Tiny 2040 - size of a postage stamp

Impressive:

RP2040 based

264k RAM 8M flash 12 IO pins incl 4x12-bit ADC /Very/ small

According to

"Essentially the Pimoroni Tiny 2040 is a reduced Raspberry Pi Pico and as such all of the tutorials and guides for writing code for the Pico will work with Tiny 2040."

--
James Harris
Reply to

~2.5x the price, though. Is it worth it? I can think of:

  • small
  • reset button
  • usb-c
  • rgb led

- price

- fewer gpio

- no Vref

- no buck-boost converter

- components on the bottom, so castellated pads sorta useless

Reply to
A. Dumas

you missed 8mb v 2 mb flash

-- I went on to test the program in every way I could devise. I strained it to expose its weaknesses. I ran it for high-mass stars and low-mass stars, for stars born exceedingly hot and those born relatively cold. I ran it assuming the superfluid currents beneath the crust to be absent -- not because I wanted to know the answer, but because I had developed an intuitive feel for the answer in this particular case. Finally I got a run in which the computer showed the pulsar's temperature to be less than absolute zero. I had found an error. I chased down the error and fixed it. Now I had improved the program to the point where it would not run at all. -- George Greenstein, "Frozen Star: Of Pulsars, Black Holes and the Fate of Stars"

Reply to
alister

Dana Thu, 25 Feb 2021 17:55:46 GMT, alister napis'o: [snip]

So... now waiting for Pico with 8mb flash. As a extre fresh new feature! V2.0!!!

Reply to
Nikolaj Lazic

Ah yes, that's a big plus.

Reply to
A. Dumas

I could do with something a bit physically smaller that the Pico, so the Tiny looks good, but it needs to be able to handle at least two RC servos so I need a couple of PWN outputs and two other lines for reading switch inputs. So, although at first glance this looks good, I can't see any indication that its still got PWM available on its remaining output lines. The USB connector is fine for talking to a control box so I could care less about RS232 capabilities.

At worst, if the Tiny can't drive the servos and the Pico turns out to be too big, there's always a PICAXE M14 to fall back on, but it wants to be programmed in a rather nasty unsigned integer BASIC when I'd much rather be programming in C.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

There are 16 pwm channels on the rp2040 chip which can be connected to any gpio. I'm sure that's still the same on the Tiny. So you have at least 8 pwm pins, or 11 if you count the rgb led. Not sure if the 4 adc pins can be reconfigured to be digital pwm, but I don't think so.

(The Tiny has one more adc pin than the Pico because it lacks the buck-boost and hence the need to monitor the input voltage. Like (many/all/most?) small mcus, by the way, there is just one adc and the 4 pins are multiplexed.)

Reply to
A. Dumas

Thanks for the correction - I just looked at the pretty picture and, not seeing PWM among all the other coloure blobs, thought it wasn't available.

Does this mean that, if I put 5v on pin 1 I'll see 3.3v on pin 3, but the reverse doesn't happen?

Yeah, I know I should Read The Fine Manual but I've got a few other things (with deadlines attached) on my plate right now.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

That was the impression I got, doing a fairly rapid skim of the data.

--
W J G
Reply to

I presume so, as it'll have to drop the USB 5V to 3.3V anyway.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Close enough Putting poweing the 3v pin will not get you a 5v output form either board.

The pico has a pin - VSYS which is connected to a Buck/boost converter & will accept 2V to 5.5V & regulate it to the required V3.3 (this will be great for battery powered equipment)

The Tiny does not have this pin (or type of regulator) so does not need to use one of the ADC pins to monitor & control it

--
Well, I think Perl should run faster than C.  :-)
		-- Larry Wall in

For those planning to use a Pico or Tiny device as a portable application, it may be useful to take a look at the Ansmann 1307-0002 Li- Ion 18650 Battery. GThe 18650 spec describes a cylindrical cell, 19mm diameter by 70mm long. Its a 3.6V 2600mAh with Micro USB charging socket in the side at the positive end and can supply up to 5000mA. Currently they're selling for around a tenner (P&P + VAT extra.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org