chromium - how to add existing adblocker to "Profile 1" ?

Hello all,
I've used a Noobs installation in which chromium comes with an adblocker
pre-installed in the default profile. The thing is that I've just created a
second profile ("profile 1"), and see that it doesn't have the adblocker.
How do I activate the already existing adblocker from the default profile
into this, the second one ?
Regards,
Rudy Wieser
Reply to
R.Wieser
On Sat, 18 Sep 2021 17:57:26 +0200, "R.Wieser" declaimed the following:
How old is that installation? The R-Pi foundation discontinued the NOOBS package some time back -- it was replaced by the "Raspberry Pi Imager"
Imager runs on desktop computers and is used to select from the available OS images, and writes just that image to the SD card. This is different from NOOBS, which ran /on/ the R-Pi and installed OS images somewhat "live". Most of the more obscure images have to be obtained separately, and Imager will then write them to the card.
Things like ad blockers are commonly third party plug-ins and are installed on a per-user (or perhaps profile if using multiple profiles with one user login) basis.
If it doesn't show up under Settings/Extensions you will probably have to use the "search" bar to locate the particular blocker in use. Using VNC to my small web-server R-Pi [I don't have a desktop running on the regular experiment R-Pi, just SSH] I see that its Chromium browser appears to have "uBlock Origins" installed. Note that searching for extensions likely means you will need a full Internet access from the R-Pi.
I don't think you're just going to be able to copy it from one profile to another -- they seem to be saved in randomly generated directory names (which are probably linked via some database to the extension)... cf:
md_admin@microdiversity:~/.config/chromium/Default/Extensions$ ls -l total 12 drwx------ 3 md_admin md_admin 4096 Oct 14 2020 aleakchihdccplidncghkekgioiakgal drwx------ 4 md_admin md_admin 4096 Sep 18 12:38 cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm drwx------ 3 md_admin md_admin 4096 Sep 18 12:38 pkedcjkdefgpdelpbcmbmeomcjbeemfm
I believe Default is the profile name.
	wlfraed@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/
Reply to
Dennis Lee Bieber
Dennis,
Well ... what would happen when that database is also copied to the new profile ?
I could just copy the "Default" profile folder to "Profile 1", throw the "cookies.txt" file out and see if that will work. But if someone has already done something like that I would be a fool not to try to make use of what they have already found out. Hence me asking. :-)
Regards, Rudy Wieser
Reply to
R.Wieser
On Sat, 18 Sep 2021 19:39:34 +0200, "R.Wieser" declaimed the following:
The database I hypothesized would be at a higher level. It would maybe have things like
profile-name extension-name extension-directory-name extension2-name ... profile2-name ... ...
There are SQLite databases stuffed throughout... (16 in "Default" alone).
OTOH, the only higher level one appears to be something for cookies. Chromium may use the profile name directly.
But since one normally uses profiles to separate browsing interests, and with 16 SQLite3 databases in a profile, unless you are prepared to install an SQLite3 command line or GUI tool, and peruse the table contents of each of the 16 to sanitize them (and that may require figuring out how stuff is linked between tables), it is probably better to just install a fresh ad blocker using the profile itself.
	wlfraed@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/
Reply to
Dennis Lee Bieber
Dennis,
That is why I asked if anyone had any kind of knowledge about it. :-)
??? I suggested to just copy, next to the folder containing the extensions, the database containing the information to those extensions. All other databases would be the fresh ones created for the new profile.
Not as far as I'm concerned, as I would than have two profiles with different adblockers. :-(
Regards, Rudy Wieser
Reply to
R.Wieser
Dana Sat, 18 Sep 2021 21:16:15 +0200, R.Wieser napis'o:
Do not copy foler... mak a simbolic link to parts you need.
Reply to
Nikolaj Lazic
Nikolaj,
:-) Just this morning I remembered that Linux has got symbolic links, and that I could do something with that.
A question though: How do I (tell PCManFM to), when copying a folder, symbolic link all files in them ?
Mind you, the next step is to delete some files in there (cookies.txt, bookmarks.txt, others? ) so that the involved profiles can be(come) different - meaning I can't just symbolic link the folder(s).
Regards, Rudy Wieser
Reply to
R.Wieser
Thus ensuring that any changes to one profile will be instantly unavoidable in the other.
I wouldn't. See above.
You cant. Not using a simple command.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
Only if you link the whole folder. He can link only parts he needs. Other files/folders can be standard and unique to this folder.
start some terminal... go to your new_foler with cd somethin...
ln -s ../old_folder/* .
and go from here... remove files you need fresh... or remove these and than make a copy from your previous folder. This can be done using mc (midnight commander).
Use command line. Fastest and easiest way.
Reply to
Nikolaj Lazic
Nikolaj,
Thanks. That looks simple enough. :-)
Any particular reason to use MC and not the build-in PCManFM ?
By the way: I already tried to copy-paste the "Default" folder to "Profile 1" using PCManFM (after first having renamed the origional "Profile 1" folder ofcourse), and it seems to work as intended (YouTube thinks I'm a new user and wants me to provide new privacy settings).
Regards, Rudy Wieser
Reply to
R.Wieser
On Sun, 19 Sep 2021 09:18:39 -0000 (UTC), Nikolaj Lazic declaimed the following:
To me, that is the question. The OP is talking about /just/ the cookies... But there are SQLite databases for saved logins, and other items (history of visited sites, etc.).
And just deleting those may not be sufficient -- if they are created as part of "installing" a plug-in/extension, the lack when attempting to run may cause the plug-in to fail.
	wlfraed@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/
Reply to
Dennis Lee Bieber
Dana Sun, 19 Sep 2021 14:14:32 +0200, R.Wieser napis'o:
No. :) It works in terminal. :) And you can type in command as in command line (shell). That way you can see what is happeining in your foler and type in command or use the ones in the menues.
And looks like Norton Commander. :) Yeah... I'm old enough to remember Norton commander. :)
Maybe some setting also records the folder name. Try grepping... Go inti the folder and in sht shell: grep "Profile 1" *
you will get all the files containing "Profile 1" You can also use mc (midnigh commander)... Find file... and enter the text you are looking for.
Reply to
Nikolaj Lazic
Dana Sun, 19 Sep 2021 09:04:57 -0400, Dennis Lee Bieber napis'o:
He would have to see what he needs. I guess some files could have some kind of setting with the "original" path in it. These should be also changed. Yeah... alot of work... but pulgins could work as intended. They have their own folder.
Reply to
Nikolaj Lazic
Dennis,
Thats correct. And I mentioned just those for a reason.
Could you imagine a situation in which having just one set of data for each of the ones you mentioned could be a good thing ? I can. :-)
And yes, I did let the above pass my mind when I got the suggestion to just symlink most all of the involved files.
Better yet, I could /choose/ which ones I would keep shared and which ones I would want to have seperate. But yes, I would than need to figure out which configuration files/databases would be inter-dependant and only share/seperate them in such inter-depandant groups.
:-) Which why I posted my question : what would I need to do to get it to work.
I expected that (many?) other people would have run into the same problem and have figured something out. Maybe those will still reply in the days to come ...
By the way :
I've started with trying if a full copy duplicate of a profile folder would work, as that would be the simpelest thing to do/check. Currently it looks to be working.
I also considered to just have/use multiple cookie files in the "Default" profile, and just "switch over" by, just before starting the browser, deleting the old "cookie.txt" symlink and than symlinking that name to one of a series of other cookie files. IOW, some pseudo profile switching.
That I did not start with that is because I consider it to be a hack and a full profile copy is even simpler. :-)
Regards, Rudy Wieser
Reply to
R.Wieser
Nikolaj,
Ok, thanks. Just wondered if it would do something special.
I still have-and-use Norton Editor (DOS version) on my Windows 'puters. :-)
Nope, thats not it. YouTube saves some kind of a User-ID in a cookie. And that "YouTube thinks I'm a new user" is exactly what I wanted to happen - two seperate YouTube profiles. :-)
Regards, Rudy Wieser
Reply to
R.Wieser
On Sun, 19 Sep 2021 20:37:26 +0200, "R.Wieser" declaimed the following:
My suspicion is that most of those wanting separate profiles want COMPLETE isolation, and would install plug-ins as desired per profile -- letting the profile populate its database as the user accesses web sites.
	wlfraed@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/
Reply to
Dennis Lee Bieber
Many, including myself, have had the same problem. My approach is, and has always been, to install the browsers I use on each system I need them on. Then I start the web browser(s) in each user on each computer I need to run them from and use their settings and preferences menus to configure them the same as on other computers and add/enable the extensions and plugins I use for other systems and logins. This is fast enough (my memory is good enough, and this is necessary seldom enough) that I've never found it necessary to automate the process.
FWIW, I know nothing about Chrome: I don't and won't use it (the only Google software I knowingly use is Google Earth - which they bought rather than wrote.
My main browser these days is Brave, which has a lot of the add-blockers etc. already built in. Apart from this, I have Firefox and Lynx installed on all systems except RPis, which only have Lynx.
Since the process of installing a new browser is so seldom done I see no need to spend time automating the process, but of course YMMV and I. for one would be fascinated to know why you find browser installation worthy of spending time to automate the process.
Martin    | martin at
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Martin Gregorie
Dennis,
:-) That is what my initial question aimed for : a new profile with a *copy* of the adblock plugin. Complete isolation.
Only later on I realized that there where other possibilities to explore, which I than mentioned. As thats the kind of person I am I'm afraid. I like to have multiple possibilities, after which I than choose which one I think I can use best.
By the way : This morning, as a quick check to see if a profile has got absolute paths stored (to its own, profile related files) I renamed the "Default" profile to something else and started the "Profile 1" one - which contains a copy of the "Default" profile/folder
If such fixed paths would be there (supposedly still pointing to the "Default" profile) the browser would either error-out, or would recreate the invoved files (into an also recreated "Default" folder).
Neither happened.
Ofcourse this check was not at al exhaustive, but it does seem to be an indication that profile paths are relative to that profile.
Regards, Rudy Wieser
Reply to
R.Wieser
Martin,
Nope, your problem is different. :-)
In my case its about creating a second browser profile *for the same user*.
Also, my starting point is a Noobs installation, with the browser and adblocker being part of that installation. IOW, I do not have install files for either the browser or the adblocker.
I wish I had that choice. I tried to replace it with FireFox, but for some reason it was not even able to run a 720p YouTube movie on any acceptable speed (/lots/ of stutter). :-\
It has got zero to do with automation.
The only thing I wanted to accomplish is to keep YouTubes "looking at what you viewed previously you might find this interresting" suggestions list clean. I might have viewed a rather limited group of clips for ages, but one or two views of anything else causes the suggestions to go fully outof whack. Not funny.
So, I decided I need two profiles : one to view that rather limited group of clips on, and another to rummage thru what YouTube otherwise has to offer.
Regards, Rudy Wieser
Reply to
R.Wieser
On Mon, 20 Sep 2021 10:01:02 +0200, "R.Wieser" declaimed the following:
And that may be attributable to the R-Pi foundation having pre-configured Chromium with a YouTube specific extension
chrome://extensions/
""" h264ify
Makes YouTube stream H.264 videos instead of VP8/VP9 videos """ sitting right next to ad blocker extension
""" uBlock Origin
Finally, an efficient blocker. Easy on CPU and memory. """