Wireless keyboard

I've got a Logitech K400+ wireless keyboard that came with a tiny USB stick that can hardly be even called a stick, because it sticks out only about 1/4" from the USB connector. This supposedly makes this a USB keyboard. What I don't find anywhere is what kind of wireless connection is used between that USB stick and the keyboard itself. Is it Bluetooth, WiFi, or some kind of proprietary radio link. The reason is that I'd like to use this keyboard also as an external wireless keyboard for my Samsung QLED smart TV that accepts WiFi or BT external devices but I don't see how I could also use that USB stick with it.

Reply to
Cameo

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Thanks. The video still does not point out though how he connected the keyboard to the TV. After googling for it myself, I found that I would also have to transfer the USB dongle that came with the keyboard, to a USB port of the TV. Not very convenient, but I'll try. At least if I could get a second USB dongle that I could just keep in the TV. It would be much simpler if the connection was a pure Bluetooth or direct WiFi that would require no USB dongle. But I didn't think of it when I bought this darn keyboard.

Reply to
Cameo

You need not only a USB port, but the device will need to be running an ope rating system that supports a driver for the device.

I would love to see a universal standard for such devices. I find Bluetoot h to have issues with lag when used with a mouse. The closest there is to a standard is the Logitech protocol which is proprietary, but used with vir tually all of their devices and they have the lion's share of the market. Still, no one builds that into their products to support the mice or keyboa rds without a plugin dongle.

Silly of the TV maker to not include USB for devices even if just memory st icks.

--
  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

ly

on

h,

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Actually, my TV does include USB, so I was able to stick that Logitech dongle in it and try the keyboard. And it worked immediately. So I was able to bring up the Google browser and type into the search bar as if I was typing on my laptop.

Reply to
Cameo

Thanks, that's the info I was hoping for, just didn't know what keyword to use for the search. Good to know that I can actually buy another Unified Receiver dongle that I can permanently use with the TV set.

Reply to
Cameo

Any idea what OS is running on your TV? How about your toaster. Will the mouse work with that? lol

--
  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

Not mine, seems to just work whatevdr I plug in to. I haven't tried in a MAC but really - it is not goig to work. But Linux, Windows back to 98SE at least, in fact that is how old it is.

It amazes me how shit used to just work, plug that thing into Win 10 and it will need five updates that take a week and 16 reboots.

Bur in XP it just works, doesn't even go through the "Drivers successfully...shit". It just says "New hardware detected" and it works right then and there.

But see, this is progress.

There is no reason a wireless KB and mouse can't put the same codes into that USB port that a regular KB and mouse would.

Well except they want to f*ck you around. In XP or Linux you just plug it in and it works.

Try it on an XP box, watch it say "New Hardware Found" and just work, not even "Drivers installed".

They want to f*ck you around.

Reply to
jurb6006

They save about 20c by using a proprietry link.

Try plugging it into the TVs USB

--
  Jasen.
Reply to

Then how come the keyboard is working in an old PC BIOS ? And that is a GREAT advantage over Bluetooth.

Reply to
bilou

And reduced latency. BlueTooth is actually pretty dumb for this application, especially mice, because of its paranoid error retry policy, completely counter-productive for mouse motion.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Too bad this Unifier stick does not work with wireless headphones where latency compared to the watched video can be really annoying.

Reply to
Cameo