choice of the most fit Raspberry version

... and a draw-string to pull the newfangled cable/fibre/etc. that you

*now* discover you need despite all the above ;)
Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk  |    http://www.signal11.org.uk
Reply to
Mike

Potentially, depending on the "serial interface". But rather than stuffing around with lots of Arduinos, just use the 1-wire temperature sensors that I suggested earlier, where most of the design work has already been done for you, including the serial interface.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Il 08/09/21 21:29, Dennis Lee Bieber ha scritto:

yes power cable (3 poles) has its "corrugated pipe" and the two (8 poles each) data signal has another. I have no idea whether or not they are close or separated withing the trench, even if I tried to fasten them with nylon straps separated by the two plastic WATER pipes ...

I have to understand better the solution of 1-Wire sensors, which seems very suitable. And I must assess which kind of T sensor exist (I need some immersed in water, some in contact with pipes or metal surfaces)

--
1) Resistere, resistere, resistere.
2) Se tutti pagano le tasse, le tasse le pagano tutti

sounds perfect. But these 1-wire probes, need their own kind of cables, or can run smoothly on my cables ?

--
1) Resistere, resistere, resistere.
2) Se tutti pagano le tasse, le tasse le pagano tutti
Soviet_Mario - (aka Gatto_Vizzato)
Reply to
Soviet_Mario

On Thu, 9 Sep 2021 03:05:37 +0200, Soviet_Mario declaimed the following:

Pure contact types (ignoring cable matters) should not be a concern. Bare chip types, OTOH, may not be compatible with immersion -- they are more ambient air systems (HVAC thermostats, etc.).

Immersion types tend to have a stainless steel "probe" with a length of wiring.

For all types, you need to consider the temperature range the sensor can handle.

Some "1-wire" device still need a ground and +V supply line -- the "1-wire" applies to the commanding and return signal being on a shared data line. The protocol to command, and receive values, may need to be bit-banged -- the SBC may not have the protocol as an "inherent" feature.

Review:

	wlfraed@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/
Reply to
Dennis Lee Bieber

The Maxim doc, and also this guide:

(page 10) Suggest CAT5 cabling for distance over 100ft, but I'd be inclined to try it with your cable and see - a sensor won't cost much and software just involves running the commands in the tutorial that I linked to earlier. Those specs are pretty general and probably conservative.

One thing that might be important is whether the wires run near motors and their power cables, or other electronics for that matter. Then they're more likely to pick up electrical noise.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

+1
--
?it should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They will run on anything that has more than 1 wire!

The only variable is how long the cable can be before errors become unacceptable

--
?it should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and
the state, and about the manipulation of people under the guise of a
'noble' idea. It is not an honest pursuit of 'sustainable development,'
a matter of elementary environmental protection, or a search for
rational mechanisms designed to achieve a healthy environment. Yet
things do occur that make you shake your head and remind yourself that
you live neither in Joseph Stalin?s Communist era, nor in the Orwellian
utopia of 1984.?

Vaclav Klaus
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

First rule of drawing cables: Always include a new drawstring to replace the one you just pulled the cables with.

--
W J G
Reply to

Il 09/09/21 08:51, Folderol ha scritto:

actually I drew strings, but I'm almost certain that friction would prevent pulling other cables while holding the existing still. The corrugated pipe is rather small and just contains two cables. :\ Now I will read the Onion related documentation from Mr Bieber ...

--
1) Resistere, resistere, resistere.
2) Se tutti pagano le tasse, le tasse le pagano tutti
Soviet_Mario - (aka Gatto_Vizzato)
Reply to
Soviet_Mario

no motors nor electroducts. As to the power cables, i inserted them in another corrugated pipe, but yes, this latter runs in the same trench. They might be then just a 10 cm apart (separated by sand and other corrugated pipes for water flow)

tnx

--
1) Resistere, resistere, resistere.
2) Se tutti pagano le tasse, le tasse le pagano tutti
Soviet_Mario - (aka Gatto_Vizzato)
Reply to
Soviet_Mario

one sensor, the farthest, will be roughly 34 m apart, the second farther will stand at 28 m distant. All other sensors will fall in the 1-6 m range.

