting, I have no noise (except on SBS when there is a downpour). The only extra channels are SBS foreign news and repeats of ABC programmes. I get ABC2 on Foxtel, never actually wanted to watch anything on it though.

A $150 analogue VCR will provide stereo and record programmes.

Yet they don't abandon analogue, even for $100 STBs.

And one STB won't get you off analogue. To do what I do now I would need 3 STBs or a DVR with tuners that could tape 2 programmes while watching a 3rd. And that will cost far more than $100. And to get significant benefits in picture and sound spend a lot more on a widescreen TV and surround sound stereo system.

And the other TV in the house would some thing similar.

A $100 STB would make bugger all difference to my views, as it would for most people, which is why they haven't bothered.

dewatf.

Reply to
dewatf

"dewatf" ... "Phil Allison"

** It is dramatically better - you pig ignorant f*****ad.
** You are not the subject - f*****ad.
** You are not the subject - f*****ad.

** You are not he subject - f*****ad.

** You are not he subject - f*****ad.
** You are not most people - f*****ad.

............ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"dewatf" Chasing Kate

** For ch 10 in Sydney to put a digital signal on air was ridiculously cheap.

Only a small ( 5kw) transmitter and a digital modulator - peanuts to them.

** Nothing is rendered useless - you lying f*****ad.

........... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

The second half will be shortly.

They gave them away in Melbourne under Kennett.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Federal.

Just as I stated.

Government in Australia is Federal, state, and local.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Agreed. But I would rather have extra digital channels than dual transmission for ever.

I'd love to know how Phil programs his VCR to tape from his STB, turn it on, and change channels when he's not home. Or how he proposes to do it when analog transmission is turned off.

It will be partly useless anyway!

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Hi Ross

Do you notice any difference between Ch9's coverage & that of Ch10's? I find even on analogue, 9 doesn't seem as good as 10?

--
Regards

Chopper