Simple matrix of Raspberry Pi components?

While searching for other info I was reminded about Raspberry Pi. Problem is that

over does glitz. I need a text based matrix of cards vs features. [Pointer either to appropriate page of or a U.S. vendor would be fine] All relevant specs seem to be available as PDF. Just need to know which one I want.

My proposed system would be composed of: Least power hungry board with headers and one USB port installed. One touchscreen display. One battery. One case to hold it all.

Any pointers? TIA

Reply to
Richard Owlett

On a sunny day (Fri, 14 Feb 2020 09:57:28 -0600) it happened Richard Owlett wrote in :

Well all raspis and their specs are listed on wikipedia:

Not all are still available, The old models B I have use very little power... I have still seen those for sale.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

There's a 7" touch screen available with a plastic case that contains both the RPi and screen while giving access to the ethernet and USB sockets. It will fit models 2, 3 and 4, but you may not want to put a model 4 in it for cooling reasons.

This package needs only a PSU, keyboard and mouse to operate as a stand- alone computer, though there is no room to add expansion cards or 'hats' to the RPi.

Alternatively, there are cases that would hold just the RPi - add a PSU and an ethernet connection to a PC and you have access to the RPi over an SSH connection. If the PC is running Linux. nothing more is needed. If its running Windows, you'll probably want to add PuTTY or a similar package to your Windows box so you can run the RPi as a headless system that you can login to from the PC and/or transfer files.

You can do the same with a WiFi dongle too.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

I do not SEE that :<

It does not _appear_ to tell me how many CPU modules exist.

We have a communication problem ;{

THANKS for trying

Reply to
Richard Owlett

Documented WHERE?

Documented WHERE?

Documented WHERE?

Reply to
Richard Owlett

What is wrong w/ the contents of this row:

--
Mike Easter
Reply to

Although I would have thought you could pick up a similar non-RPi Linux tablet cheaper.

I'm not sure why someone would want to use a RPi to construct what effectively appears to be a tablet so please ignore me if I have missed the point.

Reply to
Pancho

Retail sources, e.g. Rapid Electronics -

and other places that sell RPis.

Or visit

Its difficult to say more without knowing where you are, so what RPi sources are near you or what hardware / IT / programming experience you have.

If you like WiFi, buy the dongle from your favourite store, stuff it in one of the RPi's USB ports, configure it. I don't use WiFi myself, so that all I know about it. Pi Zeros (and the Pi 4?) have a built-in WiFi link.

I use an Ethernet cable to connect the RPi to the nearest Ethernet switch on my local LAN, so choose which way to go.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

The Raspberry Pi Zero W and Zero WH have built-in WiFi, the plain Pi Zero has no onboard networking. The Pi 3 and Pi 4 have built-in WiFi.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Demanding little snowflake aren't you?

Is your real name Violent Elizabeth Bott?

--
"And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch".

Gospel of St. Mathew 15:14
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On a sunny day (Fri, 14 Feb 2020 12:49:35 -0600) it happened Richard Owlett wrote in :

So, I wanted to reply to yur comminukation problems the way some philosophers did, but anyways, this morning I was still wondering what you meant by 'grid'.

Then it came to me: ball-grid [1] well what you were likely trying to commie-nukate was 'circuit diagram' one that shows the connections of the processor / whatever to the GPIO.

Now that is not needed for development, but you do then need to understand the functions of the CHIP, and for that there are many data sheets etc, example code, libraries in various languages, Now than I thought what programming language does that Mr Richard speak? write? Read? etc etc?

My guess is : none (apart from BASIC perhaps)

Because you Mr Richard say": I want ... LCD touch blah blah for that??? I need ??grid??.

I have good news for you Mr Richard!!! there is such a thing as GOOGLE (or BING, not taking sides) you for example can, after finding a suitable raspi board using the wikipedia link I gave, ask such a search engine RASPBERRI PI model X GPIO pinout then look for a library for your LCD (same problem, LCD driver chips, interface types you want that GRID too? So, as you have a Commie-nukation problem you are like;y to get stuck I cannot help you with GPIO, but I've dunnit it several times me myself (interface GPIO to 'things' so you could (IF you know the C programming language) and some basic _electronics_ look at my website for howitisdone. There is always a learning curve with everything, ;-) Indeed else as other wise men have suggested here, buy a flip phone or whatever you have these days, androids ... stay clear of apple those have been hacked by the FBI maybe the latest foldable Galaxy tab tab and . OK

[1] ball grid aray

No thanks need a good laugh every now and then.

Richard, you would not be related to that Richard in sci.crypt in some way? It would explain your 'grid'

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I think he means a 'table' of 'columns' and 'rows'

-- ?I know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most obvious truth if it be such as would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions which they have delighted in explaining to colleagues, which they have proudly taught to others, and which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabric of their lives.?

? Leo Tolstoy

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On a sunny day (Sat, 15 Feb 2020 07:51:54 +0000) it happened The Natural Philosopher wrote in :

Yes, was my first impression, the wikipedia articles gives that, but that was not what he wanted? Maybe how to connect a touch LCD to the big chip wiring?

A galaxy tab solves it all :-)

Jan Panteltje

That's a better page than I expect from Wikipedia. Thanks.

Reply to
Richard Owlett

Cortex-A53 900

Surfing while asleep. Yesterday was "one of those days" ;{ Sorry and thank you.

Reply to
Richard Owlett

Yes. As I said elsewhere yesterday was not a good day ;/

Reply to
Richard Owlett

Some would identify what I end up with as a tablet. I'm thinking more of a PDA from days gone by. One of the reasons to investigate a Raspberry Pi solution is to *AVOID* Android. {I get much grief over that opinion ;}

Reply to
Richard Owlett

I had problems with that site this morning. In any case I would be looking for a U.S. vendor

is MUCH better!

Continental U.S.

Minimal Comp Sci courses but a user since being an E.E. student in early

60's.
Reply to
Richard Owlett

Commendable.

-- "Corbyn talks about equality, justice, opportunity, health care, peace, community, compassion, investment, security, housing...." "What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Back to basics time:

What do you want to use an RPi for?

-----

This has a bearing on which one to buy and what you need to attach to it. If you want to use it as a controller, e.g. build your own drone autopilot or to manage cameras in a birdbox, a Pi Zero model 2 would do the job and you'd connect it to a PC while writing or installing the programs needed for the job.

OTOH, you may want a cheaper, lower powered laptop, in which case you'd want at least a Pi 3B and some sort of integrated kayboard + touch screen like these:

Other people attach a good-quality DAC, connect its audio output to a good stereo system and install something like the Logitech Media Server on the Pi, fit a good-sized SDS card or SSD and use it as their music source.

I am a software developer, have used Linux for over 20 years and design and write applications, mainly in C and Java, and have a couple of personal projects in mind:

1) use a Pi 2 with a touch screen and a GPS receiver fitted, run Lk8000 on it, and use this as the main navigation system in my glider. I'm a cross-country glider pilot when weather permits.

2) Use a Pi Zero as the control box for a multifunction timer built round a PICAXE M8 microchip. The timer would drive servos to control scale and/or competition free flight model aircraft. I also build and fly these.

So, what do *you* want use an RPi for and what is your computing background, if any?

Knowing this sort of stuff stuff will help us give you more useful advice.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org