Zenith TV ~1993 blur/dark

Got a high end Zenith TV, think it's a 29". Looks to be somewhere from 90-94 model. S-video, PiP, lots of dandy stuff for a CRT set. Don't have the model number on hand, I'll post it later. Hasn't been turned on in about 5 years. The picture is darker than it should be and a little blurry. The CRT filaments do not appear to be as bright as they ought to be. Tried adjusting the focus and brightness on the flyback without much success, only washed the image out more. Is it likely to be a junker, or maybe something wrong in the flyback or the power supply of the CRT? The thing I don't like is not seeing bright orange CRT filaments. I think that may mean trouble. Too bad, it's a nice set otherwise.

Reply to
Ryan Underwood

No such a thing as High End Zenith... Sounds like the regular Zenith CRT failure..

Reply to
kip

Bright orange filaments usually mean a problem in most standard picture tubes.

Reply to
dkuhajda

Zenith Tvs of that era are known for CRT failures, probably a junker.

Reply to
Jumpster Jiver

90-94

model

years.

filaments

focus

image out

flyback or

bright

nice

Look for (4 - 5) 120 Kohm resistors on the CRT board that changed value... usually well into the Megohms. After changing those resistors most Zenith's appeared okay again.

Reply to
Do Little2

Well, there's a lead to try out. I'll let y'all know if anything comes of it. Thanks!

Reply to
Ryan Underwood