Connecting mouse and keyboard on POi Zero

I just bought a RPi Zero. In order to connect a mouse and a keyboard  for
initial set up it needs a powered USB hub.

This simply does not work.

The system works with keyboard directly connected, or mouse directly
connected.

Keyboard alone or mouse alone connected via the hub does not work.

The hub itself works fine when attached to my main desktop.

One of the solutions would be to buy a keyboard with touch pad included
but I don't want to do that since I would have no further use for it
after initialization.

I would appreciate any ideas anyone might have.

Best Regards,
             Jack Fearnley

Re: Connecting mouse and keyboard on POi Zero

Disclaimer: I don't own a Pi zero, only spend 5 mins looking at pics and
reading the associated text.

So, how did you connect the hub to the PiZero?

If its connected to the power socket (the microUSB socket nearest the
corner), then that's not going to work because that socket is only for
use as a power inlet. There is only one data-capable micro-USB socket:
the one to the left of the power socket when the sockets are on the edge
nearest to you.

Apparently the data-capable USB socket can also power the Pi zero, so
shifting the connection to it should do the trick.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Re: Connecting mouse and keyboard on POi Zero

The hub is connected to the data-capable micro-USB socket, certainly not
to the power socket. The hub is powered by a separate power supply.

As I said, whenever the mouse or the keyboard is directly connected to
the data-capable micro-USB socket it works. The problem is that, without
the hub, I cannot connect both.

Jack

Re: Connecting mouse and keyboard on POi Zero

Have you considered getting a keyboard with touchpad to use just to set
things up?

--
-michael - NadaNet 3.1 and AppleCrate II:  http://michaeljmahon.com

Re: Connecting mouse and keyboard on POi Zero
Or a wireless keyboard?

Re: Connecting mouse and keyboard on POi Zero

Run it headless and leave the screen/keyboard/mouse connected to your
your PC. There are plenty of tutorials on the 'net describing how to do
this - depending on your electronics knowledge this may be easier than
trouble-shooting the various items involved.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Re: Connecting mouse and keyboard on POi Zero

The (known good) PSU for the hub is switched on and plugged into all
the correct places it needs to be plugged in isn't it?...

Command lines don't need a mouse...

Mr Fearnley doesn't say if it's Pi Zero or Pi Zero W. The former will
need a USB WiFi dongle or serial to USB console cable, or an ENC28J60
based ethernet board to go headless.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Re: Connecting mouse and keyboard on POi Zero

Mr Fearnley mentioned having a Pi Zero, not a Pi Zero W, so its
reasonable to assume that he has the former.

Searching for "Pi Zero headless" finds articles covering both Pi Zero
variants. Those articles identify the required dongle(s) along with
directions for configuring the combination and making it work.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Re: Connecting mouse and keyboard on POi Zero

Reasonable but wrong...  B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Re: Connecting mouse and keyboard on POi Zero

It's a RPi zero W so, in principle, I could do the whole thing headless
if I knew how :-)

Also, if I was completely fluent in Linux commands I could probably do it
with keyboard alone.

Jack

Re: Connecting mouse and keyboard on POi Zero

will
ENC28J60

With a Pi Zero W and assuming that you have a WiFi access point on
your LAN, just google and pick one of the many sets of instructions.
That'll get you at least command line access.

How you proceed from there depends on what you want to use the Zero
for. I expect you'll also be able to find how to run a WIMP
enviroment over the WiFi link but I've never played with that. All my
Raspberries are headless and command line only (ish one runs Kodi).

--
Cheers
Dave.

Connecting mouse and keyboard on a Pi Zero (W)?
Hello David,

JF>>> The problem is that, without the hub, I cannot connect both.

Yes you can, with a wireless keyboard and mouse, e.g. my Logitech MK220
does work good with my Pi 3B.
It has an USB2 2.4 GHz dongle for both keyboard and mouse (No BT).
The Pi Zero W has both WiFi and Blue Tooth, so that can be used too for human
input devices.

Does someone know a good BT keyboard and mouse combination that works with both
Raspbian Linux and RISC OS with a Pi 3B of even Zero W?

DL> The (known good) PSU for the hub is switched on and plugged into all
DL> the correct places it needs to be plugged in isn't it?...

