Chromium 74 - tab settings ?

Hello all,

Using chromium 74 (as provided with Buster), where can I find the settings for a new tab?

Especially, I'm looking for the "open link in new tab" and "automatically focus new tab" settings.

Regards, Rudy Wieser

Reply to
R.Wieser

Not exactly what you're looking for, but as a workaround you can press ctrl + left mouse button to open links in a new tab (no focus though).

I don't find those settings either, maybe Google has some interest in forcing links to open inside the same tab. Nevertheless, if you use something like DuckDuckGo you can set it to open links on new tabs. Doesn't solve the generic problem of opening any link this way, but helps.

--
Vasco Costa

AKA gluon. Enthusiastic about computers, motorsport, science,
technology, traveling and TV series. Yes I'm a bit of a geek.
Reply to
Vasco Costa

Vasco,

Thanks for that. That will be a bit easier than right-clicking and selecting "open in new tab". :-) Still less handy than having it as the /default/ action though.

The most annoying though is to have a link opened in a new tab, but not automatically switching to it. Especially when doing some YouTube viewing (where every link is a video that directly starts to play) ...

Regards, Rudy Wieser

Reply to
R.Wieser

That's what the middle mouse button is for.

(Most mice seem to have a middle button these days, usually clicking the scrollwheel.)

Reply to
Roger Bell_West

Roger,

That is what the middle-button does ? Odd, if you ask me. :-p

But thank you. It prompted me to check what the effect actually is. It turns out that neither yours nor Vascos suggestion work exactly as expected.

Holding CTRL while left-clicking causes the YouTube movie to be opened in the same tab, but "closing" the tab causes it to revert to the previous page (not really intuitive).

Holding CTRL while middle-clicking causes the YouTube movie to be opened in a new tab, /and/ switch to it.

So, I've now got /two/ methods to be able to view a YouTube movie and return to my previous selection. :-)

Side question: Do you guys have any idea where these keyboardmouse-button combination effects are described ? Being able to read them for myself still beats having to ask for them (here) ...

Regards, Rudy Wieser

Reply to
R.Wieser

Rudy,

I don't know where to find a comprehensive listing of all these mouse chords, but I was just experimenting all possible permutations now and guess what...

Try shift + middle mouse button. Here it opens the link on a new tab AND crucially it also changes focus to the newly created tab. :-)

--
Vasco Costa

AKA gluon. Enthusiastic about computers, motorsport, science,
technology, traveling and TV series. Yes I'm a bit of a geek.
Reply to
Vasco Costa

Vasco,

You and me both. :-|

My apologies. I see I made two mistakes in my previous post. :-(

1) I /said/ CTRL, while the results I described where gotten using the SHIFT key (just like you). 2) The SHIFT left-click actually opens a whole new window (I didn't notice it popping up on the taskbar).

And thanks for the testing. :-)

By the way: ALT left-clicking on one of to-be-selected movie tiles replays its short introduction - than agan, moving your mouse off, and than on again does the same :-)

Regards, Rudy Wieser

Reply to
R.Wieser

We collaboratively found the solution. It's nice that this still happens in Usenet, a place to which I've returned recently after some time. It was especially refreshing to find a newsgroup about a relatively recent device like the RPi with an active user base. :-)