Raspberry Pi 2, Camera Shy

It seems some camera flashes can cause Raspberry Pi 2 to crash. Just an interesting effect.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

More likely to be emc /rf emissions from the Xenon striking ?

TTman

On a sunny day (Fri, 13 Feb 2015 19:35:06 -0600) it happened amdx wrote in :

Interesting, my raspis are in a box, black or blue. This could affect other electronics using the same package type... I will try the laser pointer when I get around to it.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Striking what? The other node?

More likely an EM pulse from the output side of the flash pulse discharge circuit.

Or EM from the plasma itself.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

That's what I meant...

TTman

Apparently, there is an on board voltage converter (or regulator?) (U16) without molded case on the Raspberry Pi 2. The bright light apparently causes enough photoelectric effects to crash the processor due to wrong supply voltages during the exposure.

It is not EMC, because a sheet of cardboard between flash and Raspberry PI prevents the crash.

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Bahner

On a sunny day (Sat, 14 Feb 2015 21:15:06 +0100) it happened Klaus Bahner wrote in :

I have several Raspberry Pi model B I do not see any of that component, the regulators are marked as REG1, REG2, REG3. No white thing on front or back of board. I am soooo happy :-) Some time ago I ordered (was difficult to get) some more Raspi model B, as the new connector (on the latest model) is one long inline thing and the old one 2 lines of of pins. best way to piss of people who build interfaces like me. So, seems not the only thing they screwed up on. It is over the top!

I do not understand their numbering either, but this is the second time they changed the GPIO connector, the first time they put other signals on the pins.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

To be perfectly fair, cardboard is a cheap and fairly effective EMC shield in the 100THz+ range. :)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation