Share your keyboard and mouse between computers with Barrier

Declutter your desk by sharing your mouse and keyboard across multiple
computers at once, including your Raspberry Pis, with Barrier.
Raspberry Pi Director of Software Engineering, Gordon Hollingworth,
shows you how.[...]

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/share-your-keyboard-and-mouse-between-computers-with-barrier/

--

Eduardo

Re: Share your keyboard and mouse between computers with Barrier

Why?

You already have X on the Pi and on your desktop. You can just use that.
No need for a KVM or VNC. No need to download and install /another/ package.

You already /have/ the software. You just need to learn how to use it.

--
Lew Pitcher
"In Skills, We Trust"

Re: Share your keyboard and mouse between computers with Barrier

Last time I looked - back in the noughties - Windows didn't provide SSH
support out of the box, so you had to install an SSH implementation,
usually PuTTY. However, a quick search shows that its now a Windows 10
standard package, enabled by default from April 2018: well done M$.
Welcome to the 21st century.

However, but that some people, i.e. those who installed Win 10 before
April 2010 and have just been applying upgrades since then or who have
never updated their windows box at all, may still need to explicitly
install it.

That is probably worth mentioning the latter when somebody asks about
accessing an RPi from Windows, especially when you realise how many
people never apply updates and patches and/or are still using older
Windows versions.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Re: Share your keyboard and mouse between computers with Barrier

For Windows, I'd use
 PuTTY for ssh, and
 Xming for an X server

FWIW, long ago, I wrote a Linux Gazette article on how to do this
  https://linuxgazette.net/129/pitcher.html
The details haven't changed much since then.

--
Lew Pitcher
"In Skills, We Trust"

Re: Share your keyboard and mouse between computers with Barrier

I should mention that I've republished that article on my own website
  http://justlinux.ca/articles/Prisoner_of_Windows
along with a companion piece
  http://justlinux.ca/articles/Pane_Relief
that describes how to set up Windows desktop shortcuts to remote X
applications.

--
Lew Pitcher
"In Skills, We Trust"

Re: Share your keyboard and mouse between computers with Barrier

Well, when I connect to the company VPN only way is a KVM, cause nothing
comes in or out from the box except to and from the company VPN.

Re: Share your keyboard and mouse between computers with Barrier

Pardon me for asking, but /why/ would you want to use a GUI to a Raspberry
Pi buried behind your company's VPN? Perhaps some Skonkworks development
effort? Inquiring minds (should mind their own business :-) ) ...

--
Lew Pitcher
"In Skills, We Trust"

Re: Share your keyboard and mouse between computers with Barrier

It doesn't matter what the machine is. The point is that you can not use X
or whatever like ssh, VNC etc. to access two devices that are in different
networks, which do not see each other. The only way is a KVM and I can
recommend looking closely at the chipset inside and not saving on that one.

Re: Share your keyboard and mouse between computers with Barrier

Ahhh.... but in comp.sys.RASPBERRY-PI, it /does/ matter.

So? Move the goalposts much?

Got one to advertise here, do you?

--
Lew Pitcher
"In Skills, We Trust"

Re: Share your keyboard and mouse between computers with Barrier
mobaxterm

Re: Share your keyboard and mouse between computers with Barrier

From what I can see of it, mobaxterm looks good. A bit (intentionally)
limited in some areas, and certainly closed source, but apparently capable
enough for home use. And, moderately inexpensive for use in a business
environment. It'll work.

--
Lew Pitcher
"In Skills, We Trust"

Re: Share your keyboard and mouse between computers with Barrier

The great advantage is you download it, unzip it and run it and 99% of
the time there's nothing to set up. It just works. Simple and quick to
get X working on Windows. I still use Putty and, more and more, WSL's
ssh. For people like me that have to use Windows and Linux, it's very
useful.

Re: Share your keyboard and mouse between computers with Barrier

Other than the licensing terms of the Xming binaries?

Re: Share your keyboard and mouse between computers with Barrier
On Thu, 21 May 2020 14:46:57 -0000 (UTC), Martin Gregorie

    That's going to be very few... Win10 INITIAL RELEASE was July 2015!

--
    Wulfraed                 Dennis Lee Bieber         AF6VN
     snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

Re: Share your keyboard and mouse between computers with Barrier

the point is you can have a screed dedicated to your workstation &
another dedicated to your Pi & just move the mouse from one to the other
just like in a multi monitor setup on a single pc.

--
Not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.

Re: Share your keyboard and mouse between computers with Barrier

And, how is that different from Xnest?

--
Lew Pitcher
"In Skills, We Trust"

Re: Share your keyboard and mouse between computers with Barrier

Machine A is connected to monitor A, next to it is machine B connected to
monitor B, the mouse is connected to machine A and controls machine A on
monitor A, but the pointer can seamlessly jump to monitor B by going over
the edge, it then controls machine B while the mouse is still connected to
machine A. So, like he said, just like having a dual monitor setup on one
machine.

That scenario didn't come up in a quick google of Xnest.

Re: Share your keyboard and mouse between computers with Barrier

Back when I still had a Windows machine, I installed x2vnc on the
machine with keyboard and mouse attached and a VNC server on the
Windows box. That had the effect described.

Re: Share your keyboard and mouse between computers with Barrier

Same here - I've also used VNC professionally, as part of a team where
all Linux.UNIX access from PCs used VNC for program development. That was
15-20 years ago but I recall it working well in that situation.

PuTTY was just as good for interactive access in text mode, but had the
extra advantage of also supporting file transfers.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Re: Share your keyboard and mouse between computers with Barrier

The Barrier has the same flaw as many other remote
access packages: It does not handle international
keyboard layouts correctly. I just tried, and
Barrier fell back into the US keyboard layout.

--

-TV

Site Timeline