Chromium crashes opening YouTube

Anybody noticing chromium crashing immediately when opening YouTube?

It started about a day ago. Everything is up-to-date, apart from the trouble with YouTube things seem more-or-less normal. This is on a Pi4, 8GB booting from a mechanical hard disk.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

Am Sat, 13 Nov 2021 23:13:44 -0000 (UTC) schrieb bob prohaska snipped-for-privacy@www.zefox.net>:

Is video acceleration enabled? Do you get any message if you start Chromium in a Terminal?

Reply to
Marco Moock

This seems to be a solution, delete a specific cookie after every use:

A. Dumas

That whole thread is not fun to read. Simon Long f***ed up big time with these fundamental switches on the desktop (KMS, Wayland, GTK+3, Mutter). A few posts down from that link there's a description on how to change back to Openbox which apparently solves some trouble.

Reply to
A. Dumas

Deleting the offending YouTube cookie does the trick; I can at least open the YouTube landing page without a chromium crash.

Reading down in the thread there's a reference to reinstating openbox as the window manager. My Pi4 is an older installation (still Buster) and it is presently using openbox:

window_manager=openbox-lxde-pi

My problems did emerge after doing an incremental upgrade, but a reboot didn't help so it looks like a library change is at least part of the trouble.

It doesn't sound like an upgrade to Buster will do any good, at least not yet. If anybody has more ideas please share them.

Thanks for a most helpful reply!

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska