Chromium: --temp profile or --incognito ?

Hello all,

I'm using Chromium to watch some youtube stuff, but have a bit of a problem:
whenever I "just browse" youtube the "you might like this" main page gets
poissonned with all kinds of crap I've looked at just once, upto the point
that I sometimes rather throw the whole history away (cookies) and start
anew.

But ... I rembered that chromium offers both a "temp profile" as well as an
"incognito" mode that could possibly solve that.   The thing is, I have no
idea what the difference for me would be between the two.  I've done a quick
search, but can't seem to find an explanation (preferrably with pros and
cons of both) for them.

Though perhaps there is another way ?   Can I maybe tell Chromium to use
another profile which stores its own cookies and stuff  (without switching
users in Linux I mean) ?

I could use some advice ...

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: Chromium: --temp profile or --incognito ?

| I'm using Chromium to watch some youtube stuff, but have a bit of a
problem:
| whenever I "just browse" youtube the "you might like this" main page gets
| poissonned with all kinds of crap I've looked at just once, upto the point
| that I sometimes rather throw the whole history away (cookies) and start
| anew.

   Rudy! You show up everywhere. :)

   I'm not sure if this will answer entirely, but I've
come up with a setup I like. I get a Pi4 to pipe video
and do web browsing through the TV. First, I installed
Firefox for Youtube and other online browsing and set
it up with reasonable privacy.

   Chrom[ium] is a monstrosity.
It's such a mess that I can't even have a menu bar.
When I found an extension it produced a faulty menu
bar under the toolbar! Bookmarks? Sure. Go three
levels down in that pinnacle of bad design, the
"hamburger" button.
    The geeks who design this stuff think that no one
should want any "chrome" around the actual browser
window, because it takes up too much space. Then
they turn around and go online with their 4" cellphone
screen!

  Second, I used the utility from this very generous
man to set up Hoopla and Kanopy in Chromium:

https://blog.vpetkov.net/2020/03/30/raspberry-pi-netflix-one-line-easy-install-along-with-hulu-amazon-prime-disney-plus-hbo-spotify-pandora-and-many-others/

   I live with a woman, so I also set up profies for
each of us in Chromium, because we each have an
allotment of free movies on Hoopla and Kanopy. But
I only use Chromium for the movies.

   I haven't tried temp or incognito mode. As I said,
I only run Chromium for the movies. Setting
up different profiles wasn't hard, but I don't remember
the exact steps. I seem to remember looking around
in the profile settings and coming across it. The whole
thing is behind the current user icon on the toolbar.
That's also how you choose a profile. Mozilla products
can be set to choose a profile when they start up.
Chromium just starts with the previous profile. The
trick is to pick very disimilar icons from their idiotic
kiddie icon collection, so that you can easily see at
statrtup which profile you're running. Then to switch
profiles you just click the icon and you get the other
profiles showing on that menu.

Re: Chromium: --temp profile or --incognito ?
Mayayana,

:-)  Only in newsgroups related to programming an electronics I believe.

I bought a Pi to try to restart my electronics hobby, as well as a chance to
get to know Linux.  Alas, both go a bit meh.

They all seem to have become that. :-\    I've tried to use an older version
of FireFox (one that still accepts user-written extensions), but without
hardware video support looking at youtube movies doesn't quite work.

I think I just found what you mean, including the kindergarten profile
icons.  Its certainly worth a try.

I'll see if I'm able to find where it stores that "previous profile"
setting, and use a script to both change it to the one I want and start the
browser afterwards.   That way I could select a profile directly from the
desktop.

Thanks for the info.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: Chromium: --temp profile or --incognito ?
declaimed the following:

    Unfortunately, based on a quick scan of a few files, they are all some
cryptic binary format... Not plain text which can be edited...

    ~/.config/chromium

{Well... "Local State" file looks to be JSON, and so do some deeper down,
but not obvious where in them might be anything identifying the "current
profile"}

--
    Wulfraed                 Dennis Lee Bieber         AF6VN
     snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

Re: Chromium: --temp profile or --incognito ?
Dennis,

Thanks for that.

It does have the word "profile" and "last_active_profiles" in there ... I'll
probably have to experiment with creating a few profiles (a Mayayana
suggested) and see what changes there.   Its a starting point.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: Chromium: --temp profile or --incognito ?

if you're logged-in to any google account in the browser, the watched
history is stored there, rather than in cookies.

Re: Chromium: --temp profile or --incognito ?
Andy,

Than its a good thing that I do not log into Google just to view a few cat
videos, don't you think ?   Now I can simply start with a clean slate just
by deleting that cookie storage. :-)

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

Re: Chromium: --temp profile or --incognito ?

That's your problem, youtube.

Although I don't have much of a problem with google doing what it does,
there is a growing movement of interest in LRBY, https://lbry.tv/

--
Adrian C

Re: Chromium: --temp profile or --incognito ?

| there is a growing movement of interest in LRBY, https://lbry.tv/

  Too bad it's not actually a website. There's
really no webpage there. Just script. It's essentially
asking you to trust them to run a javascript program
in your browser.

Re: Chromium: --temp profile or --incognito ?

Last time I looked at it, there was something objectionable about it,
maybe it didn't have a web interface back then, and you had to buy their
crypto currency to watch stuff, I can't remember now, but it got
uninstalled sharpish.

Re: Chromium: --temp profile or --incognito ?

| Last time I looked at it, there was something objectionable about it,
| maybe it didn't have a web interface back then, and you had to buy their
| crypto currency to watch stuff, I can't remember now, but it got
| uninstalled sharpish.

  The whole thing is odd. The program that's apparently
needed is some 200 MB, with an installer containing irregular
file/folder names and extensions. Some of the files
then contain what looks like script and base64.

  When I tried the link to see the specs I was brought
to yet another broken webpage that's blank without
javascript enabled. The code looks a lot like Wix code
that loads sites from a database. But the true link to
the spec was actually in that code, and on that page
there was a link to a PDF version.

  Reading that I find a collection indexed via blockchain.
(Why?) So people are posting whatever they want to
share. OK. Why do I need a 200 MB program and insecure
script in broken webpages to access it? They seem to
be trying to create an alternate Internet design from
the ground up. And part (most?) of the purpose is to
charge for content? I've never bought video online and
don't expect I will be buying it in the future. It's hard to
imagine what I might want to buy. I watch some things
on youtube, but there's very little that I'd care
about watching if I had to pay or even watch ads.

   But the biggest problem here is the same problem
that's typical of most geek tech: It's not discoverable
without research that few people are even capable of.
It's explained here:

https://spec.lbry.com/lbry-spec.pdf

   But the document is pretty much unreadable. They
made up various terminologies and protocols, then
talk as though the reader knows them. Even the plain
English is not plain English:

" Centralized platforms suffer from several problems because
their incentives are not aligned with the incentives of their
users. Hosts engage in rent-seeking behavior...."

Incentives? Rent-seeking behavior? What that gobbledygook
is trying to say is simply that Youtube wants a cut of your
profits and "that's a bummer".

Re: Chromium: --temp profile or --incognito ?

Well, that's enough to convince me never to go there, thanks both :)

Alternative more mainstream video site: https://www.dailymotion.com
(used to be .fr) although it's probably exactly the same as youtube and
others wrt. user profiling.

Site Timeline