Weird keyboard behavior

I've got a RPi4 with USB keyboard and mouse. It all works fine but there's a very odd thing, which took me awhile to figure out: I have to press @ to get " and I have to press " to get @.

Is that a Pi thing? Linux? Faulty keyboard? International settings? I've never seen such behavior. Aside from that it seems to be fine.

Reply to
Mayayana

localization - keyboard

Reply to
ray carter

If @ is on shift-2 you have an American keyboard. " on shift-2 is English. Set the keyboard type in raspi-config/Localisation Options.

--
Chris Elvidge
England

"Chris Elvidge" wrote

| If @ is on shift-2 you have an American keyboard. " on shift-2 is | English. Set the keyboard type in raspi-config/Localisation Options. | Ah. Thanks to both of you. I wondered if it might be something like that.

Reply to
Mayayana

That's an international keyboard thing IIRC.

The Natural Philosopher

I've lived with this for some time, but on a BeagleBoard running RISCOS. A friendly oddity that comes and goes, sometimes correctly, sometimes wrongly :-)

--
Mark J
From RISCOS 5.27 on a BeagleBoard-xM and Raspberry Pi2B

On Linux run raspi-config and localisation options, keyboard, and choose US.

On RISC OS use *Keyboard USA, and *Configure Country USA to remember the setting on reboot.

---druck

Reply to
druck

What makes it come, and what makes it go? I can't understand why it would change except as a result of a deliberate action on your part.

David

Reply to
David Higton

Life is full of events that sporadically come and go without deliberate actions - as atm my 'phone line which has been dead for two weeks, but is able to have WAN connectivity, and for which Techies cannot see any reason. I am a user, and don't deliberately take actions to violate things that are working peacefully.

--
Mark J
From RISCOS 5.28 on a BeagleBoard-xM and Raspberry Pi2B
- and Linux on a PandaBoard ES, Raspberry Pi3B+ and Pi4B
Reply to
Mark J

the phone line has nothing to do with the WAN, except it shares the same physical line. Hopefully someone will find and solve the issue for you. I spent >10y in phone provisioning - I've seen a lot - nothing can surprise me anymore :) especially since Indian companies do the development and support :P

Reply to
Deloptes

If it's what we call an ADSL connection here in the UK then symptoms of 'no phone' but 'internet working' are not that rare. If there's a physical break in the wires then your POTS phone will stop working but because the internet connection uses (moderately) high frequencies the break in the wire just attenuates the signal somewhat but doesn't stop it working completely.

--
Chris Green
Reply to

I think nowdays the providers use SIP over dedicated SIP network. If there is a POTS somewhere it would be rarity. Even the middle age NCS are being decommissioned. It could be anything from some DB issue preventing the device to register, wrong boot files or faulty firmware upgrade - faulty equipment between the device and the provide - anything.

Reply to
Deloptes

There's lots of POTS phones still here in the UK, at least the last few miles is still a copper (or if you're unlucky) an aluminium pair.

--
Chris Green
Reply to

This is true, but the voice switches changed. I worked for a provider in Ireland and the DMS100 was decommissioned 5y ago. What stayed is the CS2K which would do the switching for your two copper or aluminum pair wire. A friend I met in another project worked for Virgin Media in the UK, but I stepped back and I don't know what kind of switches they use there. So basically there are no POTS (analog) lines on the switches (at least in half of Europe where I worked). I bet you have a phone with buttons and not with the old rotary dial. The reason to decommission the POTS was the maintenance and electricity cost not to mention the size.

Reply to
Deloptes

Yes, but since the last mile or two is still copper the explanation I gave for how you can have no telephone service but have an internet connection still stands. A break in the 'last mile or so' of copper will produce those symptoms.

--
Chris Green
Reply to

When I had FTTH installed here the first thing they did (after erecting a couple of poles) was run copper to the house with a POTS service on it, then a week or so later another crew turned up and installed the fibre. The POTS service is active but never used. It would make a lot more sense if the fibre termination was powered by the 50V on the POTS line but it's powered by being plugged into the mains.

C:\>WIN                                     | A better way to focus the sun
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

-=> Ahem A Rivet's Shot wrote to Chris Green When I had FTTH installed here the first thing they did (after AAS> erecting a couple of poles) was run copper to the house with a POTS AAS> service on it, then a week or so later another crew turned up and AAS> installed the fibre.

I assume the dial tone showed up as a charge? Back when DSL started out in 1999-2000, the local exchange carrier required an active phone line to deliver DSL, whereas the people who resold DSL services could provide DSL only. The extra charge, combined with stonewalling the resellers and making it difficult for them to provide service effectively killed off a couple of the carrier's own customers.

... Go to an extreme, move back to a more comfortable place

Reply to
Kurt Weiske

-=> Deloptes wrote to Ahem A Rivet's Shot When I had FTTH installed here the first thing they did (after > erecting a couple of poles) was run copper to the house with a POTS > service on it, then a week or so later another crew turned up and > installed the fibre. The POTS service is active but never used. It would > make a lot more sense if the fibre termination was powered by the 50V on > the POTS line but it's powered by being plugged into the mains.

De> May be I am understanding something different under POTS than you guys.

De> Plain old telephone service, or plain ordinary telephone system, is a De> retronym for voice-grade telephone service employing analog signal De> transmission over copper loops (Wikipedia)

There's a 48vDC current running across the copper pair in a POTS line. It's called talk battery or loop current. I think the original poster was talking about powering the fiber terminator over it.

... Go to an extreme, move back to a more comfortable place

Reply to
Kurt Weiske

-=> Axel Berger wrote to Deloptes Phones used to work in emergencies. There was a direct wire to the AB> exchange and that was battery buffered. Today an electrity blackout AB> means no phone, no emrgency calls for an ambulance and no fire service AB> in case one of the many candles used topples over. You're cutr off like AB> rural places in the 19th century but unlike them totally inable to cope AB> on your own.

Comcast, my cable provider, offers an internet/telco modem that provides dial tone. There's a spot in the modem to install a small battery backup, but I'm tempted to throw it on a spare desktop UPS and see how long it'll run.

I still have one 2500 set left over from my days as a Phone Guy, keep it near the modem *just in case*.

poindexter fortran | pfortran at realitycheckbbs dot org |

| 1:218/700@fidonet

AB> -- AB> /-\ No | Dipl.-Ing. F. Axel Berger Tel: +49/ 221/ 7771 8067

AB> / \ Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --

AB> --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05 AB> * Origin: Agency HUB, Dunedin - New Zealand | FidoUsenet Gateway AB> (3:770/3)

... Go to an extreme, move back to a more comfortable place

Reply to
Kurt Weiske

-=> The Natural Philosopher wrote to Deloptes They are due to all be phased out, it is true, but not just yet. TNP> How can you tell? Line crackle. VOIP does not *crackle*

It's that time of year, the first rains of the season, when the overhead telephone lines get wet, terminations corrode, and line quality goes to hell.

Calling Pac Bell, complaining about line noise, and being told the solution to getting what you've already paid for was to pay more.