choice of the most fit Raspberry version

I was more trying to indicate that wifi reception is not just location sensitive but time sensitive, what works today may not work tomorrow

Josef Stalin
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Fri, 10 Sep 2021 14:47:28 +0200

Time for a new RFC - IP over Bongo Drums, should be easier than rfc 1149 (which has actually been implemented, ping time was rather long).

-- Steve O'Hara-Smith | Directable Mirror Arrays C:\>WIN | A better way to focus the sun The computer obeys and wins. | licences available see You lose and Bill collects. |

Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Does 1-wire work over l "Network Description The scope of this document is limited to 1-Wire networks that use Category 5e, twisted-pair copper wire and have 5V bus power supplied by the master."

which is a much better standard of cable than the OP has installed.

If you have twisted pair then 1-wire is one of plenty of options.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Isn't that only relevant to higher frequency signals? Getting to the right level (and not taking too long to sample/answer) is all it takes for 1-wire I think.

Reply to
A. Dumas

Not sure that was me, but i'll take the credit :-)

well I think at 16.7kbps twisted or not twisted won't make much difference.

That's high audio and ultrasonic and experience suggests that hum pickup will dominate. I reckon it should be OK - but the thing is that the transducers are uber cheap and its very easy to just try it out at no huge expenbse

I wouldn't think it will make a huge difference twisted or not - twisted reduces noise from adjacent cables in a bundle, but here there are no adjacent cables

let them."
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It is a reasonably high frequency 16.7kbps serial. 5V peak to peak. I think it has a good chance of working quite well

--
It?s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.
Mark Twain

Well I posted that link actually, and since also referred the OP to this document describing usage of three cable types:

(page 10) Suggest CAT5 cabling for distances over 100ft.

I think that's probably conservative though, the only issue potentially being electrical noise from the motors. But I'm just repeating myself now so I think I'll leave this thread until the OP actually decides to try something.

--

Should be fine, I've used 1-wire ds18b20 sensors from a Raspberry Pi out to 20 meters using 3 cores of flat 4 core wiring for LED light strips, and out to about 40 meters using some old 0.75mm2 3-core mains flex.

---druck

Reply to
druck