I tested a 4 port USB2 hub from Digitus slim spider part DA-70216 on a Pi Zero
(without W) from a fried at the computerclub and that worked ok.

DL> Command lines don't need a mouse...

When started in the desktop,
you mostly have to open/start a commandline window first ;-).

Does SSH from an other machine not work?

DL> Mr Fearnley doesn't say if it's Pi Zero or Pi Zero W. The former will
DL> need a USB WiFi dongle or serial to USB console cable, or an ENC28J60
DL> based ethernet board to go headless.

With the same friend in NL I tried my Eminent EM110 USB from/to RJ45 EtherNet
dongle too at his first Raspberry Pi Zero (no W(ay)), and that worked ok,
even in combination with the Digitus slim spider USB2 Hub.
That Eminent EM1010 was one of the first USB2 from/to RJ45 dongles that worked
good on the BeagleBoard and Beagle Board XM, both in Linux and RISC OS.
Hopes this helps to get connected with the Pi Zero, or Zero W.

The low price of the Pi Zero flows away, because of the costs of all the
conversion cables to connect it to the outside world,
i.e. micro HDMI to HDMI, micro USB2 to/from normal USB2A, USB2-RJ45 dongle etc.
And then you still have less memory and less speed compaired to a Pi 3B.

Another friend uses a dedicated Pi 1B with Linux for his sunpanel power meting
and to update that info to a website. If configured well, it can run headless.

Henri.

Re: Connecting mouse and keyboard on a Pi Zero (W)?

"Good" and Bluetooth don't go together.  I bought a Bluetooth mouse just so
I wouldn't need to deal with a dongle.  It sucks just like every other
Bluetooth device I've ever tried to connect to the PC.  When anything on the
computer hits the hard drive the BT mouse will stumble and stutter.  I can
use the same mouse with the dongle and it doesn't do that unless the entire
computer is hosed.

My BT earpiece on my phone works ok.  I've never had any other piece of BT
gear work worth a damn on a PC and that includes three PCs and three OS.

The Logitech dongles are all multi device, keyboard and mouse, so once you
have one Logitech dongle it works for all their devices.  They aren't budget
priced, but they work... until they don't anymore.  I've gone through a
number of Logitech mice and am back with the budget mice because of the
pricing.

That's true of the rPi anyway as the cost of the keyboard, mouse, monitor
and even a decent power supply ends up being significantly pricey compared
to the rPi itself.

The zero doesn't need a microHDMI to HDMI converter, just have a suitable
cable.  Everything I have is micro USB using a standard cable unless it's a
keyboard or mouse.  You can use the zero headless just as well as anything.
I guess costing a PC kinda blows the budget if you want to count that.

What is the RJ-45 for?  You mean an Ethernet USB converter?

You can always develop you app on a regular rPi then use the zero in the end
device.

Rick C

Connecting mouse and keyboard on a Pi Zero.
Hello Rick,

HD>> The low price of the Pi Zero flows away, because of the costs of all the
HD>> conversion cables to connect it to the outside world,
HD>> i.e. micro HDMI to HDMI, micro USB2 to/from normal USB2A,
HD>> USB2-RJ45 dongle etc.
HD>> And then you still have less memory and less speed compaired to a Pi 3B.

RC> That's true of the rPi anyway as the cost of the keyboard, mouse,
RC> monitor and even a decent power supply ends up being significantly pricey
RC> compared to the rPi itself.

Yes, that's true, but that is not what I wanted to tell.
I was comparing the costs of the Pi Zero and conversion cables to the regular
Pi 1B, so to connect the same I/O cables (i.e. HDMI, USB2 and RJ45 EtherNet)
as I would use on a normal Pi. So I can change a Pi 1B for a Zero in one go.
Then I need at least these three conversion cables.

RC> The zero doesn't need a microHDMI to HDMI converter, just have a
RC> suitable cable.

I already have two normal HDMI to HDMI, and two HDMI to DVI-D cables. So for
a Pi Zero I only need a Micro HDMI-male to normal HDMI-Female, you see?
With that short converters I can use the normal cables.
Or should I also buy a micro-HDMi to normal HDMI-male for the Pi Zero?
and a Micro-HDMI to DVI-D one, that's also double ;-(
So one simple short micro HDMI tot HDMI female will do right.
Then I can choose to use the HDMI to HDMI cable, or the HDMI to DVI-D version
incombination with that converter cable.

