Digital TV: Why do we have to have it? - Page 13

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Goodie, same bucket of crap in High Definition. Yippee.

Digitial TV (as with radio) has everything to do with marketing and
interactivity. $$$$... there's no need for it except to sucker more people
into buying baubles and trinkets they don't need.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:55:29 +1030, Chasing Kate
composed:

Lack of quality content aside, I can imagine the benefit of HDTV on a
large screen TV. As it is now, I can almost see the individual scan
lines on my 80cm 625-line Sanyo - the line pitch is about 0.8mm.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Because digital is better.
No ghosting and a far superior picture.
And for most people the cost is minimal.
Set top boxes can be had for less than $200, which is cheaper than the
aerials required for analogue in poor reception areas.
Live program guides, extra channels on SBS and the ABC, better sound etc.
It's simply a better technology.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

If Digital is so cheap and so good, why after 5 years it still
only has ~660,000 units installed. Considering Australia is usually
quick to jump on technology bandwagon, Phones,Computers, Internet etc..
 From a sales point of view its a complete disaster.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

"ferret"   =   "ferkwit"

 **  That many ??   I'm surprised.

**  False analogy.

  As a result of  Govt decree  DTV presently offers a picture quality
improvement only .

 **    Rot.

.................   Phil

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

How is this NOT a marketing disaster.

The government is not doing a Inquiry into why TOO many people
have changed over to Digital !

The government is concerned the Mandate to cut-off analogue will
expire before the majority have switched over. The impact of
this would be huge dent in spent advertising tax dollars.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

"ferret"

**  That is a different question in a new context  -  dickhead.

Makers and sellers of  STBs have made good money from them  -  the same
designs are sold in Europe and elsewhere.

**   Most folk put off whatever is not urgent -  when it gets urgent they
finally do it.

      Wait and see what the Senate committee reports.

.............   Phil

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

And again   WHY does this have to be debated in the Senate?
Seems  a waste of time

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Because the government manages the country and it was the government who put
in place the plans to phase in digital and phase out analogue. Since the
government's plans aren't going according to schedule it seems only logical
that they should investigate the reasons why those plans are going the way
that they want them to so that they can determine what action to take.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

The government should never have its fingers in
these sort of things...

Leave it all to private industry to handle. They'd
do a much better job IMHO

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

"Chasing Kate"

** What  "things" are you mysteriously alluding to now ??

Management of the use of electromagnetic spectrum ??

That is absolutely and naturally and function of government.

**  Again, you are not being specific and you have ignored all explanations
supplied.

   Deliberately  -   like any other stinking  troll.

............    Phil

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

That is what I was alluding to?

Why should the government be in control of it and not a
private independant industry body????

Again I meant:  Why not let private industry and an independent
body to handle and run things like digital TV and who gets what
and how the frequencies are divided up.....

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Because there would be anarchy.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Anarchy???  Such as?

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

It's not often that I agree with Phil but this is one of those times. There
have been several explanations in other posts that you seem to be ignoring.
I've given one or two myself.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 00:32:09 +0930, Chasing Kate

[snip]

<sigh> Why do you bother? Here's a thought why not try some research
as to what's gone on in similar situations before displaying your
ignorance for all to see and essentially trolling the newsgroup.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

"Chasing Kate"

**  Because the  EM spectrum is an extremely valuable public resource  -
you utterly mad cow.

**  Because the Australian Government OWNS the frequency spectrum and  MUST
administer it for the public benefit.

 All users ( commercial or not) of the EM spectrum are licensed so that they
can be made to operate in a way that does not interfere with other users nor
is contrary to the public interest.

Private industry has self interest and greed as its only driving forces  -
if you have not noticed.

...........    Phil

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Same as any political party too.
I do however agree it is a government responsibility, which is why I'm
surprised they haven't given it to private enterprise yet, like they have
all their other responsibilities.
Taxation is the only one they really want.

MrT.

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

And which responsibilities are those?

Re: Digital TV: Why do we have to have it?

Telecommunications, electricity, gas, water, and many others depending on
state/territory.

MrT.

Site Timeline