--
1) Resistere, resistere, resistere.
2) Se tutti pagano le tasse, le tasse le pagano tutti
Soviet_Mario - (aka Gatto_Vizzato)
Reply to
Soviet_Mario

Perhaps the easiest would be

  • a couple of ESP8266 to read sensor values at the location of the sensors
  • push sensor data via JSONRPC2 (http(s) POST) to the RPI
  • post process data as it arrives in the RPI

This I do for monitor air quality in our bedroom (Wife cold - me wants window open)

the ESP8266 can be coded/treated as an arduino + one part to connect to wifi.

and the distance you are mentioning should do it.

It then come down to how often yoe need new data. is it in ms or s or 10s range? if the latter this will do fine.

And you could connect/push data/disconnect every time in the ESP if you think you will lose the wifi connection sometimes

this way - no wires in the ground

Reply to
Björn Lundin

even 1 datum per minute would be more than enough. All the component have quite high thermal inertia (tens of liters water in the circuit plus another 10 L in the pressure equalizer, 5000+380 in the storage buffers).

No need for a fast pace.

But regarding the WiFi transmission, I fear one problem : the transmitter and the receiver do not directly "see" each other in a straight line. There are trees, and the house building is oriented in a way that shadows the solar panels frame from being seen from the site where the "brain" would operate. And the house walls are 70 cm stone. Should I assume some reflections would be enough for the signal to be able to reach the Raspberry ?

--
1) Resistere, resistere, resistere.
2) Se tutti pagano le tasse, le tasse le pagano tutti
Soviet_Mario - (aka Gatto_Vizzato)
Reply to
Soviet_Mario

Den 2021-09-10 kl. 03:30, skrev Soviet_Mario:

You should

1) bring out a laptop and test wifi from that location 2) buy and ESP8266 and test - they are cheap 3) be prepared to move the router - or have two - the second on placed in a better spot

That might be tricky - externa antenna? Second router outdoor? (waterproofed)

Better test than assume

My setup pushes data once/minute - which is way too much but was easy to do.

Reply to
Björn Lundin

On Fri, 10 Sep 2021 09:49:54 +0200

o.

All this is vast over complication. The O/P has already described the cabli ng in place which is more than enough for a *simple* serial transmission.

Use whatever sensor type is most convenient at the respective locations, wi th small modules locally. I mentioned Arduino Nanos because they have lots of I/O capability, are relatively cheap, and their IDE is simplified C with an extensive range of libraries.

For the main communication with the existing cable I'd use RS485 at 300 bau d. A twisted pair would have been nice, but it's not necessary at that slow spee d.

Finally, such a system is reliable, maintainable, and extensible.

--
W J G
Reply to

Den 2021-09-10 kl. 10:54, skrev Folderol:

Is it? using a pi and the ESP + a router You got everything you need. No adapters. no HATS. just use it.

And numerous people commented that it was too bad that the cable was put into the ground before the communication protocol was considered. And that twisted pair would have been better.

Just like an ESP8266. In fact - you (can) use the Arduino IDE and the Arduino c++ to program it. Cheap and easy as well + wifi capabilities

Yes that is possible. But you'll need a HAT at the pi side and not too many sensors speak RS485 out-of-the-box. More HATs or converters?

Indeed it is. But is the only - or the best - option here?

Reply to
Björn Lundin

Paraphrasing Winnie Ille Pu

"De heffalumpi, semper dubitandum est"

With Wifi, you never know....

all women"
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Agreed

With one wire, that is not necessary. The sensors will take power from the data line. Unless obe wire doies NOT work there is no need top complicate things bey adding local power and electronics

I mentioned a pi zero W because a lot more work is already done for you, it dies wifi and you can get a 1 wire hat

ideally yes, but one wire at 16.7kbs SHOULD work for nearly all, if not all, the sensors

But its over complicated And requires remote power

--
?But what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!?

Mary Wollstonecraft
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Actually - you never know with ANY communication unless you have application level ACK.

With this serial line - how do you when somebody dug of the cable/a plug was lose/a soldering was bad ?

No way you can know. With any comms the base rule is - use application level ack if you care about your data.

And in this case - wifi or serial or bongo drums - if no data arrives within a minute or so - something is wrong. No matter transportation of data.

Reply to
Björn Lundin