Of course I also have a normal HDMI to VGA converter for use at VGA monitors
at computerclubs etc. Then I do not need to carry a monitor with me.

RC> Everything I have is micro USB using a standard cable unless it's a
RC> keyboard or mouse. You can use the zero headless just as well as anything.

I know, but I never use computers headless.
Second, I do not have a smarth phone, so no micro usb needed ;-).
The only micro USB I need are for the Pi's, and my Garmin 2595LMT
autoroutenavigator.

RC> I guess costing a PC kinda blows the budget if you want to count that.

Yes, but in reality you have to spend that to get a working combination.

Here people need inland ECDIS on their ships, and I made a solution with a Pi
3B and sell a complete configured microSDcard to them.
Then they want to know what to buy else to get a complete system.
So I made a complete description of the materials needed to get a full stand
alone working ECDIS Pi system. If you count everything, a laptop costs more.

RC> What is the RJ-45 for?  You mean an Ethernet USB converter?

Yes, is a simply Emiment EM1010 USB2 to RJ45 10/100bT EtherNet converter.

RC> You can always develop you app on a regular rPi then use the zero in the
RC> end device.

Yes, I know.
I have 5 Pi's; 2 x 1B, 1B+, 2B and 3B, but no Zero.
The Pi's 1B and 1B+ are running RISC OS, and the 2B and 3B are running Raspbian
and Ubuntu Linux.
On the raspbian version with help I have compiled and installed OpenCPN 4.6.1
with OpenSeaMap and S57 charts for Inland ECDIS as asked by European law.
For the data transfer a FTDI USB2A to RS232c cable is needed between the
Class A inland AIS-transponder and the Pi or laptop computer.
We also find out a cheap 12 or 24 Vdc= to 5 Vdc= converter for powering the Pi
3B. It is silly to first convert the ship's dc to normal power 230 Vac~ 50 Hz,
and then convert that back to +5 Vdc=/2.5 Adc= for the Pi 3B.

Now I am thinking to set up a Pi as a FidoNet mailer as a plan C.
The amount of kilo Watts will dramatically drop, compared to this current
FidoNet node on a 80486 pc with DOS 5 and an analoge V34 POTS modem.
First I have to create (buy or build) an USB HDD, because when used
intensively, a micro SDcard will soon die.
Second I need to know which Linux software I can use?
For RISC OS, I could use !ROSBink and have to find out what other software
package as a tosser, scanner and mail-editor.
I have a good FidoNet Point package !WimpLink that can be combined with
!ROSBink, but I can not use that as a FidoNet Node.
The other disadvantage is, that I then have to move mailpackets between
software programs and also have to do some manual setup of FLO-files etc.
for transferring every day.
So I think the more recent Linux software will be a better choice for
automatically importing and exporting FidoNet messages with less work?
There is much to find out and learn, but my physical energy is very limited.
So it is a slow proces, and other things in real life have higher priorities.

Henri.

Connecting mouse and keyboard on a Pi Zero.
Hello Henri!

21 Jan 18 18:44, you wrote to rickman:

 HD> Now I am thinking to set up a Pi as a FidoNet mailer as a plan C.
 HD> The amount of kilo Watts will dramatically drop, compared to this current
 HD> FidoNet node on a 80486 pc with DOS 5 and an analoge V34 POTS modem.
 HD> First I have to create (buy or build) an USB HDD, because when used
 HD> intensively, a micro SDcard will soon die.

 What is soon?
 I have four RPi's running Fido for some years now. They all use the SDcard
 as storage. The all carry all echo areas my main node offers, wich is far
 more than what you are connected to. All run headless.

 HD> Second I need to know which Linux software I can use?

 Node 2:280/5006  Binkd - fidogate as main node
                  hpt - Golded - as directory coupled point system
                  smapinntpd on the same messagebase

 Point system1    Binkd - hpt - jammnntpd
 Point system2    MBSE
 Point system3    Binkd - hpt - Golded - smapinntpd

 In progress      Binkd in a Docker container - HPT and Golded are next.

 They all run without supervision or manual maintenance.

Kees

Re: Connecting mouse and keyboard on a Pi Zero.

