Should there be further models of the Raspberry Pi?

Anyone remember Inmos? The point about them that I am thinking of is they
came out with some CPUs which were groundbreaking both in terms of design
and of performance ... but eventually failed as a company. Their CPUs were
overtaken. They tried to come up with a radically faster machine but had
trouble with it. It might have been better it they had come up with a number
of evolutionary revisions rather than going for something so much better in
one go.

So, for their own sake should the Raspberry Pi Foundation have a programme
of evolutionary model upgrades? Of course, that would raise compatibility
issues but to an extent they have already released a small set of model
variants and people cope. Or should they have a broader range of models?
Maybe they are already working on further revisions. Anyone know?

I suppose I should ask if there is anything worth improving on the Pi? I
suppose the CPU could be faster but that might require active cooling hence
would not necessarily be a good idea. So ideas for improvements would need
to be practical.

James

Should there be further models of the Raspberry Pi?
Recall that one of the important aspects of the Pi is *cheap* so that it ca
n be bought by kids from their pocket money, or in large numbers by schools
, or just because it tickles your interest.  When faster models of ARM are
cheap enough I bet you'll see new versions of Pi using them.

If you want a faster ARM powered linux machine there are *lots* of them ava
ilable; they're just more expensive and often not provided with the GPIO fa
cilities that make for so much Pi fun.

Re: Should there be further models of the Raspberry Pi?

You mean like the $45 Beagle Bone Black (BBB) that has *much* more I/O
capabilities?

The Pi seems to have reached a critical mass promoted by the publicity
from its low price which has resulted in the huge volumes needed to
reach a low selling price.  It's actually pretty amazing if you think
about it.

--

Rick

Re: Should there be further models of the Raspberry Pi?
I am sure many will never actually be used to do anything useful at all.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc?-ra-cy) ? a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Re: Should there be further models of the Raspberry Pi?

That is always true of any low cost device.  I have any number of "free"
or nearly free eval boards laying around I've never found the time to
use for a project.

The only thing that has put me off the rPi is my lack of experience with
Linux.  Otherwise I'd likely have a few of them scattered around doing
little tasks.  Do they still sell the non-Ethernet version for $25 or
was the lowest model always $35?

--

Rick

Re: Should there be further models of the Raspberry Pi?

Newark.com, 56W4050 Raspberry Pi Model A 256MB, $25.00, 4856 in stock

Other operating systems are available (other than Linux) - you may just be
equivalently unfamiliar with them!

Theo

Re: Should there be further models of the Raspberry Pi?
On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 20:31:53 -0400

RiscOS is available free for R-Pi if you think you might want an
alternative to the various Linux-based offerings.

Re: Should there be further models of the Raspberry Pi?

 " if you think you might want an alternative to the various
Linux-based offerings." is not a phrase I'd have expected to see in a
"Geek/Nerd" techy newsgroup (at least it's not one you'd see every
day)... ;-)

 Of course, this being a RPi NG, you could hardly have used the more
common phrase, " if you think you might want an alternative to the
various MS Windows-based offerings." (context is everything).
--
Regards, J B Good

Re: Should there be further models of the Raspberry Pi?

Only if it's to give more processing grunt or memory to the same
basic form. Look at Arduino a myriad of confusing models, add-ons,
shields etc.

But TBH for the vast majority of uses the current Pi has enough grunt
and memory. The key factor is price, it is a very powerful machine
for very little money. It's not *that* long ago that the best part of
five times the current Pi price (taking into account inflation)
bought you a kit with a 3.25 MHz Z80 CPU and 1 kB of memory, the Pi
of it's day to some extent.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Re: Should there be further models of the Raspberry Pi?
On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 08:52:48 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"

I'd also like one with integrated VGA output so I can use any monitor
without having to buy adaptors.

Except the purpose it was originally designed for ;-)

That's ancient history ;-)
--
(\__/)  M.
Re: Should there be further models of the Raspberry Pi?

Buy a new monitor.  A monitor with DVI can be used with a DVI-HDMI
cable (just a cheap cable with different connectors at each end).

Not worth it to make a new design with VGA.  VGA is so last century.

Re: Should there be further models of the Raspberry Pi?

Not very cost effective when I have several monitors with VGA inputs
spare.

It is ubiquitous.
--
(\__/)  M.
Re: Should there be further models of the Raspberry Pi?

What do you think it will cost to add VGA to a digital video design?
D/A chip, several analog filtering components, connector.

Well, when you want to use old gear pair it with old gear.
There are more than enough small PC motherboards with onboard VGA.

Re: Should there be further models of the Raspberry Pi?

A lot less than buying a new monitor.

But we are talking about the RPi.
--
(\__/)  M.
Re: Should there be further models of the Raspberry Pi?

<snip>

I agree. The hope was to get RPi's into schools. If they can use the
monitors, mice and keyboards of existing computers it might happen. If
they need new monitors, it won't. Most school monitors I've seen are
VGA only.

<snip>

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
snipped-for-privacy@adamshome.org.uk
The old PCs can run telnet, and log into the PI!

Isnt that the point? if you have a school network, plug the pi into it
and get hacking.

Heck I think to days ethernet is auto sensing enough that you could plug
a standalone PC via an ethernet patch into it .

Pis will not REPLACE PC's.  Theyoffer a different experience and should
co-operate with them.

Lets face it, where are you going to get a multi-user linux computer on
your network for less than a pi?

It could run mysql databse, apache, php and be a full functioning LAMP
web server, all for 30 quid!!!

And those are valuable skills all.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc?-ra-cy) ? a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Re: Should there be further models of the Raspberry Pi?
On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 14:46:39 +0100

Absolutely - all it takes to get a Pi up and running is a USB cable and
an Ethernet cable, plus your existing PC-type setup.  (And a card reader
if you don't have a prepared SD card.)

Re: Should there be further models of the Raspberry Pi?
says...

A bit pointles more than 99% of the kids and over 90% of the staff
have next to no idea about command line, let alone telnet, SSH or
X serving.

Mention anything command line or telnet to most kids and their eyes
glaze over :)

Re: Should there be further models of the Raspberry Pi?

Agreed. Now that the RPi is well established at its price point I wonder if
they could release a model with VGA output even if it costs a little extra.

James

Re: Should there be further models of the Raspberry Pi?

Ok.  Even the 15" LCD monitors that we discarded a year ago and that the
local school did not want, did have DVI.  Maybe you still use CRT's?

Site Timeline