About 6 weeks for an micro SD card or USB memory stick with a Pi
being used as a timelapse camera taking a full HD image every 30
seconds, checking the overall level (no point in storing black images
during the night), adding a time/date caption, generating a thumbnail
and compiling the previous 24 hours into a 2 minute (ish) timelapse
movie every 3 hours. The initial photo produced 2880 1 M byte (ish)
file writes/day, adding the caption another 2000 to 840 depending on
the season. An 8 GB card/stick was pretty full holding about 3 days
of still images, the movies and have enough working space. A single
day would have about 6 or 7 GB of writes done. With not much elbow
room for the wear leveling to work with, unlike a card with a fair
bit of free space.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Connecting mouse and keyboard on a Pi Zero.
Hello Dave!

22 Jan 18 14:16, you wrote to me:

 DL> On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 11:02:20 +1200, Kees van Eeten wrote:

 >>> when used intensively, a micro SDcard will soon die.
 >>
 >>  What is soon?

 DL> About 6 weeks for an micro SD card or USB memory stick with a Pi
 DL> being used as a timelapse camera taking a full HD image every 30

 DL> room for the wear leveling to work with, unlike a card with a fair
 DL> bit of free space.

 O.K. but that is really heavy use. I think I had one SDcard die on me
 with Domoticz running for over a year.

 The fidonet nodes have short activities about ever 10 minits and messages
 are all small and text base. If you use a 32 or 64Gb card, it lasts a long
 time.

Kees

Re: Connecting mouse and keyboard on a Pi Zero.

Ok, but what is the point of this?  When I got an rPi I had to buy two HDMI
cables, one to connect to the rPi and another to adapt to my DVI monitor.
Adapters are a fact of life... or you can buy the right cable in the first
place.

You have cables lying around not being used?  Mine are all connected to
computers.  Instead of buying cables you don't need, you should have bought
cables you can use like one with a micro-HDMI connector.

What's a "normal" cable?  Oh, any cable you already bought that isn't
correct for the application you have now?

Buy the cables you need, when you need them.

Virtually everything I have is micro-USB and the laptop computer is the
*ONLY* type A USB device I have.

I don't know what "working combination" means.  Why can't I use an rPi for
all my computing needs?  I was thinking of that the other day.  It could be
the ultimate Chrome book.  Instead of opening multiple browser windows on on
computer I could open windows on multiple rPis and connect into them via
Ethernet or wifi.  At $35 for a model 3 or $5 for a model zero, I could have
a *lot* of computing power at my finger tips for very little money compared
to a $1000 computer.

Exactly!  A LOT more.

You deleted the context so I don't know what the point was.

Rick C

Re: Connecting mouse and keyboard on a Pi Zero (W)?

Just remember, after burning an SD-card with a fresh Raspbian image but
before ejecting it, to:

1. enable SSH access by creating a file "ssh" (I think "ssh.txt" also
works) on the card. On Windows or macOS, the FAT32 formatted /boot
partition of the card will be the only partition mounted and this is
where you create the file. The other partition is ext4 and normally
unreadable on Win/Mac. So don't create a(nother) "boot" subdirectory.

2. preconfigure access to your 2.4 GHz WPA/WPA2 wifi network by creating
a "wpa_supplicant.conf" file on that same partition, with your network
credentials:

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
country=XY
network={
    ssid="WifiName"
    psk="WifiPassword"
}

The first two lines I simply copied, not sure if they're essential. Use
your actual two-letter country code, like UK or US. You can add more
networks, just add another "network=" configuration; they will be
tried in order of appearance in the file. Instead of the clear-text
password you can also use the 64-char hex number output of
"wpa_passphrase WifiName" (it will ask for the password). When first
booting, the .conf file will be removed from the unsecure /boot
partition and saved in /etc/wpa_supplicant/ with only root access.
(Except, you know, sudo doesn't require a password on standard Raspbian
... so use the wpa_passphrase hash whenever possible.)

Re: Connecting mouse and keyboard on a Pi Zero (W)?

I only run Raspbian "Lite" on my Raspberries so don't use the
desktop. But even so I find it hard to believe that you can't open a
comandline window purely using the keyboard,

What on earth do you want all that for? All you need is an ENC20J60
10BaseT ethernet board (approx GBP5.00) a PSU and a handful of jumper
wires.

True but a zero is 1/10th (ish) the cost

--
Cheers
Dave.

Site Timeline